or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Page 6

post #101 of 296

Hey ladies!  I have an appt. at the diabetes clinic tomorrow, and after talking with some people, I'm going to decline the oral meds and go with the insulin. A friend told me the sticking is easier than the blood testing I'm already doing, plus the glyburide sounds really sketchy.  My sister is a doctor, and she said to go with the glyburide, but then when I asked what she would do personally, she said insulin. (she's very conservative personally with medication).   I'm actually planning a homebirth, and seeing the doctors on the side as shadow care 'cause all the testing and whatever is free, plus in case of transfer.    The MW doesn't seem concerned at all by the GD, but is happy to help me manage it.  My sister said at her hospital (just like you said, Bean Sprout Mama) they take the baby away for six hours of monitoring!  GAK!)  I don't know the policy yet at 'my' hosp, but I know they are the opposite of progressive.  Sis advised me to do the insulin in order to ensure a small baby and make for an easier homebirth with less chance of transfer.  Plus, if my blood sugar is kept low and stable the baby should have no sugar issues postpartum.   She agreed that a homebirth was better for a GD birth because cortisol (stress hormones) make blood sugar go up, so it's much much better to have your baby on  you and happy.     My last was 10#, so I know I can do it, but thinking back through the happy post-birth hormones, it was a lot of work squeezing him out. 

post #102 of 296

Yes. Stress totally raises blood sugar. A lot. I'm finding that out the hard way right now.

 

Took my cat to the vet on Tuesday for lack of appetite and found out that his heart is failing. And now I'm watching him lay on the floor, struggling to breathe, hoping that he makes it through the night and to the veterinary cardiologist appointment tomorrow morning. My blood sugar, which has been nice and low and super well controlled, is currently about 40 points higher than it was before this happened.

 

It's all even more stressful knowing that the more upset I feel, the worse my blood sugar gets. Difficult to be placed between wanting to cry over your dying pet and needing to remain serene for your unborn child. GD sucks hardcore right now. bawling.gif

 

(Sorry to dump that on you all.)

post #103 of 296

I am so sorry about your cat, and  I hope things go well at the cardiologist.  That is an impossible situation!  

post #104 of 296
Thread Starter 

thesan - hope your cat is ok. Please have yourself a good cry - that is honestly the best stress release you could find.

 

Stress definitely messes with blood sugar but it's a temporary in the moment thing. Once the stress passes/is dealt with/released then they return to what they were.

post #105 of 296

The vet cardiologist saw us a day early. Shuffled us through their emergency department and saved my kitty's life.

joy.gif

 

He's still got severe heart disease and will live a limited life. But on medication, we can make the rest of it happy at least. It was pretty amazing being able to watch my stress level go down, quantitatively, through my blood sugar. It was SUPER high (for me) until the cat was in recovery. And then we had a few hours to wait for him to wake up from sedatives, so we went out to eat. I haven't been to a restaurant since I got my diagnosis...and it kind of intimidated me. But I was starving! And my number afterward was pretty darn normal.

 

It's incredible how monitoring even this one little thing really cues you into how integrated your whole body is. How something as simple as the way you're feeling emotionally that day trickles down and affects everything else.

post #106 of 296

Thesan I'm glad your kitty is okay! I know what you mean about stress.  I notice my sugar is a little higher when I'm stressed out too. I also notice it's higher in the morning when I don't get good sleep, which just makes me more stressed because I lay in bed worrying about what my fasting sugar will be if I don't get to sleep right away and then I'm tired. Blah.  I am really not a fan of this whole process.

post #107 of 296

So, I just started testing my sugars at home after I threw up at my 3-hr GTT.  My first test was borderline at my MW's office (144 at 2 hrs) after a carb-heavy breakfast.  So now I'm testing at home 4x a day and I am kind of confused.. I hope you ladies can help! 

