Our 6 month old son got a UTI when he was 3 months old (almost 4 months old). He had a fever and was very, very fussy. They put him on antibiotics for 10 days and then prophylaxis maintenance dose for 1 month. I do have to mention that he is uncircumsized. They did a renal ultrasound and his kidneys were fine.
During the treatment (about 10 days into prophylaxis), he got a viral fever and we rushed him to the hospital. They did a cath urine test/blood test to rule out UTI or any kind of infection. His urine was clean. There were no issues. We however continued the maintenance dose until he got his VCUG done.
We got the VCUG done on the 7th of June at a local hospital. They also did a cath urine test prior to the VCUG. They were unable to collect too much urine as he had just peed but they collected a little bit. The VCUG was completely clean. There was no reflux of any kind.
The doctor called us today (almost 10 days after the VCUG) and said that the urine collected during the VCUG showed some bacteria. She said it is not enough to signify an infection but it is not negligible either. She said that it fell in the grey zone. She said it could be contamination as there was a chance that the doctor who did the procedure might not have cleaned the area completely. Since he is uncircumsized some of the bacteria trapped in the skin might have contaminated the sample. They waited to tell us as they wanted to talk to the infectious diseases division of another hospital to get a second opinion.
She said that it was our call on whether to get another cath urine test done or not. We are completely bummed. The little guy has no fever and he seems to be fine. He is playing and does not seem to have any issues peeing. He gets a little fussy in the evening but we don't think it has anything to do with UTI as he is fine all through the day. In 5 months, he has had 2 cath urine tests, 2 blood tests, 2 series of shots and a VCUG. We would rather not subject him to another cath urine test. We want to wait as we feel he is fine but don't want to risk damaging his kidneys if he does have another infection. It just sucks that he has to go through so much.
What do you guys suggest? Has anyone gone through a similar experience?