or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Most Hated Baby Names
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most Hated Baby Names - Page 4

post #61 of 100



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake777 View Post

I think it's worth pointing out that many on those list are also the most popular and therefore most loved names. winky.gif



Interesting point! 

I was very surprised to see Michael on the most hated boy's name. I can't imagine what fault there is to find in the name Michael.

 

post #62 of 100

i do not like the name aubrey, at all and i'm not the only one.

post #63 of 100



Possibly they just liked the sound of it, but didn't care about the silly "heaven spelled backwards" thing.  I don't think I'd ever use it for a name if I had a girl, but I do think it sounds kind of pretty.  At least, the way I imagine it pronounced, since I don't know any personally.  Maybe it isn't pronounced the way I think it is, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethE View Post


 


 

 

I find it amusing when there are Navaeh's or Neveah's, etc. Either they missed the point of the name, just overheard it somewhere, or can't spell.

 



 

post #64 of 100

I've always loved the name Aiden, because it's Celtic and means "little fire" ... but I blame it's popularity on Sex and the City, and didn't want to name my son something so popular. I think that is the issue with most names on the list, they're all very popular. As someone who grew up with an extremely rare name (my name's Marcelle, I've only met two other women with my name- and can I tell you, that commercial that's currently on all the time, "Hey Marcel!!" is so weird to hear!), I don't want my kid to have a super popular name - but also not a really weird "out there" name to ensure it's unique (like Merlin, which is what my DH wanted us to name DS). That's just me though! My favorite girls name is also way too popular :(

 

My nephew is named Kaden, and my sister in law now regrets her choice, hehe ... 

 

ETA: We have a neighbor who's granddaughter is named Heaven (spelt forwards, hehe), and now that she's in High School there is some concern that a name like that may open her to sexual mockery, as in "Hey, I'd like to get into Heaven *wink wink*" ... ugh.

post #65 of 100

I have always loved the name Tristan and plan on using it if my baby is a boy... What's there not to like about it?? 

 

Have to agree about the 'den' names though,, around where I live it seems like there are so many Aiden's.. I never even 

heard the name before a couple of years ago. My son's name is Adrian and I much prefer it to Aiden...  

 

Also must say Im not crazy about the Mac names for girls,, they just seem so trendy and un-girl like...If I have another girl I'm giving her 

a pretty traditional name, Tara.. My dd is named Rowan and while we love it and it suits her,, we'd thought we'd go more girly this time around :)

 

Can't wait to find out!!

 

 

post #66 of 100


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post

I have a Hayden and I love the name! My mom had an uncle Hayden so it is not a new name (mom is 77). I've loved the name ever since I watched Coach way back when (Yes, I'm old. I'm sure some of you never even heard of that show.) I do know one other Hayden, my friend's nephew, but that's it. There is a Jayden in the neighborhood and an Aiden at church. It must not be very popular around here.



I love the name Hayden.  We already have a Hayden in our family though, so I can't use it.  Oh, and I remember Coach.  ;)

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeckedyPeg View Post

I've always loved the name Aiden, because it's Celtic and means "little fire" ... but I blame it's popularity on Sex and the City, and didn't want to name my son something so popular. I think that is the issue with most names on the list, they're all very popular. As someone who grew up with an extremely rare name (my name's Marcelle, I've only met two other women with my name- and can I tell you, that commercial that's currently on all the time, "Hey Marcel!!" is so weird to hear!), I don't want my kid to have a super popular name - but also not a really weird "out there" name to ensure it's unique (like Merlin, which is what my DH wanted us to name DS). That's just me though! My favorite girls name is also way too popular :(

 

My nephew is named Kaden, and my sister in law now regrets her choice, hehe ... 

 

ETA: We have a neighbor who's granddaughter is named Heaven (spelt forwards, hehe), and now that she's in High School there is some concern that a name like that may open her to sexual mockery, as in "Hey, I'd like to get into Heaven *wink wink*" ... ugh.



