I'm going to try to make this as short as possible. After 2 years of HS'ing, ds (now 10) went back to school per his request. His adjustment was rocky - lots of anxiety - and after a few months, we decided to do some outside testing for a LD -- nothing significant turned up. The special ed team did testing, and it turns out that ds has significant speech and language delays - still. Big areas of deficit in receptive and expressive language. He had been in speech therapy from 3 years old, but his former school matriculated him out at the end of 1st grade. The recent results were a surprise (understatement) to the team and his teacher, and frankly, to us because he had been compensating pretty well. We received all the testing results at the beginning of May. Academically, he did well enough to pass this year even though his writing and reading comprehension testing was borderline passing.
The school social worker is concerned that because next year ds will be going to middle school and there is a different social dynamic, less supervision, and she's afraid that because of his deficits he'll be a target for subtle bullying or social exclusion, and this will cause more anxiety for ds. She feels that because he's the youngest boy in his class, that he could benefit from another year to work on his anxiety as well as speech therapy before he moves to middle school. (This would be a non-issue if he didn't have to move to middle school next year.) We've been assured that they would differentiate the curriculum to meet his academic needs - especially in math. The special ed team made no recommendation for retention - they've never seen a case like ds's and have left the decision up to us. He would receive the same services in his elementary school as he would in middle school. The difference is that the new school would be new as well as the entire teaching and services staff - and they don't know ds yet, and ds doesn't know them and there's always ramp up time. Hubby and I are really torn -- we see some advantages for retaining him now, and we see some advantages for moving him on and dealing with the IEP accommodations.
Any BTDT would be appreciated - or just commiseration -- It's a tough one.