Thanks guys. It's now turned into an even bigger decision. I kind of had it in my head that I wanted to give this guy every shot-- his practices sound great, and there's a good chance he won't even be attending my birth, which means that I can get his approval for all the things I want, but even if he does end up at my birth, I can ask for my husband (or myself...) to deliver the baby.
And then I got a call back from my MIL today saying that 'their' family OB had agreed to take me on as a patient as well as a favor (she's taking only high risk teens right now, not general population at all...). This doctor is nice, and she's supportive of natural birth, but I *have* been at a birth that she attended, and while she wasn't against the mom's wishes, she still seemed more medicalized than the reviews of this male doctor.
So now I have to choose between the two, but even more complicated... is that DH now feels if we don't go with his family OB, then it'll look bad and upset people because they worked so hard to call in favors and get me in. Not a good enough reason alone to choose a provider, but she does have going for her that she's female, and I know and have met her, and I do know that she's supportive of natural birth. In short, she wouldn't be a bad provider by any means, I'm just not sure if I'm convinced now that HE might not be the -better- provider, you know? So I'm kind of stuck. I think I'll probably get referred to her... and to him, and then have a meeting with him and see how my gut feels. I already know I won't get in for an appt with her until mid to end of july (which I'm ok with...) so I should have a few weeks to decide.