or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Best book on breastfeeding for a young mom-to-be?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best book on breastfeeding for a young mom-to-be?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

What would your recommendation be for one easy to read but informative and supportive breastfeeding book for a teen mom?   Thanks in advance!


 

 

 

 

post #2 of 10

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (i think it's by La Leche League International...someone else might know better!).

post #3 of 10
Definitely NOT The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I find it terribly preachy and biased in favor of sahms, with a very unsubtle undercurrent of: working mother = very unfortunate and/or selfish mother.

For the young woman in question, I would get So That's What They're For by Janet Tomaso (revised, 3rd ed.) It's a fun, informative book for the woman who hasn't spent years pondering breastfeeding yay or nay. I like her conversational tone, her upfront acknowledgment that bf may seem really strange at first and that she doesn't sugarcoat the fact that there can be problems. I also like her really encouraging tone and strong advocacy. Overall message: You can do this.

http://www.amazon.com/So-Thats-What-Theyre-Breastfeeding/dp/1580620418
post #4 of 10

I like both books mentioned above, but my favorite by a huge margin is BESTFEEDING.

post #5 of 10

 

Yup, another rec for So That's What They're For by Janet Tamaro.  I rec this book to EVERYONE.  It's funny, sensible, not preachy but factual, and overall just a good read.  It's so informative and just a great book for a first time mom -- no matter what her age.  Get it!!

 

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 

I lookes over the table of contents and first few pages of "so thats what theyre for" on amazon.  I wish I'd had this book when I was first starting!


 

 

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by averlee View Post

I like both books mentioned above, but my favorite by a huge margin is BESTFEEDING.



This is my favourite, too.  I used to have two copies, kept lending them out, and no I'm not sure I even have one left :(

My only gripe with it is that it doesn't address feeding on cue.

 

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

Definitely NOT The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I find it terribly preachy and biased in favor of sahms, with a very unsubtle undercurrent of: working mother = very unfortunate and/or selfish mother.

Really? Maybe that was an older edition, I remember reading one a few years ago, and thought I knew more about breastfeeding than the book, it was more about how lovely breastfeeding is and why choose breastfeeding. Not much practical help for someone struggling!

However, the 2010 edition is fantastic, and I recommend it to anyone who is pregnant or has a new baby. It is the most comprehensive book on breastfeeding I've ever seen, and really, most troubles I've seen (including my own) could most likely have been prevented, or sorted easily, if the mother had read the chapters about first breastfeeding and the first few weeks. And I thought there was quite a lot about working mothers, and not at all judgmental, just a supportive "go with what you feel is right for your family", and lots of help to make breastfeeding work well in any situation.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

For the young woman in question, I would get So That's What They're For by Janet Tomaso (revised, 3rd ed.) It's a fun, informative book for the woman who hasn't spent years pondering breastfeeding yay or nay. I like her conversational tone, her upfront acknowledgment that bf may seem really strange at first and that she doesn't sugarcoat the fact that there can be problems. I also like her really encouraging tone and strong advocacy. Overall message: You can do this.

http://www.amazon.com/So-Thats-What-Theyre-Breastfeeding/dp/1580620418


Another vote for this great book!

 

post #10 of 10

Being a new mom, I may not be the best to answer this question but I'll throw this one out there:Breastfeeding Made Simple. All about keeping b-feeding simple, don't read into it to much. No scaring the reader about all the "what ifs" like the LLL book that I agree is too technical.

 

http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Made-Simple-Natural-Nursing/dp/1572248610/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IMBC7TG77T6FF&colid=1SKIWYFD8P04M

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Best book on breastfeeding for a young mom-to-be?