or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parents with kids who have 'weird' names.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Parents with kids who have 'weird' names. - Page 5

post #81 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post

i'm surprised no one mentioned that Silas is the name of the oldest son on the tv show Weeds.

I love the name. It was my top pick for a while, but it sounds awkward with my last name.

 

edit..doh! i just noticed milkcake referenced Weeds 2 posts up. I don't think it will become too popular....i love the show, but i don't know many others who watch it. Plus, it's not on basic cable.


Huge Weeds fan here.  Although I got hooked late in the game.  A few weeks ago, while my daughter was at her dad's for Spring Break and my SO was working out of town.  I watched seasons 1-5 straight through.  That's the best way to watch a series like that IMO.  Anyway, season 6 isn't on Netflix instant yet, so I'm stuck.  :(  I found the first couple episodes on YouTube, but then they started blocking them.  :(

 

post #82 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxinator View Post


 

I think your friend is a Legend of Zelda fan :D

 

My son's name isn't weird, uncommon but easy to pronounce. It is however spelled oddly.

I sometimes get comments on the spelling, but whatever, he can spell it fine, and it's spelled exactly as it pronounced.

 

I agree, once babies are here and already named people are less likely to say anything.

 

OP, you probably had you baby already, so congrats :)

 


 

 


NOOOO! Don't tell me there is even ONE other baby Zelda! The one in the oven will either be Zelda or Lando.

I already have a Stryder and a Morpheus and I know of  not a single other one.

eldest is Johnathan, we were too worried about what family thought, he's changed his name a few times in his 8 years

 

post #83 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxinator View Post


 

I think your friend is a Legend of Zelda fan :D

 

My son's name isn't weird, uncommon but easy to pronounce. It is however spelled oddly.

I sometimes get comments on the spelling, but whatever, he can spell it fine, and it's spelled exactly as it pronounced.

 

I agree, once babies are here and already named people are less likely to say anything.

 

OP, you probably had you baby already, so congrats :)

 


 

 

LoZ has always been my thing and Mario hers, but I guess naming a baby Princess Toadstool is a bit cruelwinky.gif
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post

i'm surprised no one mentioned that Silas is the name of the oldest son on the tv show Weeds.

I love the name. It was my top pick for a while, but it sounds awkward with my last name.

 

edit..doh! i just noticed milkcake referenced Weeds 2 posts up. I don't think it will become too popular....i love the show, but i don't know many others who watch it. Plus, it's not on basic cable.


 

It's been on TBS or We or one of those network channels lately - I don't watch it on there since it's edited and missing a lot of the plot. They're mostly the first 4 seasons I think, and edited into 30min blocks. Silas is still my top boy name, and our top girl name also both starts and ends in S so maybe that's too much of one letter Sheepish.gif

 

post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMa View Post




Huge Weeds fan here.  Although I got hooked late in the game.  A few weeks ago, while my daughter was at her dad's for Spring Break and my SO was working out of town.  I watched seasons 1-5 straight through.  That's the best way to watch a series like that IMO.  Anyway, season 6 isn't on Netflix instant yet, so I'm stuck.  :(  I found the first couple episodes on YouTube, but then they started blocking them.  :(

 


I got hooked in season 3 I think? My roommate at the time introduced me to it. I do the same thing though and watch it on Netflix! I think they have season 6 but only on dvd (which I'm too cheap to pay for.)

I had Showtime long enough to see the first two episodes but now I'm lost!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post




NOOOO! Don't tell me there is even ONE other baby Zelda! The one in the oven will either be Zelda or Lando.

I already have a Stryder and a Morpheus and I know of  not a single other one.

eldest is Johnathan, we were too worried about what family thought, he's changed his name a few times in his 8 years

 



She's already almost 3 1/2! it's crazy how fast the time goes; another hs friend of mine has a Calrissian.

 

And please tell me Morpheus is for Sandman! My Gaiman love knows no bounds.

DP and I want short names since we have a relatively long (and French) last name.

post #85 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarena View Post




NOOOO! Don't tell me there is even ONE other baby Zelda! The one in the oven will either be Zelda or Lando.

