Hey I've been contracted do design some cover art for a friend - she's self-publishing her book on Kindle. Here's the contract - does it sound fair to you girls? I'm meeting up with her tomorrow to discuss.
* L agrees to produce cover art for A's novel.
* A shall be the 'creative director' of the cover art, and L shall be the artist and creator of the cover art.
* Cover art shall be described as any drawing or photo that L has made, created or produced and that A uses for any novel that she has written.
* L shall retain all rights to her art and photos, with the stipulation that she does not use them to promote herself or her art unless mentioning A's novels congruently.
* A agrees to pay L a $50 advance for the cover art for the novel by May 15th, 2011.
* A agrees to pay L an additional $150 after the novel is published and A has received her first check from those sales.
* A agrees to pay L 1% of all sales from the book if those sales exceed $3,000.
* L's contract prices for following books shall be negotiated on a per-book basis, but shall not be less than the amounts detailed in this contract.
* At no time shall either L or A allow creative disagreements to interfere with getting the cover art in place for the novel.
* Cover art for the book shall be totally finished by L no later than May 15th, 2011.