My caregivers during my last (only) pregnancy was an OB / MW group that I joined at 34 weeks (due to circumstances beyond my control). I gave birth at 36 weeks. It was a horrible pregnancy- I had hyperemesis and lost 35 pounds, plus I developed a blood clot at 9 weeks and had to be on injectable bloodthinners for the duration of the pg.
DH and I may try to become pg again this fall. My hematologist has said that in his opinion, I should start the injectable bloodthinners again the minute I find out that I am pg. While I think that the main reason the blood clot formed was because I was dehydrated and immobile from being so sick, the hematologist said that I do have one, possible two, genetic markers that indicate a clotting problem.
Here's the thing, though. I have already decided that I will NOT do the bloodthinners if I get pregnant again. (If I develop another blood clot, then I won't have a choice. I will have to do the injections or terminate.) But I will NOT take the bloodthinners for purely preventative reasons.
Can my OB/MW practice refuse to take me on for a second pregnancy if I make this choice????
Thanks for reading all this.