I'm in the August DDC and haven't posted much elsewhere. But hello, all! I hope you can provide some advice.
My first pregnancy was a breeze and I'd planned a homebirth with a midwife but at 39 weeks my DD flipped breech and I was transferred from midwife care to an MD. Water broke before active labor. C-section. Healed quickly. Not signing-up for another surgery anytime soon, though.
This pregnancy (2 1/2 years later) I looked for midwife care for a homebirth but due to the scar on my uterus no one was able to see me. I interviewed some OBs but found them to be alarmist. Then I interviewed a wonderful family practitioner and decided upon her; not thrilled to be delivering at at hospital, but at least had a good provider.
Except that now that provider may transfer me from her care due to politics/guidelines in her clinic. Several weeks ago my gestational diabetes testing (the 3-hour) came back with two abnormal results (one just 3 points above normal. Without those 3 points I wouldn't be in this situation), thus diagnosing me with GD. I am rather certain that this is a mistake or at least I'm low low low on the continuum (all follow-up tests, A1C and my 6x daily glucose testing has all been fabulous, better than normal), but due to that 3-hour result my doctor is required by her clinic to either have me participate in what I would consider unnecessary interventions (ultrasounds to gauge baby's weight--pitocin induction if baby found to be approaching more than 8 lbs or going over 40 weeks--and weekly non-stress tests which are not only stressful for me but take me away from my office and reduce my earnings at a time I really really need the money).
If I refuse any of the interventions her clinic requires her to require of me, she must transfer me to High Risk OB at the hospital and the remainder of my care and birth would be managed by the surgeons there. I don't want a surgeon attending my birth!!
I trust my body. I believe it can birth on its own, scarred uterus or no. I've never really considered UC for myself before now, though. I had figured it might be something I'd do after I had at least one vaginal birth under my belt, but not really before that. I'm seriously considering it now, though.
Is it worrisome, in your minds, that I'm considering UC at this time? Reactionary? I just don't want those interventions, knowing they can lead to unnecessary alarm and induction (which, to a VBAC hopeful is very worrisome), I can't afford to take the time off that my family practitioner wants me to, and I am angry that if I refuse even one of the interventions (which would include induction at 40 weeks, of course, if I didn't birth before then) my care would be transferred. I don't want a surgeon at my VBAC because I know the chance of me getting that VBAC go down considerably with that type of management.