I'm 12 weeks pregnant and have been told to stop the progesterone suppositories. I am totally freaked out and scared to do it. I have enough to go through 15 weeks. I am just wondering when others stopped and what the outcome was (good or bad). I really do hate taking them and they are making me feel awful so I don't want to take them a day longer than I have to, but I also want to keep taking them as long as I need to too... TIA!
Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
- itemGetting Pregnant Staying Pregnant Overcoming Infertility And Managing Your High Risk Pregnancy
- itemHealthy Longevity In China Demographic Socioeconomic And Psychological Dimensions The Springer Series On Demographic Methods And Population Analysis
- itemHealthy People The Surgeon Generals Report On Health Promotion Disease Prevention
- itemPregnancy Wishes IVF Dreams A Story Lessons About Life Love Infertility
Related Forum Threads
- Measles kill over 1,000 DR Congo children since January: UN Last post on 8/8/11 at 6:23pm in Vaccinations
- Input needed: 14yo over-exercises, loss of period, Female Athlete Triad Last post on 9/5/11 at 1:19pm in Preteens and Teens
- Help with Molluscum contagiosum Last post on 12/9/12 at 1:22pm in Health and Healing
- Queer, Pregnant, and Parenting--February and March 2013! Last post on 4/1/13 at 7:11pm in Queer Parenting
- over 43 and pregnant, are you taking extra precautions? Last post on 10/5/12 at 12:19pm in I'm Pregnant
When did you stop progesterone suppositories?
I stopped at 10 weeks. Everything turned out fine! (Not sure why you are on them in your particular case, but for me--IVF--my doc actually wanted me to stop them right after my BFP. I guess my progesterone levels were good. However, I reasoned with him to let me continue to 10 weeks.)
I stopped around 12 weeks. My doctor had been testing my progesterone levels and by 12 weeks they were good. She later joked that I'd taken "enough progesterone to sink a ship." I guess most women stop much sooner than 12 weeks. I didn't have any problems taking them and felt absolutely no different once I stopped.
I stopped at 10 1/2 weeks. I think they contributed to the awful nausea that I experienced so I was nervous yet at the same time glad to go off them. I thought that my provider would want to check my levels but since they saw the heartbeat on the ultrasound they weren't concerned at all. I'm a FTM and now 34 weeks!!
I was supposed to take my progesterone to 12 weeks, but I had enough to get me to 14 weeks, so I took them until I ran out. Three days after I stopped, I had super light spotting for about 24 hours. My doc says it was nothing, but I understand that some people do have slight withdrawal bleeding 2-4 days after they quit. I suppose I'll never know... Anyway, I'm 16w6d and all is well.
I took them for 13 weeks an d was totally freaked out about stopping even though I hated them. I wondered" how does the doctor know I'm ready to stop if he hasn't even checked my levels?" Well, the doctor does have experience....long story short ,we did have our baby boy in March. Everything will be fine.
I took them during my first pregnancy and stopped at 13 weeks. It made me incredibly nervous too, but everything turned out fine.
It seems like 10-13 weeks is the norm, so I guess there's a good reason for it. :)
I took progesterone and was told by my midwives to stop at 12-13 weeks. After that, I believe it can cause serious reproductive malformations to the baby. It was after three consecutive pregnancy losses and I did not lose the baby after I stopped taking the progesterone.
In addition, I have a medical textbook which states that in all clinical trials, there was no decrease in pregnancy loss in the women who were given progesterone in several trials that were cited, so I'm not sure why it's still given or if it even helps, but I did go on to have a healthy baby.
Thank you everyone! I cut the dose in half for a week starting at 13 weeks and stopped entirely at 14 weeks. I am now 15 weeks and all seems well. And I even seem to have lost a couple of pounds of bloat! And no more headaches. Lovely.
- When did you stop progesterone suppositories?
- › not vaccinating in huntsvile AL. lost. 42 seconds ago
- › Santa Fe/Espanola midwife recommendations or Los Alamos OB feedback 2 minutes ago
- › How do you handle payment for overseas travel when kids are really... 3 minutes ago
- › When to pierce ears? 3 minutes ago
- › Springfield illinois midwife 4 minutes ago
- › Lady threatened to call police on me for babywearing! 6 minutes ago
- › Is it too soon for a name thread? 6 minutes ago
- › Not vaccinating 7 minutes ago
- › Laramie Doulas 9 minutes ago
- › Finding clients with a 3-month-old 12 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Amy Lansky
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo