or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › You might be a 'crunchy' parent if...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You might be a 'crunchy' parent if... - Page 11

post #201 of 218

  I totally get you. I'm right there with you. Why do women judge each other so much? We should be supporting each other. smile.gif

post #202 of 218



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

 

-When your 3 yo chooses nursing over ice cream, when you really really reallyreallyreally wanted him to choose the ice cream.


biglaugh.gifomg, I totally get you there!
 

 



 

post #203 of 218
When you are trying to buy some random thing (sunscreen, food, homeopathics, etc.) and you anguish over whether you should buy the 100% vegan option which has 1 or 2 chemical ingredients or the 100% natural item which has 1 or 2 animal ingredients...
post #204 of 218

 - when you have a coffee grinder and dehydrator in your kitchen marked in Sharpie - PLACENTA ONLY (for encapsulating your doula client's placentas.

- when your 2y/o DD comes out of a friend's bathroom asking "where are the wipes?" and thinks that toilet paper is just for playing with.

- when you have a sewing circle and have to explain that the red flannel pieces you're sewing together is a mama pad, and then you end up in a discussion about your diva cup, which you have to show to everyone there...

- when you've been referred to on a blog as "my hippie/crunchy friend who lives in a remodeled farmhouse who trades/barters food and crafts for EVERYTHING!"

- when your own mother says you're being paranoid about BPA, and then three years later realizes that BPA is really bad for you...

- when your holidays are filled with homemade gifts and goodies, either made or bartered for from friends.

- your DD throws a fit when you don't get the fruit and veggies she wants, but doesn't utter a peep when you go through the candy and chip aisle.

- you send the kids out to pick dandelions - to make dandelion jelly. And you don't frak out when your LO eats a bunch of white clover flowers. In fact, you encourage it.

- You are on a first name basis and know the life history of at least three of the farmers at the local farmer's market.

- the usual MDC stuff - CD, EBF, co sleeping, no vaxing, no circing, etc...

post #205 of 218

reading this through has made me realize that even if another mother isn't doing excactly what i am doing... it's OK.    thanks guys : )

post #206 of 218
I always go with the vegan option, but I've been to multiple stores (not too Eco-friendly) to find vegan AND petroleum free lip balm!
post #207 of 218

Oh, can you share a recipe for dandelion jam?

post #208 of 218

you might be a crunchy mom if:

 

-even though people say "get off your high horse" you laugh, because you know they will figure it out someday. 

- your 4 yo DS thinks its weird to see a mommy carrying a car seat around.

-you dread Christmas because again, you will have to return a hand full of toys because some family members don't get why kids shouldn't play with plastic battery operated toys. and you feel like you shouldn't have to explain your life to people, or feel guilty about your lifestyle! (IE: guilty about returning 'junk toys')

-you take glass jars home with you from houses that don't recycle when they say "just put it in the trash"

 

 

 

 

and to add: i joined mothering because it was crunchy! if you don't like what is being discussed about natural living, then get off the natural living web page. 

post #209 of 218

wow! I was just wondering if I might be a crunchy parent!  I've never heard of this before joinin mdc! 

post #210 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I didnt realize that keeping your nut yeast in a shaker or composting your poop was anyone trying to be "sparkly." SO WHAT if people want to make a list about how crunchy they are/arent? If it makes people feel bad, Im sorry. It makes me feel bad when people complain about still having (only) 5 lbs to lose, but I dont say anything. Lots of threads make people feel bad, and NOT everyone is meant to be included in every single thread. Tell me that none of you complaining cant think of anything that you do in your lives that sets you aside from most people you run in to? There are a million boards all over the internet talking about how they did everything exactly like "What to Expect in the First Year" told them to, but we cant say that we compost poop without being treated like we are trying to host an awards show?


ETA: Exactly when and where is it okay to be proud of the way you are parenting? Not around my family. Not around a lot of my friends. Not around anyone at the grocery store where I live. So, who exactly are some of us supposed to have camaraderie with about the choices we are making? I thought a natural parenting site was a perfect place....



It's never okay to proud of the way you parent, right?  I'm a believer in just being who you are as a parent, which changes and grows with each baby born!  I just had my 3rd and I've become slightly more "crunchy" with each one.  I'll be judged for my parenting and any growing I may do as a person and mother by someone, I'm sure!  btw, I have an Adeline!  Great name. =)

 

post #211 of 218

Going through and reading some of the things that would class you are "crunchy" has made me realize I may not be as crunchy as I thought I was. :p Well I mean I am the usually, CD, baby wearing, attachement parenting, baby lead weaning etc things, but nothing too "extreme".

post #212 of 218

This is one thing that boggles my mind. We recycle but here they don't take glass of any kinds. And we don't have the room to hold on to many containers so yeah we always say put it in the trash. Even more common containers are on the do not list. And yet we were given this huge bin(bigger then our trash bin) for recyclables. However I don't have the time to find and drive to a center that would take them so while I feel some guilt I just have to let it go. But I still find it weird that they don't take glass. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivica2 View Post

you might be a crunchy mom if:

 

-even though people say "get off your high horse" you laugh, because you know they will figure it out someday. 