What is better or more accurate- testing at 1hr post start of meal, or 2 hrs?  MW just said to pick one and be consistent, so I did 1 hr because I didn't want to get too occupied and forget at 2hrs.  But I eat really slow so often I am testing just 30-40 minutes after I finish eating.  Does that matter?


What if I snack throughout the day?  I know I'm supposed to be eating snacks and small meals but how does that affect testing if I have, say, a small snack of cheese and crackers and then eat dinner an hour later and then test an hour after that?  

 

So far my fasting # was good (81) and my breakfast was better than I expected (130 after 1 hour- I had a whole wheat bagel (60 carbs!) and an egg and cheese) then I had a small apple for a late morning snack.  3 hours later I ate a small serving of pasta with lots of sauce and veggie meatballs, along with 1/4 of a small eggplant, stuffed with some bread crumbs and lots of veggies.  I ate a small cookie, and when I tested it was 160!!  Still borderline, but agh.  I feel like I should be able to eat a bit of dessert?!  Shouldn't normal prego mamas be able to have a little dessert each day?  Is this a bad sign?  

 

Everyone is telling me to just watch my carbs while I'm testing, but to me that negates the test to begin with.  If I try to eat a GD diet while testing, and then I'm "fine" doesn't that mean that I have GD since I am on the diet?  So I'm trying to eat normal meals, and even kind of test my limits to see what happens.  In my opinion, our bodies should be able to manage even a heavy-ish carb load (like a regular meal and cookie) so if my numbers are high when I do that then I feel like that means I have GD.  

I just don't want to mess it up, because I think GD has really serious consequences for baby and I am planning an out-of-hospital birth.  I don't want to take risks.  If I have GD i want to know and I want to control it.  

Thoughts? Advice?!

 

(PS ohmyword are those freaking test strips ever EXPENSIVE!  Holy wow!)

post #108 of 296

That's great!  I'm glad you're both feeling better!  So....what did you eat at this restaurant?  (I've been dreaming of cereal, and lurking on baking blogs, I want to eat "normal" food so badly).  I just showed my midwife photos from my last birth, and she's definitely now in favor of me staying on the diet and keeping my sugar down because the delivery looked like my son might have been a bit 'stuck'.  The good news is my numbers were well controlled last week, so the diabetic clinic isn't putting me on any meds *yet*.    

post #109 of 296

I had a chicken caesar salad. Plus a bit of my husband's meal. And the after dinner mint. Salad was the only thing I felt confident ordering. We were at an Olive Garden. So it was kind of that, pasta, or...more pasta. Awesome that you don't have to go on meds yet!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seana View Post

That's great!  I'm glad you're both feeling better!  So....what did you eat at this restaurant?  (I've been dreaming of cereal, and lurking on baking blogs, I want to eat "normal" food so badly).  I just showed my midwife photos from my last birth, and she's definitely now in favor of me staying on the diet and keeping my sugar down because the delivery looked like my son might have been a bit 'stuck'.  The good news is my numbers were well controlled last week, so the diabetic clinic isn't putting me on any meds *yet*.    

post #110 of 296

I was told to test at 1 hour after meals. But I don't know whether that's supposed to be more accurate or not. My blood sugar tends to drop quite a bit in the second hour though. So if I was testing then, I'd definitely be missing my high. One hour definitely doesn't give you long to eat. That's my least favorite part about it! Sometimes I feel like I'm stuffing my face just so that I can get done in ten or fifteen minutes and have enough time to go for a walk or something before I need to test.

 

For snacks, I try to space them at least 2 hours out from any meals so that any mild rise in my blood sugar will be gone by the time I eat again. Doesn't seem to make any difference what I eat for them as long as it's something small. A piece of fruit and some cheese or something.

 

I still eat dessert. I just eat it in small portions. And, honestly, your blood sugar might have suffered more from the pasta than the cookie. It always boggles my mind how I can eat a piece of chocolate, which feels so BAD, and not get the same rise as I do from a slice of whole wheat bread, which feels like it should be okay. Pasta, in particular, has a lot of carbs in a tiny portion.

