I just enrolled my ds2 (age 4) in a little private preschool - he started Monday. It took me a day to get them the exemption notarized, as this was a bit last minute. He has been in another preschool with less-then-convenient hours, which is why we switched. I also have an older son that attended a few with no issues (we are totall no-vax). So this morning (as I was loading him up to go to school) I got an email from the director asking me if he had had any vaxes, and that she needed to know asap. I took him in with the exemption and spent 20 minutes explaining my reasoning for not vaxing to her. I really like her, my son likes the school, and she was really trying to understand. But she obviously wasn't happy. She said she is trying to decide whether or not to let him continue at the school. Really it's not the end of the world if she decides to drop him, we have other options, but he likes it, it has great hours and a sweet teacher, and I thought we were good to go. So this has really frustrated me.
Her specific issues were that they had a pertussis outbreak last year (which involved two VACCINATED kids) and she's gun-shy about letting him in with no vaxes. She said "I feel that these kids who aren't immunized are weakening the vaccines". Uh-huh. So obviously I have to decide whether to fight by getting her some information supporting the fact that vaccine rates are higher than ever and the effectiveness of DPT is quite shaky, etc., or I just let it go and move on.
I don't know - just thought I would get some opinions on here. The whole thing has left a sour taste for me today, as I don't want my son to go anywhere where he is not totally welcomed and loved and nurtured. And while I think she wouldn't blame him for it, I don't know, I still don't want to be somewhere we are not wanted.
So this is a vent, and a "what would you do" post, I suppose. TIA!