1) remove blatantly commercial SPAM, and unrelated link traffic -- NQA
2) ban users that resort to threats of violence or other unlawful acts -- differentiate exaggeration from credibility.
3) never post as mods -- use one alias to moderate and a different alias to post.
4) never delete discussions, lock the topic in place and truncate the thread to a 1 reply link to *HOT TOPIC* thread space - move OT posts to another area.
5) recognize that even the most wizened and sage member can occasionally make a *stupid* statement that generates a "snarky" response.
6) allow *all* forms of humor, even when some deem it offensive, that's what ignore buttons are for...
7) tell noobs to read the rulz -- tell noobs to Read The Rulz -- TELL noobs to READ THE RULZ, and if they consistently fail to comprehend the rules change their avatar to something very unflattering and lock it in place until the noob earns the right to have it unlocked.
8) accept the *FACT* that descent people of divergent backgrounds can *DISAGREE* on topics, and it *may* become heated discussion. So what! If the loser can't take the heat they're a cry-baby and losing them as a member isn't that big of a deal.