 

If you're only testing at the moment to try to nail down a GD diagnosis...maybe go ahead and eat normal meals to see what numbers you get. A couple of highs here and there isn't going to be harmful so long as you're not consistently getting them. Or staying that high for a long time. If you get an official diagnosis, insurance ought to cover your testing supplies. At least, mine does outside of a co-pay. (I think I pay about $30/month for all of my test strips and lancets.) But a 160 is definitely higher than you want to be getting at 1 hour. I'm supposed to stay under 135 at one hour after a meal. Your breakfast number is great for having a bagel though. I'm pretty sensitive to breads at breakfast. I can't imagine what an entire bagel would do to me.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

So, I just started testing my sugars at home after I threw up at my 3-hr GTT.  My first test was borderline at my MW's office (144 at 2 hrs) after a carb-heavy breakfast.  So now I'm testing at home 4x a day and I am kind of confused.. I hope you ladies can help! 

What is better or more accurate- testing at 1hr post start of meal, or 2 hrs?  MW just said to pick one and be consistent, so I did 1 hr because I didn't want to get too occupied and forget at 2hrs.  But I eat really slow so often I am testing just 30-40 minutes after I finish eating.  Does that matter?


What if I snack throughout the day?  I know I'm supposed to be eating snacks and small meals but how does that affect testing if I have, say, a small snack of cheese and crackers and then eat dinner an hour later and then test an hour after that?  

 

So far my fasting # was good (81) and my breakfast was better than I expected (130 after 1 hour- I had a whole wheat bagel (60 carbs!) and an egg and cheese) then I had a small apple for a late morning snack.  3 hours later I ate a small serving of pasta with lots of sauce and veggie meatballs, along with 1/4 of a small eggplant, stuffed with some bread crumbs and lots of veggies.  I ate a small cookie, and when I tested it was 160!!  Still borderline, but agh.  I feel like I should be able to eat a bit of dessert?!  Shouldn't normal prego mamas be able to have a little dessert each day?  Is this a bad sign?  

 

Everyone is telling me to just watch my carbs while I'm testing, but to me that negates the test to begin with.  If I try to eat a GD diet while testing, and then I'm "fine" doesn't that mean that I have GD since I am on the diet?  So I'm trying to eat normal meals, and even kind of test my limits to see what happens.  In my opinion, our bodies should be able to manage even a heavy-ish carb load (like a regular meal and cookie) so if my numbers are high when I do that then I feel like that means I have GD.  

I just don't want to mess it up, because I think GD has really serious consequences for baby and I am planning an out-of-hospital birth.  I don't want to take risks.  If I have GD i want to know and I want to control it.  

Thoughts? Advice?!

 

(PS ohmyword are those freaking test strips ever EXPENSIVE!  Holy wow!)



 

post #111 of 296
Thread Starter 

jbk21 - sorry you threw up with the testing - I know it always leaves me feeling pretty awful.

 

I test at the one hour mark as this is usually when your blood sugar (bs) spike will be - so doing so at this point will hopefully show what your highest point is. I understand this can be different for different people so doing some 2 hour tests will help you see what your body is doing & what you should monitor.

 

I eat throughout the day. Sometimes it is hours between meals but often it has been less than 2 hours between meals. That is ok. In fact it is better to be keeping consistent levels throughout the day than to have big spikes up & down (which having fewer meals can do to some people).

 

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are asking in the next part but I'll try. My question is - are you monitoring because you suspect gd & are trying to get things going or are you monitoring to figure out if you have gd to make up for the test?

 

It sounds like maybe what you want to be doing is to eat the way you generally have been eating for a few days of testing. If eating that way you are consistently getting numbers higher than your goals then start modifying your diet in accommodation. I think you are right in your reasoning that if your body cannot handle your current diet then you likely do have gd & need to eat appropriately to that.

 

As for we "should" be able to eat dessert - I'm sorry to break it to you but many of us simply cannot. Not unless we want to see a high reading afterwards. Some people have come up with some pretty good alternatives/recipes but I find it simpler to just avoid it for the time being. In fact each of us has discovered there are some things we simply cannot handle. I cannot do fruit AT ALL but some women find it is ok. It takes a little bit of watching to figure out what works best for our own bodies.

 

I hope this helps a little bit anyways.

post #112 of 296

This was all really helpful (you too Thesan, but I can't figure out multi-quotes!)  

Okay, so to clarify a few things I said-  I am monitoring both because I suspect it and because I am making up for the test.  We're trying to get to a diagnosis.  My MW is convinced I don't have GD, but I think I might based on a few things.  Namely, I have spilled glucose into my urine twice.  Also, I feel pretty awful (lightheaded, loopy, a little sick) after meals, especially if there was a significant amount of carbs.  Finally, I had the borderline result after my alternative meal GTT and I threw up at the 3hr (I never throw up, ever.)  So instead of just saying, "meh, I don't think I have it" I really want to get a diagnosis and do it right because I am concerned about baby and my out-of-hospital birth.  Better safe than sorry :-)

 

I think you're right about eating normally for a few days.  That is helpful.  As for what I said about dessert, I meant that a normal, non-GD mom should be able to have a little dessert every once in a while, right?  I know that many GD moms can't tolerate it, but that's what I mean-- I feel like if I did NOT have GD that dessert wouldn't cause a sugar spike (it also makes me feel woozy).  So that's why I'm concerned- dessert makes me feel yucky, and it might be causing my BS to go up, so that leads me to believe that I am having a hard time metabolizing the carbs, thus GD.  

(I'm not trying to sound like I'm dumbing anything down, just trying to be clear and this is all so confusing to me!)

 

Sigh.  This is frustrating.  I almost wish I hadn't gotten sick at my 3hr so I could just have the stupid diagnosis.  

 

 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

 

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are asking in the next part but I'll try. My question is - are you monitoring because you suspect gd & are trying to get things going or are you monitoring to figure out if you have gd to make up for the test?

 

It sounds like maybe what you want to be doing is to eat the way you generally have been eating for a few days of testing. If eating that way you are consistently getting numbers higher than your goals then start modifying your diet in accommodation. I think you are right in your reasoning that if your body cannot handle your current diet then you likely do have gd & need to eat appropriately to that.

 

As for we "should" be able to eat dessert - I'm sorry to break it to you but many of us simply cannot. Not unless we want to see a high reading afterwards. Some people have come up with some pretty good alternatives/recipes but I find it simpler to just avoid it for the time being. In fact each of us has discovered there are some things we simply cannot handle. I cannot do fruit AT ALL but some women find it is ok. It takes a little bit of watching to figure out what works best for our own bodies.

 

I hope this helps a little bit anyways.



 

post #113 of 296

144 at 2 hours is pretty high (IMO). Normal (non-pregnant, non-insulin-resistant) people would likely be back close to fasting by 2 hours. From what I understand, truly normal spike is not over 120, many guidelines for GD want you under 130 at your highest, others 140. But there is no one standard, so it depends on your practitioner. For me, I am doing this as much for my baby and my own health (long term), and I really want to do what I can to stay within normal blood sugar limits. And diet works for me, so I just stick with it. Anyway, I think that others are right- eat normally for a few days, and talk to MW. And if you are seeing numbers that are elevated, then whether or not they give you a diagnosis, then yes

 

Testing at 1 hour is often recommended now b/c most people spike between 45-85 minutes after they begin eating. You could do extra testing and find out when your spike is. This is my second pregnancy self-monitoring (I didn't do screening this time around) and I am generally down to low 90s or even 80s again at 2 hours, unless I ate a LOT of carbs (which I really don't do). If I tested at 2 hours, I would be eating very different foods.... and not realizing how high my blood sugar was going. That is me though, not a long "tail"... I spike high and then metabolize the sugar pretty quickly.

