This question is a continuation of my last post about being concerned about travelling to a foreign country without getting the MMR shot for my toddler. I wanted to point out that the country we are visiting does not have clean faucet water. Nobody drinks the faucet water... they do shower in it though. Should this be a factor in my decision to vaccinate or not?
Related Forum Threads
- Delayed vaccination and traveling to Qatar with 5 month old Last post on 4/26/11 at 12:35pm in Vaccinations
- Would you take your child to a foreign country with no MMR vaccine? Last post on 4/19/11 at 10:40pm in Vaccinations
- herd immunity - science and philosophy of. Last post on 7/28/11 at 12:05pm in Vaccinations
- Is it dangerous to skip the MMR and Chickenpox vaccine? Last post on 8/25/12 at 2:54pm in Vaccinations
- MMR vax- first dose-- for my 5 year old? Last post on 7/5/11 at 9:25am in Vaccinations
Edited on 6/27/11
- Selectively Vaccinating For International TravelEdited on 6/27/11
- Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer Travels!Edited on 5/15/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Edited on 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesEdited on 1/18/13
Travel to a country that does not have clean faucet water?post #2 of 54/16/11 at 6:05pmpost #3 of 54/19/11 at 10:24amhttp://www.who.int/ith/ITH2010.pdf
is a terrific source for all travel-related health concerns, including the current prevalence of disease in different regions, the current requirements for vaccination for entry to certain countries, and a good assessment of the risk of infection with any number of diseases, by region.
None of the disease protected against by the MMR are spread through contaminated water. The diseases we typically vax for in the West, which ARE spread in water, are polio and hep A. Vaccines are also available to prevent cholera, but they are typically only recommended for folks who will be in refugee camps and similar circumstances.
Diphtheria is spread similarly to how flu is spread, not through unclean water.
There are a few dozen parasitic, protozoal, bacterial, and viral illnesses that are spread through contaminated water, and I would take that risk very seriously, and take all of the recommended precautions.
But no, I don't think the MMR would top my list of concerns, no.
Edited by Llyra - 4/19/11 at 10:38ampost #4 of 55/7/11 at 4:14pm
- Travel to a country that does not have clean faucet water?
- Selectively Vaccinating For International Travel
Currently, there are 876 Active Users (45 Members and 831 Guests)
- › Weekly Chat - May 7 to May 13 3 minutes ago
- › Cloth Diaper Stores? 5 minutes ago
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 11 minutes ago
- › Queer parents 13 minutes ago
- › At what age does socialization become really important? 19 minutes ago
- › May Chat Thread! 26 minutes ago
- › I need insight about my teen's sexuality 28 minutes ago
- › May TWW Thread 43 minutes ago
- › How old is "old enough" to leave a teen home alone overnight? 43 minutes ago
- › we have such a hard time stopping/leaving activities. I am so... 51 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11