- topicAllergiestagged by System, 5/28/11
- productHomeolab USA Allergy Relief Tablets, 63 Chewable Tabletstagged by System, 5/28/11
- productRainbow Light Prenatal Organic Multivitamin, 120-Counttagged by System, 5/28/11
Related Forum Threads
- Possible eosinophilic disorder Last post on 11/30/13 at 5:03am in Allergies
- DS2 doesnt digest food well Last post on 11/28/13 at 11:28am in Allergies
- Can food allergies manifest as face bltchiness/under eye redness? Last post on 11/26/13 at 10:01pm in Allergies
- Eliminating wheat/dairy/corn to heal allergies/asthma Last post on 11/28/13 at 11:46am in Allergies
- Should peanut butter be banned in schools? Last post on 11/30/13 at 10:21am in Learning at School
desperate allergy help
I second the rec for the Neti pot. I use mine religiously and it really does help calm my allergies. But it doesn't keep them away completely, so if you're miserable, it's not likely to be enough relief by itself. All the meds you listed are considered quite safe to take as needed during pregnancy, but they are also systemic. I prefer to take a nasal inhaler, which is tissue specific. Rhinocort is category B for pregnancy. When I feel my allergies coming on, I take half the dose for a few days. After that, I can get away with only taking it every couple of days and maintain relief. Toward the end of pregnancy congestion is pretty normal anyway, so add on allergies and that is a recipe for misery. I hope you feel better soon!
I was having similar concerns early in pregnancy and was miserably congested and starting to wheeze. My midwife pointed out that it's more important that I be getting enough oxygen for me and the baby than the minimal effects the drugs might have on the baby. That made a lot of sense to me and so I took claratin while my allergies were going nuts. I started breathing better at night and felt better overall so I really think that was a good choice.
I don't have a great answer for you, because I gave up and took Claritin in my last pregnancy. I decided that it was better for the baby to take a medicine than it was to sit around and feel awful. The other option that was suggested to me was nettles, but you have to take A LOT to have any effects.
Whole Pregnancy Handbook recommends 3000 mg/day of EPA & DHA combined because omega 3 fatty acids reduce inflammation. Then when your symptoms decrease, 1000 mg/day. Also recommends acupuncture.
The neti pot can help, but only so much. When my symptoms are really bad I take Benadryl at night & it helps me feel better in the AM.
I was in your same boat while pg; I have horrible allergies, and get routine sinus infections if not taking my meds, yet I too was concerned about the effects of allergy medications on my unborn child. I take Claritin as my daily, and then sometimes an inhaler, and do sinus irrigation religiously. Like mentioned above, I figured it was better to have a little medication (Claritin) in me regularly to prevent breathing problems (and less oxygen to baby!) and the potential for the need for big medications to help fight off a massive sinus infection.
I looked up the research on Claritin while pg, I don't think I saved the links, but the only side affect to a fetus was in rats when given something like 100x the human adult dose. Since I knew I'd never be taking that much, I figured it would be safe!
Hope you get some relief soon!
- › goals for 2014 1 minute ago
- › Brining a turkey in kombucha how long should I let it ferment? 4 minutes ago
- › Announcing the News 7 minutes ago
- › July's Jubilantly Jovial DDC Roster 10 minutes ago
- › Beta/HCG levels 12 minutes ago
- › My daughter keeps saying she will be dead 23 minutes ago
- › Post-partum check in here! 28 minutes ago
- › Names yet? 28 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 32 minutes ago
- › Charting confusion, thoughts? 39 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo