My Lunette cup REEKS! I am wondering if this is specific to the Lunette cup or is it a problem with many other cups? I have only ever owned a Diva Cup before and while it was tinged brown for most of the time I owned it, it never stank. Does your cup ever stink? If so what remedies do you use? I'm going to try sunning my cup today, tea tree oil didn't work all the way.
- brandGladRagstagged by System, 1/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Diva Cup after childbirth - Do I really need the size 2? Last post on 6/3/13 at 3:20pm in Natural Body Care
- Which MaMa Cloth?? Too many choices....help! Last post on 4/22/13 at 2:46pm in Natural Body Care
- Natural body care products - what are your must haves? Last post on 6/12/13 at 12:50pm in Natural Body Care
- Cloth options for young teens? Last post on 3/8/13 at 3:53pm in Preteens and Teens
- Questions about reuseable menstrual pads? We have an expert for you! Last post on 3/1/13 at 1:22pm in Natural Body Care
A Reusable Menstrual Products Q&A with GladRags Owner Tracy Puhl
Last edited: 2/22/13
- My First GladRags: One Woman's Happy Transition to ClothLast edited: 12/6/12
- My First GladRags: One Woman's Happy Transition to Cloth
lunette cup smell
Poll Results: Does your menstrual cup ever stink?
16% (1)I have a Lunette and I have never had problems with smell
33% (2)I have a Lunette and I have had problems with smell
16% (1)I have another cup and I have never had problems with smell (please post the brand and length of use in my thread!)
33% (2)I have another cup and I have had problems with smell (please post the brand and length of use in my thread!)
I don't have a lunette but a diva. Once early when I first bought it this happened to mine to, I boiled the heck out of it and nothing got rid of it, except when I put some baking soda in the little case that it came in and all over the diva, inside and out, and left it for a few days, smell disappeared and never came back. I'm guessing it was a ph issue or something....baking soda cured it and it has never happened again, though I keep baking soda sprinkled in it's little baggie still.
I have a Diva Cup, and I've had problems with both staining and smell. I tried everything to get rid of the funk, and I finally soaked it in a solution of OxyClean and water. No more stains, and the smell disappeared too. I've only done it once in the 3+ years I've used it. Next time I may try an enzymatic cleaner instead.
I love my lunette!
I have never really had a problem with smell.
But I hate it being stained, so every few months I soak it overnight in hydrogen peroxide to get rid of the staining. Works like a charm! I have heard people say that I shouldn't because it might damage the silicon, but I haven't noticed any sort of damage.
Maybe this keeps the smell away? I don't know because I've never had a problem with it.
But it makes sense that the smell would come with the staining, because silicone can't absorb the smell or anything because it's non porous. So it has to be coming from the little bits of stuff that stick to it's surface and make it turn brown. (I know it's kinda gross, but think about it)
Ah yes, the menstrual cup smell... it happens to the best of us. ;)
If the smell just happens when you empty it, it's not really anything to worry about -- just rinse and wash thoroughly. My cups (I use the Lunette Cynthia and the Moon Cup) sometimes smell yucky when I take them out, but I usually do it in the shower, so I just scrub thoroughly between my hands with hot water and soap, and that does the trick.
If the smell is lingering, sunshine can certainly help. So can lemon juice, although I haven't tried this personally. Hydrogen peroxide works well, and will help with discoloration. You could also try boiling the cup for a few minutes.
Hope this helps!
- › Want to help a family in need this holiday season? Become a Holiday... 8 minutes ago
- › Dried placenta and umbilical cord keepsake ornament? 10 minutes ago
- › Chickenpox, to expose or not to expose 13 minutes ago
- › Desperate for a Change in our Dinnertime/Eating! 15 minutes ago
- › Due Date Roll Call 18 minutes ago
- › Any Vegan or Vegetarian Moms-To-Be? 22 minutes ago
- › Post-partum check in here! 23 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 26 minutes ago
- › Raising an extrovert when you're an introvert. (responses very much... 26 minutes ago
- › Is anyone planning on EC with their newbie? 36 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by MamaLucera
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo