My Lunette cup REEKS! I am wondering if this is specific to the Lunette cup or is it a problem with many other cups? I have only ever owned a Diva Cup before and while it was tinged brown for most of the time I owned it, it never stank. Does your cup ever stink? If so what remedies do you use? I'm going to try sunning my cup today, tea tree oil didn't work all the way.
Related Forum Threads
- Which MaMa Cloth?? Too many choices....help! Last post on 4/22/13 at 2:46pm in Natural Body Care
- Natural body care products - what are your must haves? Last post on 4/19/13 at 8:27am in Natural Body Care
- Cloth options for young teens? Last post on 3/8/13 at 3:53pm in Preteens and Teens
- Questions about reuseable menstrual pads? We have an expert for you! Last post on 3/1/13 at 1:22pm in Natural Body Care
- Cloth suggestions for mama with very heavy periods? Last post on 1/31/13 at 3:07pm in Natural Body Care
My First GladRags: One Woman's Happy Transition to Cloth
Edited on 12/6/12
lunette cup smell
Poll Results: Does your menstrual cup ever stink?
16% (1)I have a Lunette and I have never had problems with smell
33% (2)I have a Lunette and I have had problems with smell
16% (1)I have another cup and I have never had problems with smell (please post the brand and length of use in my thread!)
33% (2)I have another cup and I have had problems with smell (please post the brand and length of use in my thread!)
I've been using mine for about 6 months, and all of a sudden it started to smell too. It was fine, and I wash it as instructed boiling it in water as needed. I'm about to try maybe using lemon juice or vinegar, only I am a little worried that any residue from that may hurt later.
I don't have a lunette but a diva. Once early when I first bought it this happened to mine to, I boiled the heck out of it and nothing got rid of it, except when I put some baking soda in the little case that it came in and all over the diva, inside and out, and left it for a few days, smell disappeared and never came back. I'm guessing it was a ph issue or something....baking soda cured it and it has never happened again, though I keep baking soda sprinkled in it's little baggie still.
I have a Diva Cup, and I've had problems with both staining and smell. I tried everything to get rid of the funk, and I finally soaked it in a solution of OxyClean and water. No more stains, and the smell disappeared too. I've only done it once in the 3+ years I've used it. Next time I may try an enzymatic cleaner instead.
I love my lunette!
I have never really had a problem with smell.
But I hate it being stained, so every few months I soak it overnight in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of the staining. Works like a charm! I have heard people say that I shouldn't because it might damage the silicon, but I haven't noticed any sort of damage.
Maybe this keeps the smell away? I don't know because I've never had a problem with it.
But it makes sense that the smell would come with the staining, because silicone can't absorb the smell or anything because it's non porous. So it has to be coming from the little bits of stuff that stick to it's surface and make it turn brown. (I know it's kinda gross, but think about it)
Ah yes, the menstrual cup smell... it happens to the best of us. ;)
If the smell just happens when you empty it, it's not really anything to worry about -- just rinse and wash thoroughly. My cups (I use the Lunette Cynthia and the Moon Cup) sometimes smell yucky when I take them out, but I usually do it in the shower, so I just scrub thoroughly between my hands with hot water and soap, and that does the trick.
If the smell is lingering, sunshine can certainly help. So can lemon juice, although I haven't tried this personally. Hydrogen peroxide works well, and will help with discoloration. You could also try boiling the cup for a few minutes.
Hope this helps!
- lunette cup smell
- › IVF Graduates thread!! 3 minutes ago
- › My Mom Has Cancer... and I can't Stand Her. 10 minutes ago
- › Visitation place ideas? 13 minutes ago
- › Measuring small? 16 minutes ago
- › Any BTDT advice for the first few weeks with newborn twins? 24 minutes ago
- › How would you deal with this bilingual child's issue? 30 minutes ago
- › Roll Call! 36 minutes ago
- › Sleeping to much? 37 minutes ago
- › Athletic mamas? 39 minutes ago
- › Names, anyone? 39 minutes ago
- › Trillium Organics OGmama Belly Butter by trilliumama
- › Gaiam Wrap Waist Yoga Pants by Melanie Mayo
- › Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by dayiscoming2006
- › Charlie Banana Reusable Feminine Pads Liner Butterfly, Butterfly by Chapsie
- › Earth Mama-Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm, 2 fl oz (60 ml) by Chapsie
- › Econobum Individual by Chapsie
- › EnJoye LBI Deluxe Tote Set - Brown by JennaRose
- › Lusa Organics Booty Balm by emkassu
- › I Took the Moon for a Walk by Melanie Mayo
- › BabyKicks Premium Pocket Diaper by KirstenP
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions - Sustainability Oak... by JenniO11
- › Terms and Conditions - Mothering... by JenniO11