 

Strips: can you get a prescription for them? That will bring the cost way down. And once you've been testing for a while, you will know what your normal response is and may be able to test less often. This pregnancy, my numbers have been very good, and my MWs have me testing fasting every day and one post-meal, and I switch up which one. I didn't do the screening or get an official diagnosis and MWs were still able to prescribe them.

 

Desserts: I think you are right- people without impaired glucose tolerance CAN eat sweets and their blood sugar simply doesn't spike as high. It doesn't mean its healthy for them for other reasons, but no, their blood sugar doesn't go high and drops back down soon afterwards. Its not fair! All pregnant women have some insulin resistance (compared with their normal) but still, they don't get these higher numbers. And I agree with lifeguard. Many of us just can't have much in the way of dessert and maintain normal/healthy blood sugar (you can, obviously, still decide to have dessert. But its probably a good idea to keep it to a once-a-week thing or something very limited, not a regular part of one's diet). But I crave it! Here are some that work better for me: I make a very low sugar chocolate pudding with silken tofu (sounds gross, tastes GREAT) topped plain whipped cream (best if you let it set in the fridge for a while). I also make that as a "pie" with a nut/coconut crust (no flour/grain, but kind of tastes like a cookie-crumb crust). You can also make an avocado pudding similarly (google it for recipes). Berries with cream (either whipped or as is) is a good tasty option. I make myself "cocoa" with hot water, unsweet cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, stevia and some heavy cream or half-and-half. Full-fat greek yogurt (or any full-fat plain yogurt) with some berries, some sliced toasted almonds, maybe a tiny squidge of xylitol or a TINY drizzle of agave if you really crave the sweetness. The coconut-based "ice creams" ("so delicious" is one brand) are a lot lower carb. You can make a chocolate "shell" for it by melting coconut oil and high quality unsweetened chocolate together, and then adding a tiny bit of sweetener (I usually mix stevia, xylitol and a few drops of honey). I keep frozen berries around, can make a sort of slushy berries and yogurt mush in a small bowl, for me that sometimes just hits the spot.

 

I'm not so active on here this time b/c my blood sugar has just been overall really good with this pregnancy. Its so nice, I was very stressed and obsessed about it with my previous pregnancy. Control was harder last time. I am not sure why the difference but I'm certainly not complaining. I am used to a much lower carb diet though, so it also just might *feel* easier. I pretty much eat no grain or potatoes, limit my fruit, don't use sugar... now that I have made the adjustment, its not THAT hard. And I "cheat" less while pregnant than I did when I was not pregnant.

 

FWIW, I had a 9lb baby at 40w4d last time, a totally complication-free homebirth, and she was born in under 3 hours.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk21 View Post

So, I just started testing my sugars at home after I threw up at my 3-hr GTT.  My first test was borderline at my MW's office (144 at 2 hrs) after a carb-heavy breakfast.  So now I'm testing at home 4x a day and I am kind of confused.. I hope you ladies can help! 


What is better or more accurate- testing at 1hr post start of meal, or 2 hrs?  MW just said to pick one and be consistent, so I did 1 hr because I didn't want to get too occupied and forget at 2hrs.  But I eat really slow so often I am testing just 30-40 minutes after I finish eating.  Does that matter?


What if I snack throughout the day?  I know I'm supposed to be eating snacks and small meals but how does that affect testing if I have, say, a small snack of cheese and crackers and then eat dinner an hour later and then test an hour after that?  

 

So far my fasting # was good (81) and my breakfast was better than I expected (130 after 1 hour- I had a whole wheat bagel (60 carbs!) and an egg and cheese) then I had a small apple for a late morning snack.  3 hours later I ate a small serving of pasta with lots of sauce and veggie meatballs, along with 1/4 of a small eggplant, stuffed with some bread crumbs and lots of veggies.  I ate a small cookie, and when I tested it was 160!!  Still borderline, but agh.  I feel like I should be able to eat a bit of dessert?!  Shouldn't normal prego mamas be able to have a little dessert each day?  Is this a bad sign?  

