or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Meal Planning › Dinner - What Are You Having?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dinner - What Are You Having? - Page 8

post #141 of 2690

Oooo, I want to play! I was really excited to see the baked potatoes in the crockpot, it really is the little things!

 

Tonight for dinner we are keeping it simple, burritos.  Pinto and black beans, some left over steak with cumin and garlic for hubby, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, avocado, onions, and tortillas heated over a flame.

 

Tomorrow DH and I both have to work all evening so I am leaving money for DD to go out to sushi with her dad.  DH will be eating with corporate guys in for an audit and I will be eating leftovers or my hospital will provide dinner for me with the clients.

 

Wednesday will probably be spaghetti with meatballs, salad, and garlic bread.

 

Thursday is ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and salad.

 

post #142 of 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Chicky2,

How do you, umm, "dispatch" the raccoon once it's trapped? City girl here and just wondering.


.22

 

We met some new neighbors a couple of weeks ago.  The husband is down w/what we do (homesteading, I mean), and the wife is very citified, lol.  She's scared to eat at my house.  I wonder what she thinks people used to do for food before grocery stores?  She seems to be one of those, "I don't get my eggs from a chicken's butt type of people."  Yk, the eggs in the grocery store somehow come out of the vent and not the butt, but homegrown ones do?  Silly.

 

Racoon was a common Christmas dinner in Victorian times.

 

I've decided to have dh pick up some rotisserie chicken and I'm letting the kids make a (ack) packaged fried rice mix and make carrot sticks.  At least the mix is not full of msg and other nasties.

 

post #143 of 2690

I'm making bean soup and veggie soup with a beef base. I'm thinking a side of corn bread. Yum!

post #144 of 2690
tonight we had home made burgers and fries and peas.last night it was red beans and rice with cornbread and cauliflower (ds usually gets to pick our nightly veggie smile.gif )
post #145 of 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

We like to add a dash of Milwaukee Iron to ours for a little kick. Not too spicy in small quantities. Or you could mix in some crockpot roasted garlic, maybe with a little Wocestershire sauce and Dijon mustard... and some fresh parsley? 



Oh, weird! Spice House is in my town. I could pop up and get some to try in the next round of burgers.

post #146 of 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

.22

 

We met some new neighbors a couple of weeks ago.  The husband is down w/what we do (homesteading, I mean), and the wife is very citified, lol.  She's scared to eat at my house.  I wonder what she thinks people used to do for food before grocery stores?  She seems to be one of those, "I don't get my eggs from a chicken's butt type of people."  Yk, the eggs in the grocery store somehow come out of the vent and not the butt, but homegrown ones do?  Silly.

 

Racoon was a common Christmas dinner in Victorian times.

 

I've decided to have dh pick up some rotisserie chicken and I'm letting the kids make a (ack) packaged fried rice mix and make carrot sticks.  At least the mix is not full of msg and other nasties.

 

Thx! Yeah, I think if I had to get my own meat, I would be veg. Sad, but true. And my dad as a child lived in a part of Europe that did NOT have grocery stores at the time, so he remembers the whole village getting together to butcher a pig. Grandma (by now transplanted to far suburbia) also raised us on chicken soup w/ all the innards, pigs feet in aspic, etc., so I would eat raccoon stew, but doing the deed myself I've never tried.

 

post #147 of 2690
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Oh, weird! Spice House is in my town. I could pop up and get some to try in the next round of burgers.


We usually go to the one down in Lincoln Park-ish here in the city - are you in Geneva or Evanston? The Geneva location has a pretty awesome selection to; my in laws live out there so we pop in sometimes with them. I haven't been to the Evanston location though. 

post #148 of 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post

Thx! Yeah, I think if I had to get my own meat, I would be veg. Sad, but true. And my dad as a child lived in a part of Europe that did NOT have grocery stores at the time, so he remembers the whole village getting together to butcher a pig. Grandma (by now transplanted to far suburbia) also raised us on chicken soup w/ all the innards, pigs feet in aspic, etc., so I would eat raccoon stew, but doing the deed myself I've never tried.

 




I don't do the deed myself, but I would if I absolutely had to.  My dh does that, or my 22 yo dd, and then my 22 and 12 yo dds (yes, the girls) do the skinning/gutting.  They do all the rabbit butchering.  I figure I do all the planning for the animals (when to buy feed, when to breed, etc.) and almost all the cooking so they can do the rest.  Nice to know we will not starve if the s ever htf.

post #149 of 2690

Not sure about tonight, but last night I made a variation on a chile my mom used to make. I sauteed some chopped sweet potatoes, onion, green pepper and celery in butter then covered with water and cooked for a couple hours. Then, I mashed the sweet potatoes a bit to make a thicker broth. I sauteed some ground beef and added that to the vegetables. Then, I cut up four fresh tomatoes (without skins) into the stew. Seasoned with salt and pepper and cooked a bit more. Oh, yes, and I added a can of kidney beans. Really was yummy with the fresh tomatoes.

 

I served with cucumbers and a litte chopped onion mixed with sour cream, apple cider vinegar and sweetener to get a kind of sweet and sour flavor.

I was going to make Irish Soda Bread (gluten free) but went for toast instead. Toast is always good.

 

Do you know about the Meal Planning thread also talking about FOOD!!!

post #150 of 2690
tonight we're having bell peppers from the garden stuffed with rice, ground beef, onion/pepper/garlic, and cheese. then HEB had some fresh bags of broccoli marked down to 99 cents, so we're having broccoli cheese soup with it.
post #151 of 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

Do you know about the Meal Planning thread also talking about FOOD!!!


