or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › The Vibe of MDC right now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Vibe of MDC right now - Page 3

post #41 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post

I haven't actually been around here much since the software changeover - most of the bugs were never really sorted out, and I will say, as a tech-geek: it sucks. So I haven't really seen what the new "lesser" moderation is like. But I will agree with those that said the old moderation was simply too strict. I got so many warnings and alerts for really ridiculous nit-picky things. All the old policies that were a whole lot of double-speak drove so many of us to drink (well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). I really miss the days where we could just have harmless friendly banter in TAO.

I wonder - is there some kind of middle-ground between the loss of moderation that has led to nastiness and trolling and the previous uber-strictness?




I think this is what, as mods and admins, we're struggling with. Let's face it, with the old UA, we wouldn't even be discussing this at all. Lightening up the moderation was meant to encourage things like bantering in TAO. I miss that too! lol.gif But we are getting such mixed messages here. More moderation, less moderation. We can all be adults, there is too much childish behavoir going on.

As for getting alerts for knitpicky things, well, yeah. We were kind of between a rock and a hard place with the old UA. There wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room to use our own discretion. Namecalling was namecalling, no matter what. Mentioning religion in TCAC was the same thing as striking up a coversation dealing directly with religious circ. So, I think the ability to have a bit more wiggle room and take into account people's intentions, not just words, is great.

I like that we aren't handing out reminders or alerts, just asking for edits if necesary and letting conversations take their course. There have been quite a few conversations where we used to step in and shut them down. Now I've seen some conversations that started out a bit scary, end up with people actually working through things, maybe agreeing to disagree, but still feeling they have been heard.

I truly hate the nasty meaness and accusations that are flying. I hate the idea that people really think the mods were in some way constructing a conspiracy to "get" some people. We didn't ever have time for that crap. Of course, now that we've got so much more time on our hands....Bwahahahahaaaa!

I would really like people to give us the benefit of the doubt. We still haven't settled in to the new platform and we certainly haven't settled into the new moderation style. We are working on it, though. It just takes time.


Thanks for posting that QOTM. and I do believe that mods were really working for the good of the board, and also constrained by an overly-rigid UA. But I will say, as someone on the other end, it was, at times, pretty easy to feel "conspired against" and persecuted. Especially when some threads - that really were harmless, playful banter - had mods assigned to watch over them constantly. Anyway, paranoia aside, I'm really glad to see that there's a healthy dialogue going on :) I'm sure we can all work something out that's healthy and workable for everyone.

 

post #42 of 86

Posted in the wrong thread, sorry.

post #43 of 86

Rynna, I remember you from the Gifted Parenting Forum!  I have been around forever and I feel exactly the same as you.  What the heck happened to this place?  It's SO SAD! :(

 

post #44 of 86

I agree when I first came to the forum its was amazing, a safe haven for naturally mined parents. I feel Mothering sold out, they lost their support and now everything is dying here. Heck I don't even come here much anymore.

post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post

In my opinion, the more/less moderation conversation is just a polite distraction from what's really causing the funky vibe. More and more members are becoming aware of and outraged by the racist and homophobic threads hosted by mdc, combined with a lack or responsibility by mdc for their recent egregious "errors" in ad partnering. Furthermore, I think members are losing patience with the response given when the authority here is questioned. Instead of healthy discussion, there is a simple smack down of shut the F up - thread closed, "end of disscusion." The hypocrisy between gentle discipline and how mdc admin acts is laughable - just not sure the good outweighs the bad anymore for a lot of folks...


To the bolding--Yes, yes, a million times yes! 

 

I am still utterly outraged, disgusted, and horrified that MDC posted an advertorial in the Adoption forum for a group that is backed by Pat Robertson, blamed its presence on some poor low-level employee, and has continued to refuse to make a clear, easily visible apology for their "partnership" choice.  I'm tired of seeing people get mod-smacked for asking, again and again, for an explanation and apology, only to be told again and again it's been addressed.  The folks on this board are quite smart (it's one of the many reasons I prefer it to other parenting boards), so if they persist in asking for something, I'm going to assume they're not just trying to be a PITA, but they genuinely don't feel their posts and questions were answered.