 

Everyone is telling me to just watch my carbs while I'm testing, but to me that negates the test to begin with.  If I try to eat a GD diet while testing, and then I'm "fine" doesn't that mean that I have GD since I am on the diet?  So I'm trying to eat normal meals, and even kind of test my limits to see what happens.  In my opinion, our bodies should be able to manage even a heavy-ish carb load (like a regular meal and cookie) so if my numbers are high when I do that then I feel like that means I have GD.  

I just don't want to mess it up, because I think GD has really serious consequences for baby and I am planning an out-of-hospital birth.  I don't want to take risks.  If I have GD i want to know and I want to control it.  

Thoughts? Advice?!

 

(PS ohmyword are those freaking test strips ever EXPENSIVE!  Holy wow!)



 

post #114 of 296


Thanks for the tips!  

I'm getting frustrated with my numbers.  I know every practice is different, so I'm not yet sure what my MW will think of them, but I often have numbers in the 130s at 1 hour.  I think 140 is the lower limit for "borderline" but if a GD mom is supposed to try to keep her sugars under 120 (from what I've read) than isn't 130 sort of high?  Today I got a 175 after a meal of pasta with sauce, veggie meatballs, and a small cucumber.  I didn't have dessert, and I was kind of testing what white pasta does to me.  Obviously I don't tolerate it.... So then for dinner I "made up" for it and had a veggie curry- no beans, no rice... just steamed greens with eggplant, cauliflower, onions, and carrots in a curry sauce.  I had one slice of oat bread.  Overall, a really low-carb dinner for me and my number was still 125.  125 isn't high, but I was shocked that it was THAT high after a dinner of basically just veggies.  If the "standard" GDM diet recommends 3 carb servings at dinner and I only had one, isn't that odd?  Maybe I'm analyzing this too much but it just seems like I am so borderline... it's frustrating.  I want one way or the other (and hopefully I am not a gest. diabetic, of course.  Doing glucose readings so often is kind of tedious (maybe I'm just not used to it yet, but having to time when I eat and test, etc, is no fun!)

 

Anyone have any thoughts on those numbers?  My fasting is always good (80s) and my breakfast is surprisingly okay (130s even after just a whole wheat bagel) so I'm wondering why my lunches are usually highest.  Weird, right?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaegbert View Post

 

Desserts: I think you are right- people without impaired glucose tolerance CAN eat sweets and their blood sugar simply doesn't spike as high. It doesn't mean its healthy for them for other reasons, but no, their blood sugar doesn't go high and drops back down soon afterwards. Its not fair! All pregnant women have some insulin resistance (compared with their normal) but still, they don't get these higher numbers. And I agree with lifeguard. Many of us just can't have much in the way of dessert and maintain normal/healthy blood sugar (you can, obviously, still decide to have dessert. But its probably a good idea to keep it to a once-a-week thing or something very limited, not a regular part of one's diet). But I crave it! Here are some that work better for me: I make a very low sugar chocolate pudding with silken tofu (sounds gross, tastes GREAT) topped plain whipped cream (best if you let it set in the fridge for a while). I also make that as a "pie" with a nut/coconut crust (no flour/grain, but kind of tastes like a cookie-crumb crust). You can also make an avocado pudding similarly (google it for recipes). Berries with cream (either whipped or as is) is a good tasty option. I make myself "cocoa" with hot water, unsweet cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, stevia and some heavy cream or half-and-half. Full-fat greek yogurt (or any full-fat plain yogurt) with some berries, some sliced toasted almonds, maybe a tiny squidge of xylitol or a TINY drizzle of agave if you really crave the sweetness. The coconut-based "ice creams" ("so delicious" is one brand) are a lot lower carb. You can make a chocolate "shell" for it by melting coconut oil and high quality unsweetened chocolate together, and then adding a tiny bit of sweetener (I usually mix stevia, xylitol and a few drops of honey). I keep frozen berries around, can make a sort of slushy berries and yogurt mush in a small bowl, for me that sometimes just hits the spot.