- your 4 yo DS thinks its weird to see a mommy carrying a car seat around.

-you dread Christmas because again, you will have to return a hand full of toys because some family members don't get why kids shouldn't play with plastic battery operated toys. and you feel like you shouldn't have to explain your life to people, or feel guilty about your lifestyle! (IE: guilty about returning 'junk toys')

-you take glass jars home with you from houses that don't recycle when they say "just put it in the trash"

 

 

 

 

and to add: i joined mothering because it was crunchy! if you don't like what is being discussed about natural living, then get off the natural living web page. 



 

post #213 of 218

   I haven't seen any posts that are against crunchy parenting, what are you talking about?

post #214 of 218

I'm a NMY, but I'll play!

 

-When your period comes a week early, you're 500 miles away from home (therefore your mama cloth) and you have to use a tampon...you cringe and feel like crying.

 

-I became a staunch homebirth advocate at age 17, for some background. I was 18, and dating my first serious boyfriend. I was at his house for Thanksgiving and his mom was telling some story about getting in the car in labor and how awful it was. Totally calm, I say "That's why I'm SO GLAD I'll be birthing my babies at home when the day comes." Apparently that's not something mainstream people expect to hear, hehe.

 

-When you realize you ate all the brown rice in the fridge and your soup is ready now, so you grab some Uncle Ben's ready rice, read the ingredients list and postpone dinner for 30 minutes while you make real rice.

 

-When you can pronounce quinoa, tempeh and seitan

 

-I'm a die-hard vegetarian who obnoxiously checks all labels

 

-I hide the one roll of emergency paper towels so that I don't use them out of laziness

 

-When the entire house is dark except one lamp in the one corner of the one room you're in

 

-When you see someone throw away a recycleable, and your first course of action is to run over and grab it out to recycle before it gets too gross

 

-When you haven't taken any medication other than herbal PMS pills since the strep incident of 2009

 

-When your fellow crunchy friends start dating a new guy and calls you at 2 am to gleefully inform you that he's intact

 

-When you hear that someone weaned before age two, and your first thought is "wow that's young!" This is really poignant for me because I was not raised around breastfeeding and always said I wouldn't nurse. Then I thought I'd pump for awhile. Then I though ABSOLUTELY NO MORE THAN A YEAR! Now I hear of 3/4/5 year olds nursing, and not only does it not gross me out, I hope to someday make it that long!

 

-

post #215 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie

 

-When you hear that someone weaned before age two, and your first thought is "wow that's young!" This is really poignant for me because I was not raised around breastfeeding and always said I wouldn't nurse. Then I thought I'd pump for awhile. Then I though ABSOLUTELY NO MORE THAN A YEAR! Now I hear of 3/4/5 year olds nursing, and not only does it not gross me out, I hope to someday make it that long!

 

 


I'm the same way now!  I was always nurse-for-a-year-no-longer sort until I moved to the Portland area.  Now when I hear of an under-two being weaned all I can think is, "Poor baby!"

 

Best of luck in nursing your future hippie babies!

 

post #216 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post




I'm the same way now!  I was always nurse-for-a-year-no-longer sort until I moved to the Portland area.  Now when I hear of an under-two being weaned all I can think is, "Poor baby!"

 

Best of luck in nursing your future hippie babies!

 



Yo.  I nursed my oldest to 3.  I will wean my younger daughter long before she is 2 because I will cease to be a nice mother if I continue to do something that has become horrible for me.  I don't think it will make her a poor baby.  Instead she will be a lucky baby who has a mother who thinks that being nice is more important than marking every check box on a crunchy list.

post #217 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post





Yo.  I nursed my oldest to 3.  I will wean my younger daughter long before she is 2 because I will cease to be a nice mother if I continue to do something that has become horrible for me.  I don't think it will make her a poor baby.  Instead she will be a lucky baby who has a mother who thinks that being nice is more important than marking every check box on a crunchy list.


Of course there are extenuating circumstances and a happy mother makes for a happy child.  Sorry for the unintended offense.

 

ETA:  HOWEVER, I am not nursing past two just so I can check every box on some mythical crunchy list.  I nurse past two because that's what's best for my kids.  You're weaning before two because that's what's best for your kids.  Different families, different moms, different parenting.  And that's okay.

 

post #218 of 218

Not as crunchy as some but,

Your milk still comes in a glass bottle, as in cow not human hehehe

You eat the WHOLE dandelion

People hate that your house is so dark

Your eggs are still warm when you crack them open

an old sheet looks like the perfect carrier

Your dc are disgusted when they see trash on the ground ( except for ds who throws his on the ground duh.gif)

The meat in your freezer has been harvested and cut up by your own hands

 Not so crunchy

TP....Although I am leaning towards fc.....should I just implement it and see how it goes???? 

tv ( I LOVE the Mentalist and American Horror story)

I drive way more than I should
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › You might be a 'crunchy' parent if...