or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › How was the birth of your first?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How was the birth of your first? - Page 7

Poll Results: What was your FIRST baby's birth like? (check all that apply)

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 37% (204)
    100% Natural
  • 18% (102)
    IV
  • 15% (83)
    Pitocin (or other contraction stimulant)
  • 17% (92)
    Epidural (or other pain/sleep meds)
  • 7% (39)
    C-Section
  • 2% (16)
    Vacuum
  • 0% (5)
    Forceps
541 Total Votes  
post #121 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinette View Post

Let me preface this by saying I didnt have time to read the whole post but i thought the poll was not very comprehensive because a natural birth could really be broken down into home birth/UC/midwife assisted etc....just a thought :)


Natural birth can occur in any setting, and with anyone or no one present.  I don't see my hospital births as any less of a natural birth than an unassisted home birth.  I had no interventions.

 

post #122 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post




Natural birth can occur in any setting, and with anyone or no one present.  I don't see my hospital births as any less of a natural birth than an unassisted home birth.  I had no interventions.

 

That depends on your definition of "natural". To some people natural means no drugs. To others, it means vaginal. And then to others, natural refers to a natural state of things (without being hooked up to anything or observed and checked by staff, etc.).
 

 

post #123 of 168

I almost pushed my baby out in the triage waiting room. Nurses told me I had to wait my turn and didn't believe I was having a baby NOW because they had sent me home and hour ago  because I was only at 4 cm so I couldn't be in active labour and I was a first time mother. After some yelling from DH they ran me over to the delivery room where DD slipped right out while I was still fully dressed. Wig and all.

post #124 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post



That depends on your definition of "natural". To some people natural means no drugs. To others, it means vaginal. And then to others, natural refers to a natural state of things (without being hooked up to anything or observed and checked by staff, etc.).
 

 


Not to be a stick in the mud, but the poll clearly gives "natural" as one option followed by a series of interventions, iv, pitocin, c-section, etc.  I don't see how the location of the birth has much bearing on the question asked by the op.

 

And even if you don't think natural birth can occur in a hospital, I believe it can.  I did it twice, and it was clearly very different from what the interns, doctors, and nurses attending me had experienced.

 

post #125 of 168

I agree that natural means no interventions. I don't see how location has any relevance to determining whether or not you gave birth naturally. Birth can happen anywhere... a car, a hospital, an airplane... Heck, I even saw on TV that a woman gave birth in a tree (with flood waters below her) during Hurricane Katrina. That was a pretty amazing story.

post #126 of 168


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post




Not to be a stick in the mud, but the poll clearly gives "natural" as one option followed by a series of interventions, iv, pitocin, c-section, etc.  I don't see how the location of the birth has much bearing on the question asked by the op.

 

And even if you don't think natural birth can occur in a hospital, I believe it can.  I did it twice, and it was clearly very different from what the interns, doctors, and nurses attending me had experienced.

 



I agree with what you are saying for the sake of this discussion; in fact, "natural" did not even have to be called into question at all. Conversation merely segued into that, and I rolled with it.

 

FWIW, I had one "natural" birth in a hospital too, and it was anything but.

 

As for what Mama of Liam says, birth does indeed happen everywhere, but it's not the location that is so much an issue as it is the circumstances and environment that comes with that location. These things very much play a role in how labor happens for a woman... or, consequently, TO a woman. Then of course, interventions may become "necessary".

 

PS-- I thought labor wasn't really something that happened in planes generally speaking, since women are not advised to air-travel past a certain gestation?

post #127 of 168

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

PS-- I thought labor wasn't really something that happened in planes generally speaking, since women are not advised to air-travel past a certain gestation?