Ooh, I didn't, but there can't be too many threads about food! eat.gif  < love this one.

 

post #152 of 2690
Thread Starter 

I also didn't know about the other thread. Love that so many people like talking about food here. :-)

 

I got some beautiful leeks (the last three the farmer had!) at the last summer season session of our farmer's market on Sunday, so I'm doing a fall favorite at our house and making leek and potato soup. I've got a bit of odds and ends of bread at this point - some apple cider sourdough and some epi, so I'm thinking of cubing them for some giant croutons to serve with it, along with a few drops of balsamic vinegar. It's been cold and rainy here all week, so I'm really excited about soup. 

 

I also got a bunch of fresh dill at the market, so I'm thinking of doing some kind of dilled chicken with potatoes in the crockpot tomorrow. 

post #153 of 2690

Peggy, that chile sounds awesome.  I love sweet potatoes with beans!  Esp. black beans...  Reminds me that I need to make Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos for the freezer (if they make it that far!)...

 

I spent yesterday canning applesauce.  At the grocery store I saw an apple (Jonathan) display.  It had bags of apples and 3 signs said, ".94/lb" and one sign said, ".94/ea" so my dh took a pic and I loaded up my cart.  Wish I had gotten more!  I told them I was taking those apples for the advertised price I preferred, lol.  They didn't argue.

 

Last night we had swiss chard/spinach lasagne (my mom gave us a HUGE bag--all I could pick--of swiss chard and chinese cabbage).  Believe it or not it was even meat free--even we get tired of meat all the time, lol.  I also made my first batch of artisan bread in 5 minutes a day and was very, very disappointed.  I used the recipe off of Mother Earth News that someone had posted in another thread around here.  It was very, very salty, and I raised an eyebrow at the recipe before I ever made it, which should have been a signal.  There was no sugar in it!  Yeast feeds off of sugar and all.  I know I followed the recipe correctly.  I have the book so I guess I should drag it out and take a look.  maybe the article was incorrect.

 

I got pinto beans soaking yesterday and decided to just can them today.  Also have 2 fresh (uncured) hams thawed out.  One I will cut up and can in chunks.  The other will be made into (w/some of the beans) a huge pot of chili to be canned.  I need some convenience stuff around here.  A "snack" for my growing kids will be a jar of chili over a baked potato.  5 minutes later they'll eat all their supper!  I'm seriously worried about how big my garden will need to be in another year of them growing....(my 12 yo dd is wearing a size 10 women's shoe!!).  So I guess tonight we'll have chili.

 

Anyone ever eaten Chinese cabbage?  My mom said it was sort of like mild mustard/collard cross....  What to do with it??

 

 

post #154 of 2690
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

I got pinto beans soaking yesterday and decided to just can them today.  Also have 2 fresh (uncured) hams thawed out.  One I will cut up and can in chunks.  The other will be made into (w/some of the beans) a huge pot of chili to be canned.  I need some convenience stuff around here.  A "snack" for my growing kids will be a jar of chili over a baked potato.  5 minutes later they'll eat all their supper!  I'm seriously worried about how big my garden will need to be in another year of them growing....(my 12 yo dd is wearing a size 10 women's shoe!!).  So I guess tonight we'll have chili.

 

Anyone ever eaten Chinese cabbage?  My mom said it was sort of like mild mustard/collard cross....  What to do with it??


You must have a pressure canner! I need to get one before next summer; there's so much I want to do. It would be great to can my own stocks. 

 

As for the Chinese cabbage, it's great in eggrolls. :-)

post #155 of 2690

I got the idea for putting the sweet potatoes in the chile from the Ahmed Obo, owner of Jambo, an African restaurant here in Santa Fe. He uses them a lot in his soups and won first prize at the Souper Bowl in Santa Fe two years in a row. The soup that won this year is curried black bean, sweet potato, coconut cream soup (vegetarian).

 

You can use Chinese Cabbage like "regular" cabbage, in a slaw or a stir fry. It's mild tasting, milder than cabbage, not as spicy as mustard or collard greens. 

post #156 of 2690

There are lots of kinds of chinese cabbage, apparently, lol.  The type I have is not like bok choy.  It grows just like swiss chard and mustard greens.  Loose leaves, not in a head.

 

I loves me some sweet potatoes!  I made a Jamaican tortilla soup and put some in it recently.  Coconut milk, lots of lime....

 

KQ, yes I have a pressure canner.  2, as a matter of fact.  Thankfully, too, because the knobs on my All American one got stuck and I had to switch to the Presto one I have.  One of the dang jars broke, too.  Grrrr.

post #157 of 2690
Chicken stir fry tonight.
post #158 of 2690
Thread Starter 

I've got the chicken in the crockpot. Chicken legs, potatoes, an onion, and the giant bunch of dill, in a bit of chicken stock with dijon mustard. I hope it turns out - I just kind of threw it all in there. 

post #159 of 2690

Tonight we had bbq chicken and sweet potato fries. Mmmm

post #160 of 2690
tonight was simple- chicken breasts, a salad, and this easy peasy noodle recipe i found in my joy of cooking book- melt a stick of butter, and saute some chopped garlic. add in a cup of bread crumb (i use the ones from the canister, lol) and toast them up. mix with a pound of hot noodles and serve. so simple, but so yummy. even mister picky pants likes them, lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Meal Planning
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Meal Planning › Dinner - What Are You Having?