I've been around MDC for years now but haven't been here much in the last several months, so I was surprised to see this thread allowed to continue for so long. BUT I have to say, I'm really glad it has and I, for one, am really happy with the recent changes. In the past I've been turned off by the judgmental, "crunchier-than-thou" tone of many threads, and it made me cringe, it deeply saddened me, to see mamas who were genuinely seeking advice be flamed for their choices. I've learned so much from MDC and especially when my kids were babies, I came here for advice frequently and I can honestly say that MDC has significantly shaped my parenting choices. My DS is circed but had I discovered MDC earlier, he wouldn't have been. I also used sposies on him, but because of MDC, I CDed my DD and will any subsequent babies as well. I think I'm a gentler, more loving mother because of this community, and I wonder how many other mamas might've had the same experience had they been treated in a more supportive, less judgmental way. I wish there was a way for us to have open discussions, to support, encourage and educate one another without attacking and judging, to have conversations tempered with tolerance, kindness and respect, rather than blindly pushing an agenda of perfect "APness." Obviously, most posters are not doing that but I did sometimes get that feeling from a highly vocal minority.
* Junk food. My kids eat great. Me? Not so much, and I've gotten more relaxed with their diets as they get older
* I drive way too much. My car is small and fuel-efficient but I use it way more than I'd like.
* I used to compost but stopped. I could never get the balance right and got tired of the stinkiness.
* DD was CDed from birth but wears sposie pull-ups occasionally at night now.
* DS is circed (see above). I feel terrible about it and wish I could change it but what's done is done. :(
* I confess that I can't imagine having an UC, and though I've made the switch to cloth pads, I will never do FC. I don't judge others who make these choices, but they are definitely not for me.
* I'm not as gentle with discipline as I'd like to be. I'm working on it...
The discipline issue is one of the reasons I came back to MDC today, to visit the GD boards for inspiration and encouragement. I find myself coming back here occasionally for an AP "tune-up," so to speak, so I don't necessarily want it to become more mainstream around here, but I do think less judgement and more tolerance would be a nice change!