I already have a Stryder and a Morpheus and I know of  not a single other one.

eldest is Johnathan, we were too worried about what family thought, he's changed his name a few times in his 8 years

 



LOL. So either video games or Star Wars? :) I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I know the name because my friends' dog is named Lando.... Her brother was a big Star Wars fan and he named the dog. I had to have someone explain the movies to me so I could understand the character. 

 

I think the name Morpheus is really cool. How many people know where that comes from? 

post #86 of 111
we named DS Silas, 7 weeks ago today! I woke up one morning during the TWW and couldn't get the name out of my head. when I found out I was pg I couldn't consider anything else for a boy, especially after I looked up the meaning. I grew up with a named only old ladies had (Rose), I had always wished for a "normal" (see trendy) name as a child, but I LOVE my name and who I am because of it!
it seems to me that the name Silas is on the rise, too but I don't fear it'll be seriously popular. we didn't share the names we picked (we didn't find out the sex until birth) for the reasons mentioned and also we wanted to be able to change our mind once we met DC and figured if we had a set name and changed it on everyone they would have more to say about the whole thing.
oh, and EVERYONE seems to love his name! and very few people think of the show Weeds.
post #87 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post

Dd's name is uncommon. No one has criticized it after she was born.

There is one relative who never gets the spelling right- not sure if it is because they don't like the name or some other reason. They misspell it differently each time.

 

 


My DD is Jaiden and my parents still can't spell it :p I get Jaden, Jaydin, Jayden, etc. all the time!

 

post #88 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkcake View Post




I got hooked in season 3 I think? My roommate at the time introduced me to it. I do the same thing though and watch it on Netflix! I think they have season 6 but only on dvd (which I'm too cheap to pay for.)

I had Showtime long enough to see the first two episodes but now I'm lost!





She's already almost 3 1/2! it's crazy how fast the time goes; another hs friend of mine has a Calrissian.

 

And please tell me Morpheus is for Sandman! My Gaiman love knows no bounds.

DP and I want short names since we have a relatively long (and French) last name.



Not the comic Sandman but for the original Greek god that inspired Sandman - found out about Sandman afterward :)

Perhaps one day my Zelda and hers will meet! :)



Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post





LOL. So either video games or Star Wars? :) I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I know the name because my friends' dog is named Lando.... Her brother was a big Star Wars fan and he named the dog. I had to have someone explain the movies to me so I could understand the character. 

 

I think the name Morpheus is really cool. How many people know where that comes from? 


yup - Legend of Zelda and Star Wars (Stryder is LOTR) and Morpheus - well, my family mistook it for the demon Mephisto and had a fit! Most people have no idea who Morpheus.

We aren't telling names or gender to families until after the birth this time!

post #89 of 111
I had parents who thought I would see an unusual name as a gift. Too bad my classmates didn't appreciate it and teased me horribly, even though they tried to raise me to not care. It got bad enough I changed my name legally when I was 24 and had trouble bring taken seriously when job-hunting. As a 30-year-old, I can see how adults see it as a cool name, but I was teased and taunted so bad that when I hear it, my heart clenches. Unusual names belong in the middle with a normal name first. Your kids won't thank you when they're teens. They're the ones who will have to live with the weird names.
post #90 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceElizabeth View Post

I had parents who thought I would see an unusual name as a gift. Too bad my classmates didn't appreciate it and teased me horribly, even though they tried to raise me to not care. It got bad enough I changed my name legally when I was 24 and had trouble bring taken seriously when job-hunting. As a 30-year-old, I can see how adults see it as a cool name, but I was teased and taunted so bad that when I hear it, my heart clenches. Unusual names belong in the middle with a normal name first. Your kids won't thank you when they're teens. They're the ones who will have to live with the weird names.


I'm very sorry you experienced teasing and grew to feel so bad about your name. It is hard to say how your child will feel about their name in the future when they are just born. It is always possible that they may dislike the name you have chosen even if you think it is so cool and special.

 

My grandmother disliked her first name a lot for some reason and always went by her middle name. That is why I insisted my dd have a middle name to give her another option.

 

Dh and I have names that were quite popular at the time we were born. We don't hate them but it was also tiresome being one of the 3 or 4 others in the class with the same name. My dd's name is pretty uncommon where we live but in 11 years no one has teased her about it. Some people have spelled it wrong but no one has ever teased her.