 

The same horror goes for the questions posted by the MDC UN; I find it ironic that people in the Moderation Thread are complaining about not feeling "safe" at MDC due to less moderation (and I guess more snarkiness?), yet have not said anything about how threads that are either racist, classist, or homophobic in their intent or in the responses they seem designed to garner are truly what should make one feel unsafe.

 

These sorts of hate-mongering threads are, for me, what has made the vibe around her really uncomfortable.  Snarkiness?  Not so much.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

I think a big part of some of the "disrespectful" posting seen of late is that people are feeling disrespected themselves. It's very hard to maintain respect for a community that continually disrespects you.


Yep.  Absolutely.

 

post #46 of 86

Somehow I was completely clueless to the above...

post #47 of 86

Cynthia keeps saying the mods have answered all the questions we have, but I must be missing it.  Can anyone link me to where I can find out what the reply to people wanting a forum wide apology for the Pat Robertson thing is, and what they plan on doing about the errors in ad partnering?  I know there was more I was wondering, but I'm too tired to think right now.

 

post #48 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

Cynthia keeps saying the mods have answered all the questions we have, but I must be missing it.  Can anyone link me to where I can find out what the reply to people wanting a forum wide apology for the Pat Robertson thing is, and what they plan on doing about the errors in ad partnering?  I know there was more I was wondering, but I'm too tired to think right now.

 


The request for a formal apology has not been addressed.
post #49 of 86

I'm kind of waiting too. I usually boycott businesses and various media that sponsor hate, even occasionally write and then boycott their advertisers. First there were threads here and topics brought up on facebook that invited racist and homophobic discourse and then there was the Pat Robertson stuff. It's really sad.


Edited by ssh - 6/19/11 at 8:54pm
post #50 of 86

I'm waiting, as well. I don't post a lot. I lurk. But, I don't want to give up going here. I will, however. The things that have been happening on this board lately are just over the top.

post #51 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMommaToTwo View Post

I'm waiting, as well. I don't post a lot. I lurk. But, I don't want to give up going here. I will, however. The things that have been happening on this board lately are just over the top.

 

ITA

 

Wow. This place has REALLY changed and it doesn't look like any of it is for the better.



 

post #52 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post

I agree when I first came to the forum its was amazing, a safe haven for naturally mined parents. I feel Mothering sold out, they lost their support and now everything is dying here. Heck I don't even come here much anymore.


Me too.
 

 

post #53 of 86

This is mentioned frequently and it is true - you can't please everyone all the time. I think it's great that MDC is open to hearing (and implementing) suggestions from users now.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

...I truly hate the nasty meaness and accusations that are flying. I hate the idea that people really think the mods were in some way constructing a conspiracy to "get" some people. We didn't ever have time for that crap. Of course, now that we've got so much more time on our hands....Bwahahahahaaaa!

I would really like people to give us the benefit of the doubt. We still haven't settled in to the new platform and we certainly haven't settled into the new moderation style. We are working on it, though. It just takes time.


I think this is true for many moderators in many situations, but mods are human, too.  And, after what I have seen, it is pretty clear some moderators can get bothered by being questioned and then "lash out" in the form of an infraction/alert.

 

That said, I really appreciate that the training wheels are off now. smile.gif

post #54 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post


I think this is true for many moderators in many situations, but mods are human, too.  And, after what I have seen, it is pretty clear some moderators can get bothered by being questioned and then "lash out" in the form of an infraction/alert.

 

That said, I really appreciate that the training wheels are off now. smile.gif


I have definately made mistakes before. I really appreciate when people PM me to discuss an alert or reminder (which thankfully we don't have to do anymore! joy.gif). I know I've overturned a few, because I misinterpreted something. I think most mods are happy to discuss things up to a point. Then we usually just turn things over to the admins. That's why they make the big bucks! lol.gif
post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
 This is what I believe went down recently that has caused lower participation and a weird vibe.

 

  • Mothering Magazine stopped publicizing their magazine and did not return money to recent subscribers. Some people were very upset by this.
  • MDC has attempted to increase their web presence by posting forum threads on their Facebook page (although they may have changed this) which upset quite a few people.
  • As all these changes have taken place, “trolls” have dropped by more often to post and cause havoc. Some of the threads you mention might have been started by Trolls. This has added to the bad vibe for sure.
  • It has also been brought to more member attention (certainly mine) that other forums post and mock our threads to their forums. This isn’t anything MDC can control, but it has caused some people to not want to most here for privacy reasons.

