or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Religious Studies › Textual Changes to the Roman Missal coming First Sunday of Advent
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Textual Changes to the Roman Missal coming First Sunday of Advent - Page 5

post #81 of 112

What's "Protestant music?" The hymns we sang in Baptist and Methodist services of my childhood and the contemporary Christian music I learned in non-denominational churches after I was grown are not like the songs we sing at Mass. I took RCIA classes and joined the Catholic Church 5 years ago. The few songs we've sung that had the same tunes as the old Methodist hymns have different lyrics.

post #82 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaJoie View Post

What's "Protestant music?" The hymns we sang in Baptist and Methodist services of my childhood and the contemporary Christian music I learned in non-denominational churches after I was grown are not like the songs we sing at Mass. I took RCIA classes and joined the Catholic Church 5 years ago. The few songs we've sung that had the same tunes as the old Methodist hymns have different lyrics.



Most often it is music written by protestant song writers (ie: Carry Your Candle, A Mighty Fortress is Our God, Amazing Grace) or lyrics that have questionable parts or interpretations (Amazing Grace- which implies that we are saved through faith alone, or Mary Did You Know- which implies that Mary had Original Sin and needed to be "saved")

 

post #83 of 112
Thread Starter 

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

post #84 of 112

I'm not sure why PAL's response (which was simple, direct, and polite) warranted snarky eye-rolls, but okay. 

post #85 of 112
Thread Starter 

She always defaults to that Evil Protestant Music to deflect from the fact that the RRM has its own faults.

post #86 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

She always defaults to that Evil Protestant Music to deflect from the fact that the RRM has its own faults.


1) You are confusing me with moonshoes, in that regard.  I may agree with her opinion, but I don't post about it.

2) A poster asked, I answered as best I could- guessing from which posts she was referring to regarding "Protestant music".

3) Why bothering posting a response when it does nothing to further the conversation?

4) RRM?

 

post #87 of 112
Thread Starter 

lol.gif  Well, in all fairness it is easy to confuse you two.

 

RRM = Revised Roman Missal

 

I don't see that the conversation has ground to a screeching halt because of anything I've posted ....

post #88 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post


1) You are confusing me with moonshoes, in that regard.  I may agree with her opinion, but I don't post about it.

2) A poster asked, I answered as best I could- guessing from which posts she was referring to regarding "Protestant music".

3) Why bothering posting a response when it does nothing to further the conversation?

4) RRM?

 


Thank you PatienceAndLove. Yes you guessed correctly. Apparently I had missed a lot of posts. I thought I replied directly after the original post about Protestant music.

 

post #89 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

lol.gif  Well, in all fairness it is easy to confuse you two.

 

RRM = Revised Roman Missal

 

I don't see that the conversation has ground to a screeching halt because of anything I've posted ....



obnoxious. Patience and Love posted a thoughtful and considerate response and you respond with eyerolls. Then you say we, two unique individuals with different thoughts and ideas, are easily confused because we are both traditional catholics. Very rude and uncalled for.

post #90 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

She always defaults to that Evil Protestant Music to deflect from the fact that the RRM has its own faults.



Not deflecting, stating the obvious truth. Protestant music is not evil, it's just not Catholic and has no place in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

post #91 of 112

I was really excited for the changes and I'm so happy with them. I think "men" still refers to mankind, i.e. humankind and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't think I'm a second class citizen in the Church. I think the Church and the theology of the Church really embraces the dignity of women. Have to say, I've never felt oppressed in the Church, only when I fell in with the more liberal mindset. It was exhausting.

Back to the translation, it is my understanding that the changes generally are a more accurate translation, the old translation completely left things out or said things in a way that changed the meaning and I recall being struck by "y con su espiritu" at the first spanish Mass I attended years ago, so I would think that we english speakers have been out on a limb saying anything else;)

post #92 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBecky View Post

I was really excited for the changes and I'm so happy with them. I think "men" still refers to mankind, i.e. humankind and it doesn't bother me at all. I don't think I'm a second class citizen in the Church. I think the Church and the theology of the Church really embraces the dignity of women. Have to say, I've never felt oppressed in the Church, only when I fell in with the more liberal mindset. It was exhausting.

Back to the translation, it is my understanding that the changes generally are a more accurate translation, the old translation completely left things out or said things in a way that changed the meaning and I recall being struck by "y con su espiritu" at the first spanish Mass I attended years ago, so I would think that we english speakers have been out on a limb saying anything else;)



It is quite exhausting to protest everything

 

post #93 of 112
Thread Starter 

I actually find it quite invigorating to question certain Church teachings as I learn more about their so-called basis and reasoning.  It often deepens and enriches my own faith and spirituality, to pray over these things and to take my thoughts to God to sort them out.  For me it is just one more opportunity to grow as a Catholic Christian.

post #94 of 112

Trigger, I agree that questioning is an important part of maturing in faith, and I don't think that Traditional Catholics don't question, it's just that we tend to question differently.  We wonder what does the Church teach, why does she teach that, but all the while, we assume that the Church is probably right.  Personally, my faith is grounded in a belief that the Church has a right to teach what she does, and that's something I've already worked out and come to a conclusion on it, so the assumption that the Church is probably right flows naturally.  Additionally, just as I would ask my children to question me respectfully, I attempt to give the teaching authority of the Church that same respect, settling my own disagreements by asking questions and exploring ideas rather than trumpeting the Church's faults to the world.

post #95 of 112

All seriousness aside, I just ran across this revised Christmas cookie recipe in the spirit of the new translation.

post #96 of 112

*giggle*  that's super cute.

post #97 of 112
Thread Starter 

~sigh~

 

It's more frustrating yet, when even the priests don't know what they're doing.

post #98 of 112

I've been to several different Churches since the corrected translation was put into action, and I have yet to see a priest not know what they are doing.

 

Really, at this point, continuing to complain isn't going to do anything.  The corrected translation is the one we will be using from now on, and we all have to get used to it.

post #99 of 112
Thread Starter 

Or,

 

Quote:

The "corrected" translation is the one we will be using from now on until Rome decides to change it AGAIN, and we all have to get used to it will muddle through for the time being, somehow.



 

post #100 of 112

Your attitude is disturbing

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Religious Studies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Religious Studies › Textual Changes to the Roman Missal coming First Sunday of Advent