 

post #91 of 111

My mother allowed me to switch to my middle name at 10 years old because I was teased mercilessly.  My eldest (Johnathan) has chosen to go by several different names in his 8 years. He knows that I will endeavor to call him by any name he chooses. The same goes for all of my children. I name them, but they can decide what they'd like to be called.

The difference I guess is that I make sure my kids know that at an early age. Plus, I choose to surround my family with non-judgmental, loving, accepting people. There is no place in my life for negative people. One of the many reasons I choose to homeschool (not their names, but the negativity)

I am sorry your name caused you pain. Like so many things, what causes one person pain can bring joy to another. Many have expressed that they would have loved to have my first name - go figure!

post #92 of 111

Let's just say that my name was misspelled on my wedding ring and we had to have it re-engraved! irked.gif

 

It's actually a totally common name in my culture (as are my kids names, although they are slightly less common even there), but not in the English-speaking world. DD1 and DD2 both have the ethnic first names - people pause at first, but then usually comment about them being pretty names. Yes, they get misspelled all the time, too. DD1's middle is very common in several cultures (one of the top names in the US now, although it was my grandma's name), so she could eventually go with that if she wanted to, but I highly doubt she will. DD2's middle is more difficult than her first because it sounds like a type of bean in English, so I think she'll definitely stick with her first name! Not bad having options (I have no middle name).We know several people who go by one name in our culture and another name in their dealings with English speakers. I didn't want to have to do that. DH agreed with ethnic names, so we picked ones we liked and thought were pronounceable in English by his family while keeping their original spelling with an easily anglicized pronunciation.

 

Honestly, even though I have to repeat and re-spell my name all the time, I'm glad our names are meaningful to us, and I was not and my kids won't have to be referred to by their last initials because there are 3 kids with the same name in class.

post #93 of 111

 

Quote:
He knows that I will endeavor to call him by any name he chooses. The same goes for all of my children. I name them, but they can decide what they'd like to be called.

Slightly OT, but I like this attitude. Neither DH nor I like our first names - they're both fairly common, mine ridiculously so - and call each other by our internet nicks or nicknames derived thereof. A fair few of our friends call us by those names. Both our parents seem faintly disapproving of the practice. :p I don't exactly expect my mother to start calling me Smokering, but I don't feel the need to go by a name I dislike for my entire life just because she chose it for me, either. I've occasionally thought that if I broke all ties and moved to Tahiti, I might start going by my middle name (given that Smokering is problematic for daily life!); but currently it's too much bother.

 

So, while I certainly hope my children will grow up liking their names, I guess I won't really be able to complain if they change them! Hopefully I'll be able to graciously refer to them as whatever they choose.

post #94 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

 

Slightly OT, but I like this attitude. Neither DH nor I like our first names - they're both fairly common, mine ridiculously so - and call each other by our internet nicks or nicknames derived thereof. A fair few of our friends call us by those names. Both our parents seem faintly disapproving of the practice. :p I don't exactly expect my mother to start calling me Smokering, but I don't feel the need to go by a name I dislike for my entire life just because she chose it for me, either. I've occasionally thought that if I broke all ties and moved to Tahiti, I might start going by my middle name (given that Smokering is problematic for daily life!); but currently it's too much bother.


For some reason I've come to hate my given name... it's not the name itself, it's the way it sounds and the feelings it conjures up in me when I hear it applied to ME. So I go exclusively by a nickname... I've been thinking of legally changing my name but I feel like my mom would be CRUSHED. Instead, I just cringe every time someone uses it... that name is NOT me. But anyway, my name was uncommon growing up (much more common now with younger kids though!) and I had to spell it and correct pronunciation a million and one times -- not fun for someone who's very shy!! But I wouldn't have wanted a common name... just something easily pronounceable or weird enough that it wouldn't be confused with a common variation that I can't stand...
post #95 of 111

Weeds is the reason I love the name Silas.  love.gif

post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceElizabeth View Post

I had parents who thought I would see an unusual name as a gift. Too bad my classmates didn't appreciate it and teased me horribly, even though they tried to raise me to not care. It got bad enough I changed my name legally when I was 24 and had trouble bring taken seriously when job-hunting. As a 30-year-old, I can see how adults see it as a cool name, but I was teased and taunted so bad that when I hear it, my heart clenches. Unusual names belong in the middle with a normal name first. Your kids won't thank you when they're teens. They're the ones who will have to live with the weird names.


