or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Pediatricians, and informing parents on health for children other than vaccinations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pediatricians, and informing parents on health for children other than vaccinations - Page 2

post #21 of 30

 

Quote:
 I remember reading somewhere, however, that conventional medical schools don't teach nutrition or require any education in it. 

 

The doctors I know continue to educate themselves well beyond what was learned in medical school. Just as we strive as parents to make good health decisions for our children in a world filled with info-both good and bad.

post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktreemama View Post

 

 

The doctors I know continue to educate themselves well beyond what was learned in medical school. Just as we strive as parents to make good health decisions for our children in a world filled with info-both good and bad.

That's fair and true.  I, too, continue to educate myself well beyond what I learned in my undergraduate and graduate education.  If self-education is all that it takes, then it doesn't necessarily make a doctor a better expert on nutrition than a child's parent.  I'm not saying that doctors shouldn't discuss non-vaccine-related aspects of healthy; on the contrary, I'm glad that they see a bigger picture.  But their amount of training in certain topics should be a consideration.  Honestly, I'd like to see nutrition playing a much more active role in med school curricula. 

post #23 of 30

.


Edited by member234098 - 6/8/12 at 8:59am
post #24 of 30



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktreemama View Post

 

 

ALOT more training? In what? I can complete a year of coursework via the internet and call myself an ND. Not even close to the level of competence I require.  My state does not license them anyways.

 

For us a DO was a nice middle ground. True verifiable medical knowledge and ability with a healthy dose of looking at the whole picture within the family.



 I realize that every state is different. I am merely discussing why I choose to get nutritional info elsewhere. ND's are licensed in my state and I certainly could not get an online degree in a year and practice where I live. ND's who attend accredited Naturopathic medical colleges get quite alot of training in clinical nutrition. Makes sense as the core naturopathic modalities are clinical nutrition, botanical and physical medicine, homeopathy and acupuncture.  Not sure if you are insinuating that licensed ND's cannot provide "true verifiable medical knowldege and ability"??  I agree that I would never go to an ND in a state that did not require a license to practice so if this in unavaliable to you, I can see why a DO would be a nice compromise.

post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

To answer the OP, we've (finally!) found a family practice doc who is respectful of our vaccination choices.  She does look at the whole picture and will ask questions about nutrition and supplements.  I remember reading somewhere, however, that conventional medical schools don't teach nutrition or require any education in it.  Marnica, do you have reference to that study?  It seems like I've even cited it here before...  LOL!



 here ya go

 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

post #26 of 30

DD has seen 2 pediatricians and 1 family doctor.

 

We saw a ped first, and he did not discuss anything with us whatsoever. We submitted to the standard vaccination schedule for the first nine months. He examined DD and asked us some milestone questions ("is she sitting up yet?") but that was utterly it.

 

When we decided to stop vaccinating, we just moved to a family doctor. We didn't even try to fight with the ped. Family doctor was pro-vax but respected our choice. But he did not have any advice related to health at all either.

 

Incidentally, DH and I used the same family doctor (of course). A PP has a positive story of a family doctor intervening when she was depressed. I was at the end of my rope 3 years ago and even wrote my family doctor a letter with details and told him I desperately needed help (as a followup to a visit), but I got squat. Bubkis. And the family doctor really did seem to know less about children. Maybe less than a lot of doctors. He was sure nice but he wasn't the greatest doctor.

 

So we moved back to a pediatrician. We got exactly one piece of advice from him - since DD is low weight, he recommended ice cream, as much as DD wanted. Because ice cream, as you all know, is equal (or perhaps even superior) to all other foods in terms of nourishing DD, promoting bone, muscle and organ growth, and supporting the brain. And ice cream in  unlimited quantities is an excellent foundation for a life of good dietary choices and habits, and is known to prevent diabetes, as well as support the immune system. The reason my kid is low weight is just because I haven't provided sufficient quantities of ice cream. And the fact that she is hypotonic of course is never discussed, because there couldn't possibly be a correlation. (No doctor has EVER discussed her hypotonia to me - I mention it every time, and we did a self referral to EI because no doctor ever suggested it, but they just nod and maybe they write it down but maybe not).

