Some background: my DD is nearly 2. We have 2 fat, hairy Siamese cats that she has draped herself all over with no issue since birth. She also loves dogs and has petted/been licked by about 100 since birth - until 2 weeks ago when we went to a new friend's house, she got licked by their huge dog and then suddenly had a crazy allergic reaction. Giant hives, runny eyes and nose, itching, sneezing, coughing, etc. No breathing issues, so we gave her her first Benadryl (and a bath to de-dog) and went on our way. We've since seen a few dogs in our neighborhood with no incidence, but then today went to a friend's house with a dog we've seen a bunch of times. The *moment* we walked in the door she got a few hives on her face, then suddenly broke out everywhere and got all the other symptoms above - without even having been licked. There were 2 other big dogs visiting so the house was pretty full, but still, not even a single doggy pet did she give!
Our history: my husband is allergic to cats (he takes daily meds) and I am allergic to shellfish, so there is definitely a little tendency in our family. My DD had a bit of eczema in infancy, and her skin will get red/occasionally hive if acidic foods sit on her face too long (tomato sauce, etc), but we've never felt like she's "reacted" to any foods.
Anyway, I am totally new to this world of child-allergies and unsure how to proceed. The nurse at our ped office said to bring her in for an allergy blood test this week, but I've read they are possibly not as accurate as a skin-prick test, and I've seen all sorts of numbers out there as to which age is really "accurate" for testing (ie some people say not before 15 months, some say not before age 3!).
Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!