or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › YEE HAW! We've got colostrum!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

YEE HAW! We've got colostrum!! - Page 2

post #21 of 34
I'm almost 24 weeks and not leaking yet. However, if I try I can get a little wetness out of my right boob. I'm kind of worried about the left one working. It has always been super small and hasn't grown any since I got pregnant.
post #22 of 34

Wow, I had no idea it was so common to have colustrum so early. I haven't noticed anything yet, but haven't tried expressing either. My boobs are huge and sore though. I am in the uni computer lab now but seriously tempted to go to the bathroom and see right now! lol.gif

post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

I'm almost 24 weeks and not leaking yet. However, if I try I can get a little wetness out of my right boob. I'm kind of worried about the left one working. It has always been super small and hasn't grown any since I got pregnant.


With DS I had this happen when I first started to produce colostrum, except my smaller side isn't super small. Yet when it came to actually nursing DS preferred to nurse from the smaller side, and when I expressed I always got more milk on the smaller side too. So I don't think you should be worried about it. Some women get nothing until after birth, which is when you need it anyway.

 

I'm only 21 weeks today and wasn't planning on checking any time soon, but this morning I noticed a slight crust on my right nipple, so I know I had a teeny tiny amount of leakage overnight last night, but like last time nothing showing up on my smaller left side. It'll probably start in a few weeks, as it was a few weeks behind last time too, but then became the preferred side for DS to nurse.

 

I am soooo excited to start nursing again when this baby arrives. This time I know I can make it work for at least the whole first year, no matter what I have to do. I know nursing right away after birth this time should help put us on the right track.

post #24 of 34

I was able to express a little colostrum a couple of weeks ago, but when I tried again over the weekend...nothing.  However, DS is nursing more these days and doesn't seem to be frustrated or anything.  If anything, it seems like I'm hearing even more swallowing sounds that I have in a while and his nursing sessions are getting longer.  I have to assume that the girls are making SOMETHING for him to be so happy to nurse again.  I've never been able to hand express very efficiently, so it's probably user error that's causing me to not get anything out.  I guess I could pull out the breast pump if I really want to check.

post #25 of 34

Ok I tried, clumsily, and there was no sign of anything. And, um, I totally felt like a cow! Heehee. Not in a bad way, cows are awesome. And I feel like one anyway, all placid and huge and grazing the day away.


Edited by ursusarctos - 4/19/11 at 1:11pm
post #26 of 34

My milk turned into colostrum around 14 weeks (I'm still nursing DS, and occasionally DD). I was trying to express some for medicinal purposes and noticed, hey, this is different! Lol. I then realized, oh right, colostrum. :)

post #27 of 34

Is it odd that I get a little bit of what looks like mature breast milk - a drop of opaque creamy white, mixed with the transparent yellow-gold - on one side?

post #28 of 34

These are my first, so I really don't know.  smile.gif

post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post

Is it odd that I get a little bit of what looks like mature breast milk - a drop of opaque creamy white, mixed with the transparent yellow-gold - on one side?

 

That's normal as far as I know!  Mine is still clear but I know in a few weeks as I closer to delivery it turns whiteish yellow.

post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I am soooo excited to start nursing again when this baby arrives. This time I know I can make it work for at least the whole first year, no matter what I have to do.

 

Yea! I know you expressed some anxiety before, so it's so awesome to hear your positivity! 


I've been such a complainer and negative thinker lately (about bfing, home birthing, and life) , so I'm trying to change that around. Thanks for sharing your positivity!

post #31 of 34


Great!  Thanks.  Since it's just like that one side, I was less sure what to think.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post



 

That's normal as far as I know!  Mine is still clear but I know in a few weeks as I closer to delivery it turns whiteish yellow.


 

 

post #32 of 34
Thread Starter 

It makes me happy that everyone is practicing their hand expressing on my account orngbiggrin.gif  It's a good skill to have in a pinch too!!!  (Heh, in a pinch...)

 

In all seriousness though, I've just felt so "bleh" through this whole pregnancy.  I truly do view nursing as a super power of sorts...  I'm still occasionally nursing my DS too, so this just makes me feel like I'm on the road to functioning.  It's a good feeling!

 

I will reiterate to any mamas reading this thread, that making colostrum or being able to express colostrum at any point in pregnancy is no indication of whether you'll have colostrum or be a good milker postpartum.  The two are unrelated!!

post #33 of 34

Never been pregnant before and... whoa! This just happened to me for the first time! Was wondering why my boob felt wet and... oh... surprise!! winky.gif hahaha

 

Logged onto mothering to see if it had happened to anyone else too and, sure enough! Mine is just clear so far, and not very much. Haven't tried expressing or anything. But wow! Glad to know they work right, I guess! lol

 

 

 

 

post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Ok I tried, clumsily, and there was no sign of anything. And, um, I totally felt like a cow! Heehee. Not in a bad way, cows are awesome. And I feel like one anyway, all placid and huge and grazing the day away.


ROTFLMAO.gif  Ha!  This made me actually laugh out loud! 
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › YEE HAW! We've got colostrum!!