 


 



 

post #115 of 296

Your dinner number might have been higher than you expected because of the pasta you had earlier. It spiked you very high. Plus, pasta has a long tail. It takes a while for your body to process and can still be elevating your blood sugar up to four hours later. (Even the supposedly low carb stuff.) So you might have started the meal with slightly elevated blood sugar to begin with. Carrots also can be a source of hidden sugar. Although they alone shouldn't have got you into the 120 range.

 

My diabetes nurse wants me to keep my one hour readings under 135. I aim for under 120...but that's considered a pretty strict standard, I think.

 

You should try going for a short walk after meals if you have the time. After lunch, especially, if that seems to be your problem meal. A simple 20-30 minute, moderately paced walk can really lower the numbers you get. By the same token, if you get a high number you didn't expect, a quick walk can help to bring it down and get you back to a normal level. You don't want to be staying high too long.

post #116 of 296


Yeah, that's just the thing though- I went for a long walk after lunch once I saw that high number, then I didn't have dinner for another 5.5 hours (had a string cheese for a snack in between.)  Argh... so frustrating.  I wish this was simpler greensad.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesan83 View Post

Your dinner number might have been higher than you expected because of the pasta you had earlier. It spiked you very high. Plus, pasta has a long tail. It takes a while for your body to process and can still be elevating your blood sugar up to four hours later. (Even the supposedly low carb stuff.) So you might have started the meal with slightly elevated blood sugar to begin with. Carrots also can be a source of hidden sugar. Although they alone shouldn't have got you into the 120 range.

 

My diabetes nurse wants me to keep my one hour readings under 135. I aim for under 120...but that's considered a pretty strict standard, I think.

 

You should try going for a short walk after meals if you have the time. After lunch, especially, if that seems to be your problem meal. A simple 20-30 minute, moderately paced walk can really lower the numbers you get. By the same token, if you get a high number you didn't expect, a quick walk can help to bring it down and get you back to a normal level. You don't want to be staying high too long.



 

post #117 of 296

Hmm...Maybe it's something as simple as you just don't tolerate the oat bread very well? I dunno...

 

All kinds of stupid, little things can give you a randomly high number.

 

I've gotten a few that have surprised me. Once I retested right away...just put in a fresh strip and used the same drop of blood. And I got a number some 18 points lower. Another time I ate one of my usual meals and got a way higher number than I expected. Retested and it was still high. I couldn't explain it. And my nurse just sort of shrugged it off as a one-time thing.

post #118 of 296
Thread Starter 

jbk - was there any protein in that dinner? Veggies are actually a carb source - much lower than grains or fruit or sugar but still technically a carb. So a meal of only veggies could most definitely raise your bs levels. Adding more protein & healthy fats to your meals should slow down the carb absorption.

post #119 of 296


Ah-ha!  I had a string cheese before dinner but the only protein I ate with the meal was the whole grain bread.  Good point!  I meant to add garbanzo beans but forgot :-(  Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

jbk - was there any protein in that dinner? Veggies are actually a carb source - much lower than grains or fruit or sugar but still technically a carb. So a meal of only veggies could most definitely raise your bs levels. Adding more protein & healthy fats to your meals should slow down the carb absorption.



 

post #120 of 296
Thread Starter 

Cheese is generally more of a carb source than a protein source - check your labels. This goes for most dairy products in fact. Your whole grain bread is also going to be fairly minimal in the protein category unless it is ezekiel or something similar - again check your label. In our house we only count a food as a protein source if it is the highest count of macronutrients for that food (ie. peanut butter is therefore a fat because there are more grams of fat than protein).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › The New Gestational Diabetes Support Thread