Hi everybody. A friend told me about this site and thought it would help in all the decisions I have ahead of me. I've been reading some threads and I'm glad I joined, because i can certanly use the support.
I just had my first baby in March. She's just about to turn 3 months old (where does the time go?). I've been questioniong vaccines since long before I was even married, but didn't truly start to research it until little Jersie Jean came into the world. I like to read a lot of the unbiased books and articles because I feel like it's good to understand both sides. I originally said absolutely NO vaccines until she was at least 1 year old. It doesn't seen crucial since she's not at daycare and is breastfed. But lately I've been questioning this decision. My husband has been researching with me and he feels that we should do selective - he doesn't feel comfortable with us getting NONE since out here (we live in Colorado) I dont have proper care for that. There are no holistic doctors or child chiropracters anywhere in the area. I would have to travel at least 2 hours to get to one. So what he wants us to do is to get the PC, DTaP, & HiB and that's all. Those seem to be the most commonly caught illnesses and the vaccines themselves seem to be safer than any others (although I question the DTaP even though I know the Whooping Cough is a pretty serious thing).
So needless to say it's been a VERY difficult decision. And right now we're between pediatricians because my last one was horrible. When I told him at her 2 month checkup that I did not want the vaccines, he immediately began telling me horror stories of babies who DON'T get vaccinated and how "selfish" it is to not to vaccinate b/c you're relying on everybody else to vaccinate their children so that you don't have to. My thoughts on that was that we ALL have the choice to make. It's not selfishness because any of these other parents can decide the same thing as me. It's not as though me not doing immunizations is telling them that they HAVE TO. That's just silly. But it upset me a lot and he basically told me that if I don't do them then I can no longer come back to him. So needless to say I left and have recently contacted another Dr who encourages Vaccines, but said he would respect my decision either way. I just haven't MADE that decision yet. It's the scariest thing I've ever had to deal with. I don't know what the right choice is here.
Any words of advice would definitely be appreciated!! I guess in the end I would LIKE to not do any, but I don't know if that's a possiblity in my case (with the lack of proper care) and I don't want to quarantine her for the following year(s) of her life. I want to return to church, I want to visit family and let them all hold and love her. Know what I mean? :(