Dear Dr. Bob,
My DS was vaccinated on a delayed basis, so that by the time he was 18 months and we had left the US, he had received the vaccines for Hib (4), Polio (3), and DTaP (4) given one at a time. When he was 4 and we moved to Spain, we resumed vaccinating. He has received (at different times), a polio booster (which had to be specially ordered), MMR (2) and Men C (1). At age 6 in Spain all children receive the DTaP booster shot.
They have offered me the Hep B shots now, or I can wait until he is 13 which is the time they do the catch-up. I'm not sure about this one. My gut says he's not in a high-risk group but my DH and I both received out Hep B vaccines as adults. My husband was ill each time. I was fine, but have only ever received one shot. (7 years later my new employers insisted on titers before continuing the vaccination series and my titres were high, so I have had no more shots). What do you think - should we wait until he's 13? Is the risk of reaction higher in adolescents or adults than in younger children?
If I want him to be vaccinated for varicella, I can buy the vaccine now, OR if he gets to 10 without catching chickenpox naturally, they will automatically give him the varicella vaccine free of charge. On this one I'm inclined to wait until he's 10.
Looking at the Basque schedule they give me it seems the only shot he will have missed is BCG (given at 1 month here). They don't do Prevnar so I assume its not considered a problem here.
Thanks in advance,