ok guys and girls i have a serious problem here so read good and i need HELP ASAP... 1st off i live in tx and by law im married (legally) i have 4 kids (single) yes is said i'm married but my husband and i been seperated after marriage 8years ago so he never been with our 2kids (drug problem) him not me.... Anyway, our oldest son Nyko is a problem child always goin to school getting in trouble lying,stealing,begging going to school with the same clothes on acting like our electric is off having ppl think like i dont feed him cps came school called telling me to come get a check to turn my electric on (IT WAS NEVER OFF).... losing my job making us homeless 4 times vandalizing buildings the list goes on and on.... well i know by law the kids will go to my husband i let my son go with his dad 4 6 mo i took my son off my case he didnt have medicaid,fs,or tanf cause my brother and sister called my po and tried to get me violated cause my brother wanted my son and didnt want my son to go to his dad due to the daddy being a x crack head... (still his dad) now, my brother has my son and wnt full custody of him what can i do cause we cant do anything til i get in contact with my husband.... Right????? he basically saying ASAP and he not waiting all day or he gonna go to drastic measures thats good for me did i tell yall me and my brother dont get along? If i call cps and give my son up will they take my other 3kids? A SINGLE MOM WITH A PROBLEM CHILD THATS TRYING TO GET HIM ON THE RIGHT TRACK AND NOT BE ANOTHER BLACK MAN AND STATISTIC....
I have a problem child that my brother wnt custody of
Tiredofdabs, if you're still reading (which I hope you are), here are my thoughts.
1) You need to find someone to advocate for you AND your son. A social worker, a behavioral therapist, someone. If you have any contacts for support like that through his school, start there. If not, call 311 if you're in a major city and ask for local counseling resources. Or look in the yellow pages or even just on google. If you have any connection to a church you could also try asking there to see if they have information or offer any type of advocate or resource service. If your son receives medicaid still there should also be case counselors/advocates available through your medicaid plan or try calling the Texas Medicaid number at (800) 252-8263. If you ask to speak with an advocate they should be able to at least guide you toward some services that might be helpful.
2) Call any and all psychologists or psychotherapists that are covered under your son's medicaid plan and get him an appointment with someone ASAP. If you are in Houston, send me a private message.
3) Keep any documentation you have about any of the events you described in your post (e.g. the electricity never having been turned off).
4) Look at this website for information on legal help if you need any legal advice: http://www.texaslawhelp.org/TX/index.cfm
5) If you think your brother might be a good influence on your son, talk to a lawyer and find out what the legal issues would be with letting your son stay with brother. I think you could do this unofficially without much of an issue but if you try to sign over parental rights or custody you would have to deal with your husband's parental rights too. Could your son stay with your brother for 3 months as a trial to see if he does better?
How old is your son?
I hope some of this information is helpful! Good for you for trying to get your son the help he needs. Don't feel discouraged by any negative responses on here, asking for help is the first step and it's hard to do. Let me know if you need any other information.
I think letting him stay with your brother sounds good. Even if you two don't get along, he might be a good backup parent.
I don't know what CPS will do, but I don't THINK they will take the other kids away from you if your other kids are doing fine at home. It's not like CPS has millions of homes waiting for foster kids, I think they want to keep families together as much as possible.