Pro- We have puppy experience, we know what we are getting into! We have a fenced in yard, all hardwood floors for speedy clean up as we house train. We have family (again dog experienced) with our baby who will take a puppy at all times when we are at work. So there is no need to leave a puppy for long period of time. Our older children are 7 and 4 and old enough to at least let the dog in/out, etc. They did with our older dog, and were good about it. My sister and her BF live in an apartment attached to our house, and both work part-time, they are around a lot and available to help (and interested they want a puppy but don't have room in the apt).
Con- A puppy and an 8 month old? Yeah... crawling baby and teething, chewy puppy... That's like 10 cons- chewing on each others toys, crawling through puddles of pee, not being able to put the baby down and walk out of the room. Finances- I might be loosing my job and will find out in June if I'm pink-slipped. This won't be the end of the world for us, but will make things tight. DH traveling- my DH travels some for work, typically a couple weeks every couple months, but there is a potential looming trip that would be 6+ months, only home on the weekends, starting in August. We have a relatively small house, that is often cluttered with things that will become chew toys (Barbies, etc.)
DH feels that now is better than later when the baby is a toddler. Really, I don't think I will get him to wait longer than next summer. That will be two years without a dog in the house, and DH is already desperate for a dog and we're only a year into the wait! I know that the burden of this dog will fall on me, realistically. I work part-time, I don't travel for work other than an odd training here and there. He thinks now, with a pre-crawling baby (but remember, she's 7 months and 3 weeks, crawling is coming soon!) would be better than next spring at 18-20 months, when she is a running, rough and tumble toddler.
He has eyes on a pup from an accidentally bred litter of a purebred Golden (mom) and a lab mix. The pups have been raised inside, as a part of the family, with children. The Golden is reportedly exceptionally calm, and the puppies are very laid back (for pups) as well. Even if we don't get one from this litter, a Golden or Lab, either from a reputable, responsible breeder or a shelter/rescue with mostly known parentage, are the top of our list. One of our rescues was a "lab mix" who grew into his looks and really was a pit/chow with aggression issues, so we are a little hesitant on the "lab mixes". Our local Golden rescue won't place in homes with kids under 10, period. So we're out there.
OK, so, talk me down! I'm teetering on the brink of giving in. My DH is just SO desperate for a dog, he's like a little kid! I just want to say yes. Is it really, totally impossible to make this work? Anyone successfully added a puppy with a baby?