I had problems over the weekend with fever and contractions. My new OB, who is very supportive of VBACs was not the one oncall. His oncall OB told me they would do nothing to try to stop or prevent preterm contractions. If anything happened, they would let them run their course. Plus, he told me, any baby born before 24 weeks, even if that baby were 23weeks6days, they would label him a miscarriage. I had a baby at 23.5 weeks before and he lived a little while and was beautiful and gorgeous and I would be horrified if they called him a miscarriage. And since I did have a fever at the time and knew if caught soon enough, if there was an infection, antibiotics could be given. One other thing is that I was told if I gave birth before 24 weeks, which means even at 23 weeks 6 days, they would make me stay in the ER to do it or move me to a regular hospital room, but I still would not be moved in to a more private labor and delivery room. I think this is awful. I have found that in regular hospital rooms, visitors are often in the hallways and on the floors and people in the next rooms can hear you. I am shocked at the idea that I would be forced to labor and birth in an ER room or a regular hospital room if giving birth at 23weeks6days with nothing done at all to try to hold off the birth. I spoke to both the doctor on call and the nurse about it and was told the same thing.
So, that was Sunday, Monday morning, I waited for them to call me right back. They actually open before 8am. I never heard back so I called back again at 10:40 am. I was told that they would ask the nurse and see what she says. I waited until maybe 11:10am. Then I called back and was told it would be after 2pm before they called me back. So, I was sitting there with a fever and cramps and this is what I was being told. I got upset with her so she went ahead and put me on hold and asked someone and they told me I could come in. I asked her what they would do and she asked again and they said the nurse would just check my urine for a UTI and if there was nothing there, then that was all they intended to do. I said if all they are going to do is check for a UTI, I would just go to my regular doctor and get checked. I did act like I was just going to go to the family doctor.
But instead, I went and called a different OB and fortunately, they got me in same day. They checked everything from my cervix to urine to a sonogram. Fortunately, all was fine. It is just a flu bug. But, I am happy I switched. Even getting dehydrated can send someone in to preterm labor and is treatable. So I am no longer that comfortable with the doctor I was seeing to begin with and I switched completely. I am happy to be switched and feel better. I am sure my chances of a VBAC went down with the switch, but, I am just not comfortable with the first doctor anymore. I have been feeling less and less confident lately, so this is was the final, yet obviously very big, straw.