Yeah, you would think so, but I grew up with a girl who's claim to fame was that she was born on an airplane. Everyone in class wanted to know which state she was born over. I think it was OK or TX. Probably doesn't happen too often though.

post #128 of 168
Thread Starter 

Wow thanks for all the responses! (I'm the OP) This thread started because I, along with several friends, had planned on intervention-free "natural" births with our first babies but all ended up with some intervention. Though this past week another friend who is in her early 20s had her first baby intervention-free in a hospital (and not one well-known for natural birth!) with the assistance of a doula (same one I had). 

 

I would be fascinated to do some real research into the factors that influence the likelihood of interventions at a birth. Though I do think the setting and the mother's birthing education and mindset influence her birth, there is a lot more that is beyond our control. When I was in labor, I felt bad-- like a failure-- once I started saying "yes" to interventions. But eventually  I realized that once I was in labor, it really wasn't about me any more. It was about having a healthy baby! 

 

Just a side note on the idea of interventions... 

When I first made the poll I didn't think about it, but I used "natural" to mean intervention-free. But really there is a difference. Like some people said, an IV is an intervention, but if it's just fluids, it's "natural" also like black and blue cohosh (which I had) is "natural" but it's definitely an intervention. Hmm...

post #129 of 168

Another thing to consider is that the population answering your poll is a bit skewed.  :)  The actual numbers for all births in the US, not just first time births are closer to:

 

US Hospital Statistics:

            Cesareans: 32.9% up 60% since 1996 (2009)

            Epidural: 59.9% (2006)

            Vacuum: 3.2% (2008)

            Forceps: 0.7% (2008)

            Induction: 23.1% (2008)

            Augmentation of labor: 19.6% (2006)

            IV Drip: 86%

            EFM: 93%

            Neonatal mortality: .675% (2008)

 

2005 Homebirth Study Stats:

            Transfer rate: 12%

            Epidural: 4.7%

            Caesarean section: 3.7%

            Episiotomy: 2.1%

            Forceps: 1.0%

            Vacuum extraction: 0.6%

            Neonatal mortality: 0.17%

post #130 of 168
Thread Starter 

Right but I intentionally wanted to ask other moms who were for the most part like me in planning for an intervention-free birth. (I realize that not everyone here on MDC did, but felt it's safe to assume the majority did!)

 

Thanks for those stats. I would have thought the induction rate to be higher. (My friend who just had her baby had to fight her OB at 39 weeks because they routinely scheduled inductions at 39 weeks!!! If we can say anything about birth it's that NOTHING should be routine!nono.gif

post #131 of 168

The hospital stats for epidurals is really less than 60%? I find that incredibley surprising. Judging from the people around here, I would've put it more at 95-98%

post #132 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMtm View Post

The hospital stats for epidurals is really less than 60%? I find that incredibley surprising. Judging from the people around here, I would've put it more at 95-98%



That's what I'm wondering.  What's the source for these stats?

post #133 of 168


*Double post*

post #134 of 168

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMtm View Post

The hospital stats for epidurals is really less than 60%? I find that incredibley surprising. Judging from the people around here, I would've put it more at 95-98%



Ditto that.  I attended one of my best friends births and the staff was literally shocked that she gave birth naturally.  Everyone was talking about her and coming to meet her.  It was so strange.  

post #135 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakareyasMama View Post

Wow thanks for all the responses! (I'm the OP) This thread started because I, along with several friends, had planned on intervention-free "natural" births with our first babies but all ended up with some intervention. Though this past week another friend who is in her early 20s had her first baby intervention-free in a hospital (and not one well-known for natural birth!) with the assistance of a doula (same one I had). 

 

I would be fascinated to do some real research into the factors that influence the likelihood of interventions at a birth. Though I do think the setting and the mother's birthing education and mindset influence her birth, there is a lot more that is beyond our control. When I was in labor, I felt bad-- like a failure-- once I started saying "yes" to interventions. But eventually  I realized that once I was in labor, it really wasn't about me any more. It was about having a healthy baby! 

 

Just a side note on the idea of interventions... 

