Looking for a little advice or stories from parents who have been in my situation. My five-month-old son is intact and has just been diagnosed with his third UTI. He was born at home, full term and has been totally healthy. Exclusively breastfed, normal urine output, no failure to thrive (boy is a 19-pound TANK). He got his first UTI when he was two months old--he had never been retracted. He was hospitalized due to very high fever. At the hospital, he was retracted for catheterization and the nurse told me he was easily retractible and didn't have a tight foreskin. He had a kidney ultrasound and a VCUG and both came back normal.
After the second UTI, our pediatrician sent us to a urologist. They said the only thing they can do is circumcise. The NP there said if we don't circ, he will keep getting UTIs over and over again indefinitely. She said circing has a 70-80% chance of getting rid of the UTIs permanently. I said I wanted to wait and see if he got another UTI before making a decision.
Now that he has his third UTI, our pediatrician wants us to go back to the urologist. I know they are going to push circing again. If this is necessary and it'll help, then we'll do it. But I worry about it not helping. I also worry about the general anesthesia they say he'll need.
Does anyone have experience with this? Do I have other options? Prophylactic antibiotics? My husband is not thrilled about giving abx daily and neither am I ... I'm not sure what the lesser of two evils is here.
Obviously I would prefer not to cut my son, but if he needs it ... I'd like for these UTIs to be done with, for his sake. I am considering getting a second opinion, but I have met with the only pediatric urologist in our town. I am willing to travel to talk to another doctor, but I'm afraid of wasting my time/putting stress on the family just to be told, again, to circ him already.
Thanks in advance, mamas.