 

I think all of this has caused people to “jump ship” and less forum activity, which makes MDC not a very exciting place.

I definitely think it is far more than just the lowered moderation that has lead to any weird vibe, decreased participation and snarkiness. It’s all of the above.


These are the valid reasons for me.  At the forefront #1.  Lots of money was taken and the issue was not fixed to many people's satisfaction, including mine.    

 

post #56 of 86

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post

I agree when I first came to the forum its was amazing, a safe haven for naturally mined parents. I feel Mothering sold out, they lost their support and now everything is dying here. Heck I don't even come here much anymore.



I agree 100%    

post #57 of 86

I've been here for a long while and this used to be my favorite forum on the internet. I fondly remember MotheringDotCommune :) I haven't been around much since my baby was born, but I was very active in my DDC, which was an amazing haven for me. I feel like the vibe is definitely different (and not in a good way), but I have no easy solution. I haven't really noticed the light/heavy/light moderation swings, I guess because I have never posted many controversial things (and also my post frequency was never high, I mainly came here to educate myself by reading threads). I do hope that MDC fixes its problems, because I used to recommend this site to everyone I came across who had questions about anything related to NFL. Now I'm not as confident that they will get a warm welcome and be taken under the proverbial wing of experienced mamas. I don't know what to say. I still lurk now and then, and post occasionally, but I have found other "homes" on the internet where I feel it's more like a family and community, rather than a big huge commercialized conglomerate company running a forum. RIP MDC, I truly hope you rise from the dead...if you do, I'll be ready and waiting to participate more heavily as part of this formerly beautiful and awesome community. 

post #58 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post

I'm kind of waiting too. I usually boycott businesses and various media that sponsor hate, even occasionally write and then boycott their advertisers. First there were threads here and topics brought up on facebook that invited racist and homophobic discourse and then there was the Pat Robertson stuff. It's really sad.



SSh, with respect, here are my thoughts.  I don't really understand what people are waiting for.  In many threads it was explained that it was an error based on the relationship w/Huddler and had to do with a computer algorythm that assigned the ad/post.  It sounds like the error was not picked up, so it was also human oversight.  

 

Yes, if it's racist or homophobic -- gross.  But do you really think that MDC supports that?  And wasn't the thread or ad (I didn't see it myself) removed?

 

I'm not seeing what the big deal is.  I made a big mistake at work yesterday.  I'm not beating myself up for it.  I said it was my fault, unintentional as it was, and apologized.  I'm human.  And so are the people that run this place for us.

post #59 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post





SSh, with respect, here are my thoughts.  I don't really understand what people are waiting for.  In many threads it was explained that it was an error based on the relationship w/Huddler and had to do with a computer algorythm that assigned the ad/post.  It sounds like the error was not picked up, so it was also human oversight.  

 

Yes, if it's racist or homophobic -- gross.  But do you really think that MDC supports that?  And wasn't the thread or ad (I didn't see it myself) removed?

 

I'm not seeing what the big deal is.  I made a big mistake at work yesterday.  I'm not beating myself up for it.  I said it was my fault, unintentional as it was, and apologized.  I'm human.  And so are the people that run this place for us.


Most people are seeing the big deal as MDC passing off all the blame to Huddler and taking no responsibility for the actions of their company and not issuing a formal apology.  That's what people, myself included, want.

 

post #60 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

SSh, with respect, here are my thoughts.  I don't really understand what people are waiting for.  In many threads it was explained that it was an error based on the relationship w/Huddler and had to do with a computer algorythm that assigned the ad/post.  It sounds like the error was not picked up, so it was also human oversight.  

 

Yes, if it's racist or homophobic -- gross.  But do you really think that MDC supports that?  And wasn't the thread or ad (I didn't see it myself) removed?

 

I'm not seeing what the big deal is.  I made a big mistake at work yesterday.  I'm not beating myself up for it.  I said it was my fault, unintentional as it was, and apologized.  I'm human.  And so are the people that run this place for us.

 

After having been called a troll and having my account closed, I am fearful of explaining my position on this, which directly speaks to what the vibe of MDC is.  Suffice it to say that to some, institutionalized support of misogyny, racism and homophobia is a VERY BIG DEAL, even if it is accidental. 
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › The Vibe of MDC right now