 

I know there are great doctors out there, but I have thus far been sorely disappointed.

post #27 of 30

 

Quote:

Not sure if you are insinuating that licensed ND's cannot provide "true verifiable medical knowldege and ability"??  I agree that I would never go to an ND in a state that did not require a license to practice so if this in unavaliable to you, I can see why a DO would be a nice compromise.

 

I am not saying that at all. I am sure there are great ones. Just for me, in my current location there is no way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktreemama View Post

 

 

I am not saying that at all. I am sure there are great ones. Just for me, in my current location there is no way to separate the wheat from the chaff.



 I think it sucks that some states do not license ND's.

post #29 of 30

The pediatrician I used to go to for my 15month old DD promoted vaccines and did not talk at all about healthy diet!  She did not even mention diet, EVER.  She pushed and pushed me to vaccinate, and I finally stopped going to see her, and instead am going to the nurse practitioner at public health.  She is great, when I told her I did not wish to vaccinate, she did not care, did not push, just accepted it.  She also commented on how my DD was snacking on a banana and an orange while we were there and said she was glad to see that she was eating fruit, and asked if she got plenty of fresh fruit and veggies in her diet.

 

The other pediatrician in my small town is just as bad as the one I was seeing.  I have a friend who sees him for her son, who is 15months old.  He was never sickly until she stopped BFing him and switched him to all solids and cows milk.  Now he is sick more often than not, and is not growing properly.  Her pediatrician has not even discussed diet with her, which is terrible because he does not get ANY fruits or veggies.  All he gets is basically hot dogs, cereal bars, candy and cows milk.  UGH!  And of course she will not listen to me because I'm not a doctor so I dont know anything!!  She does not get it that my unvaccinated DD who eats only organic food, and a TON of fresh fruits and veggies NEVER gets sick because of the fact that she eats so healthy and vaccines have not poisoned her body.  I do not know how to get through to her!  And I feel so bad for her little boy.....

 

As far as vitamin suppplements, I am not a huge fan unless they are food based, because your body does not absorb much of the synthetic vitamins anyway, and the huge doses that are found in supplements often do more harm than good, especially considering that most processed food is vitamin fortified anyway.  I think the most important thing is a variety of fresh organic foods in one's diet.

post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

 since DD is low weight, he recommended ice cream, as much as DD wanted. Because ice cream, as you all know, is equal (or perhaps even superior) to all other foods in terms of nourishing DD, promoting bone, muscle and organ growth, and supporting the brain. And ice cream in  unlimited quantities is an excellent foundation for a life of good dietary choices and habits, and is known to prevent diabetes, as well as support the immune system. The reason my kid is low weight is just because I haven't provided sufficient quantities of ice cream. And the fact that she is hypotonic of course is never discussed, because there couldn't possibly be a correlation. (No doctor has EVER discussed her hypotonia to me - I mention it every time, and we did a self referral to EI because no doctor ever suggested it, but they just nod and maybe they write it down but maybe not).

 



WOW, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!  I saw on TV one time a little girl that was very tiny for her age, and her Dr recommended for her to eat hamburgers and other fast food and drink pop!  It showed her eating and drinking all that garbage.  I was so upset by it that I just turned it off.  A healthy diet, and probably one higher in healthy proteins and good fats would help your DD, but NOT one with high sugar and empty calories!!  That is absurd!  By that I mean things like avocados, organic chicken, raw goats milk, legumes, nuts, grass-fed organic beef, etc.

I am very sorry to hear that so many people have such a hard time finding a decent care provider for their loved ones, how frustrating!!  I have had the same problem and finally went to a nurse practitioner that does well child check-ups, and she is the best I have found!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Vaccinations
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › Pediatricians, and informing parents on health for children other than vaccinations