Aiden is one of my favorite names too.  But I won't use it because of it's huge popularity.  As someone who has an extremely popular name (Sarah), I wouldn't do that to my child.  Although, I don't think Aiden is as popular as Sarah.  Growing up my best friend was named Sarah.  And as an adult two of my good friends are named Sarah.  Not to mention the countless Sarahs I know casually.  It seems like there were at least 1 or 2 other Sarahs in each of my classes in school.

post #67 of 100

I thought Neveah was interesting for like 15 seconds when I first heard it like 12 years ago. Now it annoys me. I have a "code" of rules that I like in names, and that breaks every one of them :)

 

I do like Neve, which I found out was how you pronounce Niamh (and not Nai eema)  about 30 seconds ago.

post #68 of 100

Evelyn is originally a boy's name as well. I like the mixing up of the genders for names, but picked old fashioned girls names for dd. I do prefer the classic names but dd's school class (born 2000-2003) is very diverse: Jupiter, Sage, Valentina, Stella, Meyette, Hunter, Orion, Isaiah, Hailey, Atticus, Mila, Thalia, Avery, Simon, Luna, Meadow, Velo, etc. None of the Jennifers and Heathers that are the mamas I know. My brother, sister and I all have names that were in the top 10 the year we were born, but are not super common now anyway. I say pick a name you like! I did think about the sound of the first name with the last name and various nicknames that could be used. I would not tell anyone my name choices if I had another baby; no one liked our choice when I told them. And some were picking a nickname I really didn't like, so I had to give my nickname preference as well, since her long name was so hard to say and spell nut.gif

post #69 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post





I have an Evelyn too.  :)  We didn't tell anyone our choice before she was born, except for the grandparents, and IIRC, they didn't really have anything negative to say about it, but they weren't gushing over it either.  We do get a lot of "That's a name you don't hear very often" but it definitely is becoming more popular (which I'm not thrilled about, but I understand, obviously!).  I think it's a lovely, classic name and we call her Evie, pronounced Eevie.

 

I don't get the rudeness either.  Both grandmothers said they didn't like our son's name while I was pregnant with him.  That was pretty harsh, but it didn't change our decision, and I still love his name and think it suits him perfectly!


Evelyn was one of our girl names with my first pregnancy. It was my great-grandmother's name, and I love it. But we had a boy and named him Calvin after my husband's grandfather. When I told her the name, my grandmother said, "Well, I don't love it." She refused to put his name on the baby sampler that she was making for him until after he was born and his birth certificate was issued. She was hoping that we would change our minds. Now I'm pregnant with a girl, but we aren't naming her Evelyn. I still think it's one of the most beautiful names ever, but it just doesn't click this time. We decided to go with Julia. So we will have Calvin Thomas and Julia Ruth. Obviously, we are very traditional namers. I'm not a big fan of most of the names on the list. I'm just not a very trendy person.

 

post #70 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post




Evelyn was one of our girl names with my first pregnancy. It was my great-grandmother's name, and I love it. But we had a boy and named him Calvin after my husband's grandfather. When I told her the name, my grandmother said, "Well, I don't love it." She refused to put his name on the baby sampler that she was making for him until after he was born and his birth certificate was issued. She was hoping that we would change our minds. Now I'm pregnant with a girl, but we aren't naming her Evelyn. I still think it's one of the most beautiful names ever, but it just doesn't click this time. We decided to go with Julia. So we will have Calvin Thomas and Julia Ruth. Obviously, we are very traditional namers. I'm not a big fan of most of the names on the list. I'm just not a very trendy person.