My two elder sisters were given uncommon but simple names; my mother named them. My father named me, and it's a name I was teased about all through school. My TWO middle names weren't good fallbacks either. I changed my name at 18, but my family refuses to even acknowledge it's existence. However, they love to reminisce about how I used to cry and beg them to change my name when I was 6-8.

I've since decided while I want uncommon, special names for my kids I will make sure it's normal enough not to induce schoolyard heckling.

 

post #97 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

Weeds is the reason I love the name Silas.  love.gif



me, too!  It wasn't even on my radar until Weeds.  I just wish our last name didn't contain 2 S's - making it sound too sssss-y.

 

post #98 of 111

I think uncommon names are great (I certainly don't want my kids to be one of 3 or 4 with the same name in their grade). A lot of people here have chosen such nice names for their kids!

 

However I personally hate the name my parents chose for me (Heidi). Its a perfectly fine name when I am with English or German speakers, but fully half my family is French and I live in the French part of Canada and my last name is French and it is such a pain to deal with my name with French speakers (also Spanish speakers, Italian spearks, etc) because nobody can pronounce it or spell it. I really really really wish my parents had considered this when they named me. My middle name is also not an option for the opposite reason... Marie is way too common since every second person here has a name that is composed of Marie and hyphenated with something else (among a small group of coworkers I have Marie-Josée, Marie-Claire, Marie-Pierre, and I could go on).

 

So while I think unusual names that are easy to pronouce are great (such as Sage or Silas to take some of the many wonderful examples I saw on this thread), I personally would never give my child a name that is hard to pronounce just because I wouldn't want to put them through what I experienced with my name!

 

Now I have the challenge of coming up with a names that are both uncommon and easy to pronounce in French, English and Italian (DH is Italian) for my future kids... lol... wish me luck!!!!

post #99 of 111

I agree with pp here that no matter what you name your child, whether common or uncommon, there will be resistance and mis-spelling/pronunciation.  But once the baby's here, they will get used to it, I think because you're now associating that name with a cute little baby!

 

Funny story, the kid I used to nanny had a unique name and when he was 2 we were at the park and another little boy asked what his name was and nanny kid told him.  The other little boy started using his name you know "nannykid come here!  look at this nannykid!" (his name isn't nannykid just because I'm not disclosing his real name).  Anyway, the mom who heard it when nanny kid said his name kept telling her kid that she was saying nanny kid's name wrong and that it was actually a super common name.  I had to stop her and say NO that's NOT his name!  Your kid heard it right.  It took me a couple of times saying it for the mom to get it.  BTW, we'd never had any problems anywhere else.

 

Both myself and dd have "normal" names (common enough that people should have encountered them in their lives as they're both traditional names, but there probably won't be another in her class or anything) and if I use my full first name people sound like they're sneezing (which is why I go by a shortened version) and they always emphasize funny vowels in dd's name (in ways that I've NEVER heard her name pronounced).  No matter what people are going to have difficulty with names!

post #100 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan View Post

Funny story, the kid I used to nanny had a unique name and when he was 2 we were at the park and another little boy asked what his name was and nanny kid told him.  The other little boy started using his name you know "nannykid come here!  look at this nannykid!" (his name isn't nannykid just because I'm not disclosing his real name).  Anyway, the mom who heard it when nanny kid said his name kept telling her kid that she was saying nanny kid's name wrong and that it was actually a super common name.  I had to stop her and say NO that's NOT his name!  Your kid heard it right.  It took me a couple of times saying it for the mom to get it.  BTW, we'd never had any problems anywhere else.


LOL

Totally OT but you just reminded me of this -- we took DS to the zoo recently, some kid referred to him as 'that boy' and his mom whipped around to correct him, "That's not a boy, that's a girl!"... Well actually he IS a boy. lol.gif (She sounded super annoyed so I didn't bother correcting her!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parents with kids who have 'weird' names.