Hi all, I am currently 4 1/2 weeks pregnant with #2. I am determined to have a VBAC this time and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make it happen. I've been looking at the posts here but could also use some ideas and references to help me make sure that I am my own advocate.
With my first pregnancy I ended up on a slippery slope of over-medicating. My previous ob-gyn had moved out of town and I needed to start with a new provider. I made a really bad choice! At 6 weeks a different doc couldn't find the heart beat and diagnosed me with an ectopic pregnancy and prescribed meds for a medical abortion. After a round of panic, I pointed out to her that maybe the dates were early and she checked again, all was fine. I then began seeing my ob. She insisted on another round of genetic testing bc my husband had been the likely carrier and my previous doc had him do some of the testing. New doc bossed me into getting all the tests done on me. At 12 weeks, I was diagnosed with a low lying placenta and likely placenta previa and categorized as high risk, and told to not have sex for the rest of pregnancy. From then on I went to a special facility once a month for u/s. For the gestational diabetes test I had eaten breakfast on my way to the appt (bc I didn't know it was that day) and my level was one point above low. She insisted I do the long test the next week, all was fine. At 32 weeks, DD was still breach (though the low lying placenta had moved) and from then on she pestered me into scheduling a c-section. She told me a version wouldn't work. I began to have stress induced high blood pressure and at that point she diagnosed me as hypertensive and insisted that I couldn't wait to see if the baby turned during labor. I was exhausted and stressed at that point and gave in to a scheduled c-section at 38w,6d. That in turn lead to trouble with breastfeeding (in addition to the stress and discomfort that you all are familiar with).
So, when I spell it out here. First I think "what an idiot I was, why didn't I take charge of my own health?" (the answer of course is that the doc succeeded in scaring me into thinking she was right). Second, I can see lots of things that I can change to improve my chances. My plans at this point are to see a midwife practice at a great hospital (I live in a different city now), they are very supportive of VBACs, avoid too early testing and excessive testing (the midwives don't even want to see anyone before 9 weeks), and do everything I can to control my anxiety and stress (and my blood pressure). I'm doing prenatal yoga with a great dvd and will try to look for a class later in pregnancy.
Beyond that though, what can I do? I have a super short torso and I'm afraid that I'm going to have breech babies every time (though I don't even know if it's related or just my imagination). I've been thinking about a doula but I'm a very private person and my husband and I are a great team so it's hard to envision wanting another person involved intimately in this whole thing. If it can help me avoid a c-section though... it would be worth it.
I have plenty of time to make things work, so please pass along some suggestions to get me on the right path. Thanks so much!