Hi, Funny because I just took a 17 hr flight from LA to Bangkok with my 11.5 month old. i was flying with my husband though. We didn't have an extra seat, and the bassinet was already taken. But I agree with you, it wouldn't have been much use, but the extra leg room would have been nice.
Honestly, DS slept on my Boob for a lot of the flight, more than I thought.. and the few hours that he was awake, we played with some toys, gave him some snacks and he flirted with other passengers... It really wasn't as bad as I thought.. so don't worry too much about it.
BUT, since your flying alone, the one thing that may be hard will be eating... because me and my husband traded off for meals... Here are some snacks that helped us a lot to keep him occupied while we ate..
1. those rice thingies called "Mum Mums"- he can hold these and feed himself and keeps him very occupied.
2. Little rice puff O's
3. those tubes of food "Plum or Happy baby"- can squirt it right into their mouth with one hand while you eat with the other.
also here are some toys that he really liked
1. a plastic brightly colored jump rope from target... - it was great because it wasn't something that he could keep dropping and we have to constanlty pick up... we kind of just strung it on the tray and he fiddled with it for a while.
2. I read about blue painters tape, and we brought that and it was an okay distraction. It's cheap and he can stick it on and off of things.
3. books, he loves books so that helped.
good luck, and you'll be just fine, even if it's bad, it will be over in 14 hours :-)