or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wool Nursing Pads

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I have wanted wool nursing pads but have not been able to justify the $$ for the lanacare wool that I really wanted. But, yesterday, I bid on 8 new, organic wool nursing pads on ebay. I got them for .99 + 9.00 shipping from Germany. I think that that may need to be doubled in the very beginning, but that is fine with me.

 

Anyone else have experience with wool pads?

post #2 of 15

I have never heard of wool nursing pads. I would think that would be uncomfortable.... What are the advantages of wool verses cotton?

 

 

post #3 of 15

I gave some wool nursing pads to a friend a few years ago, and she loved them. I ordered some for myself this time around, but they turned out to be HUGE-- I'm sure I'll use them, but only for the immediate postpartum leaking. No way could I wear them under clothing.

 

The advantage of wool for nursing pads is that they are warm, don't stick to your nipples, are extremely absorbent, and naturally antibacterial. They dry odorless, and don't need to be laundered very often, just aired out. Very similar to the reasons wool diaper covers are so great. The wool they are made from is extremely soft, and not treated with chemicals that could cause skin reactions. They can also be "lanolized" which will contribute to their antibacterial and clean-drying properties. I love wool! Can you tell?

post #4 of 15

Should also mention that in addition to being warm, wool nursing pads are also cool-- one of the many amazing qualities of wool. They also don't feel wet until very saturated. This knowledge is based on my observations (at close quarters) of my husband's merino biking shirts!

post #5 of 15

Also matches up with my observations of wool diaper covers! ;) I am a BIG fan of wool too! :) I haven't used wool nursing pads but I imagine they would be made out of extremely soft merino wool, right?

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snanna View Post

I gave some wool nursing pads to a friend a few years ago, and she loved them. I ordered some for myself this time around, but they turned out to be HUGE-- I'm sure I'll use them, but only for the immediate postpartum leaking. No way could I wear them under clothing.

 

The advantage of wool for nursing pads is that they are warm, don't stick to your nipples, are extremely absorbent, and naturally antibacterial. They dry odorless, and don't need to be laundered very often, just aired out. Very similar to the reasons wool diaper covers are so great. The wool they are made from is extremely soft, and not treated with chemicals that could cause skin reactions. They can also be "lanolized" which will contribute to their antibacterial and clean-drying properties. I love wool! Can you tell?

Where do you find them?  I would love to have some or knit some, heh.
 

 

post #7 of 15

OMG!!  I found a pattern.  Heh. http://ibirk.dk/pdf-filer/iBirk-Nursing-Pads.pdf

post #8 of 15

I agree - wool pads are great in theory but just not great in real life. If you don't want pads that show through your shirt, check out Bamboobies.  Everyone loves them on the forums etc... Wool pads are nowhere near as soft and show through shirts just terribly!  I was tempted too but they're not great for the long term... If you're going to spend some money, be sure to get pads that will work for a while....  

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by snanna View Post
The advantage of wool for nursing pads is that they are warm, don't stick to your nipples, are extremely absorbent, and naturally antibacterial. They dry odorless, and don't need to be laundered very often, just aired out. Very similar to the reasons wool diaper covers are so great. The wool they are made from is extremely soft, and not treated with chemicals that could cause skin reactions. They can also be "lanolized" which will contribute to their antibacterial and clean-drying properties. I love wool! Can you tell?

Quote:

Should also mention that in addition to being warm, wool nursing pads are also cool-- one of the many amazing qualities of wool. They also don't feel wet until very saturated. This knowledge is based on my observations (at close quarters) of my husband's merino biking shirts!

I love wool for all of those reasons! Last time I tried to make my own out of upcycled merino. They felt really good, but I am looking forward to a pair that fits!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post
Also matches up with my observations of wool diaper covers! ;) I am a BIG fan of wool too! :) I haven't used wool nursing pads but I imagine they would be made out of extremely soft merino wool, right?