 


Mine is Evelyn Julia.  :)

 

post #71 of 100

I forgot the best part! No one was particularly fond of the other girl names we were considering, so instead of telling the family that we decided on Julia, we're telling them all that we're naming her Ke$ha.

post #72 of 100

My brain always reads Nevaeh as Nev-AH, like a snotty old Southern woman saying "never."  Or Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone. As in, "Well Ah nev -ah!"

post #73 of 100

A friend of mine named her kids Kimberly and Jennifer (they are littles), which in the sea of "unusual" or "original" or "not too popular" names they tend to be the most unique of the group (at least for their age cohort).  :)

post #74 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post

A friend of mine named her kids Kimberly and Jennifer (they are littles), which in the sea of "unusual" or "original" or "not too popular" names they tend to be the most unique of the group (at least for their age cohort).  :)



That's really funny! I don't think there are Jennifers or Kimberlys in either of my DD's classes! I remember in middle school, we had to do the name variation for a bunch of kids in the same class: Jen, Jennifer, Jenny, Jen G., Jen. S., etc. lols

post #75 of 100

I like Gertrude and Bertha.

post #76 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyncyn View Post

I do prefer the classic names but dd's school class (born 2000-2003) is very diverse: Jupiter, Sage, Valentina, Stella, Meyette, Hunter, Orion, Isaiah, Hailey, Atticus, Mila, Thalia, Avery, Simon, Luna, Meadow, Velo, etc. None of the Jennifers and Heathers that are the mamas I know. 



When I read this, I said to myself, "I'll bet she lives in Portland." lol.gif  Then I saw your location.  

I also live in Portland, and my son's name is Sage, which I thought was fairly uncommon for a boy until I moved here.

 

I'm sure most my extended family doesn't approve of our name choice, but I like it.  And they haven't been openly critical (we named him after he was born), so they can think whatever they want.  Most of my nieces and nephews and cousins' kids either have very common names (like Matthew) or trendy names (Adalyn, Aidan, Jayden, etc.), which I would never pick, so we're even. :)

 

post #77 of 100

*


Edited by Cascadian - 6/2/11 at 7:35pm
post #78 of 100


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas View Post





When I read this, I said to myself, "I'll bet she lives in Portland." lol.gif  Then I saw your location.  

I also live in Portland, and my son's name is Sage, which I thought was fairly uncommon for a boy until I moved here.

 

I'm sure most my extended family doesn't approve of our name choice, but I like it.  And they haven't been openly critical (we named him after he was born), so they can think whatever they want.  Most of my nieces and nephews and cousins' kids either have very common names (like Matthew) or trendy names (Adalyn, Aidan, Jayden, etc.), which I would never pick, so we're even. :)

 



It's interesting how name trends vary by region.  Here, in the South we have lots of last names as first names (which I really like).  At the school I teach at we have, Griggs, Graves, Parks, Hudson, Lincoln, Riley, Graham, Beckett, Walker, Collier, and lots more! 

post #79 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post

I live in a highly Asian immigrant area, and due to colonialism, all of the first generation Chinese kids have names that likely weren't popular  in North America for hundreds of years...and some really interesting variations as well! A friend of mine said that sometimes the nuns in the schools in Hong Kong would give the kids their English names...made sense!

 

Basil

Loretta

Agnes

Timons, Tiberius

Pollux

Persis

Samson

Pedwin (actually, a lot of -wins, like Edwin, Godwin, etc.)

Yvette

Prunilla

Tons of Victors and Victorias

Tons of Winstons

Hagan

Theodore, Dorothy

Wendy

Iris

 

And we get a lot of cutesy English 'real' names: Mimi, Candy, etc. 

 

I keep thinking...yeah, I'm sure if I had to choose a Chinese name, I wouldn't be very hip about it :)

 

 

Yep, I've noticed this too. Growing up I had friends called Betty, Nancy, Priscilla, Queenie and Titus. They're all quite nice-sounding names, but definitely not fashionable at the time they were given.

 

I've thought about it a bit because now I'm an immigrant, and have to name my kids with no sense of what connotations names have. DH has laughed pretty hard at some of my suggestions. I'll think something sounds nice, then he'll tell me it's the equivalent of calling my child Mildred or Fanny. lol.gif

 

Incidentally, the names Selma, Telma and Karen are really trendy here. Go figure!

post #80 of 100

Honestly, I could not agree more with the list except for Michael.  It's a classic, timeless name.  I could be biased though as it was my father's middle name and my fourth child's middle name.  I never hear it as a first name for kids anymore though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Most Hated Baby Names