- How are utilities? Very expensive? Cheap? Somewhere in between? I read that electricity is pretty low cost, but what about gas heating, etc? Are the low property taxes offset by other expenses I'm not factoring in?
- What's the rural Internet situation like?
- I heard that there is a lot of pollution everywhere, in ground water, in the air, etc. due to its manufacturing past. Is that true?
- We want to live in a rural or very small town area - albeit one reasonably close to a VA hospital (that's flexible, but within a few hours would be great) and a great library system, easy access year-round, and hopefully near a community college. Any thoughts on areas we might want to look into? We have a pretty low budget for a house (around 100-125K) and want to get at least an acre or two, but we've found quite a few properties online that seem promising. Any areas where the cost of living is lower compared to the rest of the state?
- How bad are winters? We want to garden and keep some animals (chickens, goats, mostly). Any special considerations I should take into account? We're from CT originally so that climate is the norm for me.
That's all I can think of, really. Any help would be so much appreciated.