Yes! Me too. I could not imagine scratchy wool. Yuck.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
OMG!!  I found a pattern.  Heh. http://ibirk.dk/pdf-filer/iBirk-Nursing-Pads.pdf

That is soo cool, Cathy! I wish I was a better knitter. I really need to get professional help with it I think winky.gif. I am really and truly BAD at it. Are you going to give it a try?

Quote:

Originally Posted by almostfullhouse View Post
I agree - wool pads are great in theory but just not great in real life. If you don't want pads that show through your shirt, check out Bamboobies.  Everyone loves them on the forums etc... Wool pads are nowhere near as soft and show through shirts just terribly!  I was tempted too but they're not great for the long term... If you're going to spend some money, be sure to get pads that will work for a while....  

Thanks for the link. In the name of full disclosure, are you the proprieter of that business? If so, I think you should include that when you tell people about them.
 

 

post #10 of 15

One thing that seems to come up consistently in guidelines for maintaining healthy skin-ecosystems while breastfeeding (avoiding thrush, etc.) is the idea that breathable, non-waterproof pads are best, and airflow is important. I did check out your link, almostfullhouse, but I think I probably wouldn't buy them due to the description of their "waterproof" qualities. I was also turned off by the "your nipples are sore!" statement on the website-- I hate to see the idea that breastfeeding is painful perpetuated unnecessarily.

 

cparkly, I went over to ebay and got a set of pads from the same seller, after you mentioned it! I think the huge ones I've got will be good for overnight (I'm betting they'll stay in place better than the folded newborn prefold I usually use....), and the little ones for day. I don't tend to leak much after the first few months, but it's nice to be covered for that interval. 

 

Farmer Cathy, I love the idea of knitting pads, but will I...? That pattern looks good though!

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfullhouse View Post

I agree - wool pads are great in theory but just not great in real life. If you don't want pads that show through your shirt, check out Bamboobies.  Everyone loves them on the forums etc... Wool pads are nowhere near as soft and show through shirts just terribly!  I was tempted too but they're not great for the long term... If you're going to spend some money, be sure to get pads that will work for a while....  



Do these keep the moisture from your skin? I found that the cloth pads left me feeling chaffed and sore and ended up using disposable ones!

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparkly View Post

That is soo cool, Cathy! I wish I was a better knitter. I really need to get professional help with it I think winky.gif. I am really and truly BAD at it. Are you going to give it a try?

I'm thinking about it though that pattern has a lot of math and my pregnancy brain just gets confused, I'm going to see if I can find an easier one on ravelry.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by snanna View Post

 

Farmer Cathy, I love the idea of knitting pads, but will I...? That pattern looks good though!

I knit a lot in church, I seem to listen better when I do, so I just might be able to get them done, though I have a few more longies and hats I want to make first.
 

 

post #13 of 15
When y'all get these eBay pads, PLEASE update as to what you think of the quality! I am so interested.

I decided I wanted some wool nursing pads this go round, and after looking around and gasping at how expensive most are I remember I had a pair of Luxe shorties that a friend borrowed and ruined by washing on the sani cycle and drying. They were too felted and misshapen to be used as a diaper cover, but I was able to cut two pair of nursing pads out of them! They aren't perfect because I am not at all crafty, but I think they will work.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post





Do these keep the moisture from your skin? I found that the cloth pads left me feeling chaffed and sore and ended up using disposable ones!


Wool is very wicking, and doesn't feel wet until really saturated, so I think that is one of the benefits, definitely. I found that the cotton ones worked fine if I changed them constantly, but then you have to have a million to make it through a wash cycle.

 

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 

I received them in the post yesterday. The came from Lithuania and the brown paper packaging had beautiful postage stamps on it thumb.gif...

 

Anyway, they seem well made. Soft, thin, organic wool, serged in a good circumference for me. I have not lanolized them yet. I have only tried them out with my jog bra, but they stayed put well and because they are thin, did not leave a large ring around the gigis (as DS my/his comfort-nursing breasts). They were much more comfortable and streamlined than the disposables or cotton pads that I tried in the past. At the price I paid I will not mind if I have to double them up for a few weeks. 

 

I hope that they work out well!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2011