When I first made the poll I didn't think about it, but I used "natural" to mean intervention-free. But really there is a difference. Like some people said, an IV is an intervention, but if it's just fluids, it's "natural" also like black and blue cohosh (which I had) is "natural" but it's definitely an intervention. Hmm...


Read about the physiology of birth! If you start of just googling that, I bet that will be greatly helpful for you in determining the specific factors in the likelihood of interventions!!! :) <-------------------------- !!!!!

 

You were not a failure. First of all, the setup was probably all wrong, even though you may have tried hard to make it all right. And that would not be your fault... it just is. At some point saying yes to interventions is almost inevitable. For one, the hormonal changes you experience at that time make you more vulnerable and receptive to suggestions. That's just your biology. Secondly, the way we handle birth in general (even with a doula or a midwife in an attempt at a natural method) is not so conducive to saying "no". We have a need to do the right thing as society has laid it out to us, trust our caregivers, be good patients, etc. At some point we feel like they truly know better so saying "no" seems to feel wrong or even taboo for us.

 

A word on "it's not about you anymore, it's about a healthy baby"-- this is a sentiment echoed throughout most of our lives, and if push comes to shove is true. However, this is not always a you vs. the baby thing, or that labor is merely the irrelevant means to an end. Usually a healthy and happy mother and labor equals the best possible outcome for baby, but that gets glossed over in favor of the preferences of others. Plus, if the mother is put through something that doesn't sit well with her (body or soul), that will obviously have an effect on both her and the baby for years to come. In fact, the "it's not about you, it's about the baby" is something so many of us have had to suck up and swallow down in a very hard pill form, while we put on a happy face and act like we were not hurt or scarred by our experiences. I don't think we should be dismissed any more. :) I'm sure our babies wouldn't want that for us, either.

 

post #136 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist. View Post

 



Ditto that.  I attended one of my best friends births and the staff was literally shocked that she gave birth naturally.  Everyone was talking about her and coming to meet her.  It was so strange.  


That happened to us and we were in a crunchy little spot in Georgia at the time. One of our best stories about birthing our son was passing this husband of another mother three times in twelve hours. The first time we passed him, I had dropped to all fours in front of the nurse's station. He wished us good luck. The second time we passed him just four hours later he was agog that we had had the baby and were roaming the halls in search of snacks. Then, we saw him walking with his Iv and monitor hooked up wife as we were leaving with baby in our arms. By this time, I had showered, put on earrings and cute dress.. he was literally looking at me with his mouth hanging on the floor while his wife was shooting me daggers with her eyes. At each pass we just smiled politely but it was very telling.

We also had one adorable young nurse who just could not stop complimenting us because she had never seen anyone give birth standing up and no epidural. And I was smiling as I pushed him out... the poor thing was almost silly with gushing about it.
post #137 of 168

I am amazed whenever I hear beautiful hospital birth stories. :)

post #138 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

I am amazed whenever I hear beautiful hospital birth stories. :)



What a strange comment to make. If you were to peruse the birth stories forum you will find many stories of happy, beautiful birth stories that take place in (gasp) a hospital. Just because it isn't your idea of perfect does not make it something that could or should be considered rare.
post #139 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post

I am amazed whenever I hear beautiful hospital birth stories. :)





What a strange comment to make. If you were to peruse the birth stories forum you will find many stories of happy, beautiful birth stories that take place in (gasp) a hospital. Just because it isn't your idea of perfect does not make it something that could or should be considered rare.


I wouldn't consider my first c-section "beautiful", but my second was.  It wasn't orgasmic, or empowering, or natural, but having my daughter and hearing her cry almost right away and not having to be taken to the NICU right away like my son had been, even though she was only 34 weeks, was definitely beautiful.

 

It's all relative.

post #140 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMtm View Post

The hospital stats for epidurals is really less than 60%? I find that incredibley surprising. Judging from the people around here, I would've put it more at 95-98%



I would guess that stat doesn't include epidurals for c-sections, which would account for over 30%, but that's just my guess.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › How was the birth of your first?