or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering? - Page 6

post #101 of 112
Thread Starter 

I was folding DS's diapers and among them was an infant bath towel that I sometimes use to lay beneath DS on the carpet when I change his diaper. We must have about 12 infant bath towels and there's no way we could use them all, even with the new baby. Suddenly a light bulb went off and I thought: I could use some of these as flat diapers. Another thing I love to use as flats is receiving blankets.  They're very absorbent. 

post #102 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post Another thing I love to use as flats is receiving blankets.  They're very absorbent. 


And they are usually too small to be blankets after the first few weeks :) When I took my 'babysitting course' 20 years ago (gosh, that made me feel sort of old to type!) ... one of the skills we learned was how to fashion an emergency diaper from a tea towel. Also very absorbant, and sort of a cross between using a flat & a prefold, they aren't as square as flats, and aren't pre-folded.

 

Another thing that works really well for small babies is a face cloth -- a regular adult terry cloth one. They fold in thirds nicely and lay flat in a cover.

post #103 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post





And they are usually too small to be blankets after the first few weeks :) When I took my 'babysitting course' 20 years ago (gosh, that made me feel sort of old to type!) ... one of the skills we learned was how to fashion an emergency diaper from a tea towel. Also very absorbant, and sort of a cross between using a flat & a prefold, they aren't as square as flats, and aren't pre-folded.

 

Another thing that works really well for small babies is a face cloth -- a regular adult terry cloth one. They fold in thirds nicely and lay flat in a cover.



I never would have thought of using a face cloth on a small baby, but it makes sense.

post #104 of 112

I have a few that I used as backups when out and about.  there's just not enough room in the diaper bag to put extra soakers or PUL covers, so we tuck two of the Gerber plastic covers in the bottom in case of a blowout.

post #105 of 112

Can anyone explain the prefold sizing?  I want to have some on hand... Eventhough a lot of the diapers I just bought have the "special inserts"  I did get some plain covers too but idk what sizes to get?  Esp since there seem to be sizes that are almost the same as other sizes but with different names... Like, "premium" what's the difference really? 

 

http://clothdiaperclearance.com/catalog.php?category=458

This is the sizing chart I was looking at

 

http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/SPECIAL-OFFERS/Indian-Cotton-Prefolds-Factory-Seconds-Bleached_2

And this is where I was thinking about purchasing the diapers because it looks like the have the best prices...

 

 

 

Also, can any mom's tell me if I am going completely overboard?  Bc I really might be...

 

I have mostly bio paper diapers for NB and some in size 1. 

2 gDiapers in size small.

2 GroVia with Cloth soakers (One Size)

3 Diaper covers (one size), can't remember what kind...

2 Small AIOs (at least one is DreamEz)

6 Bluberry Pocket Diapers (One Size) I ordered today at www.babysteals.com (There are still some left if you hurry!!!!)

 

Thanks!!!!

 

post #106 of 112

Also can  you use a prefold as an insert?  Of do you really have to buy each diapers actual product insert?

post #107 of 112

For a young baby (say under six months or a year, depending on how big your baby is) you would want the infant-sized.  We used them for the first year.   Premium-sized, IME, works best from about one year on, but again it depends on how tall/chunky the baby is.  I personally wouldn't spend money on the newborn size because most babies outgrow them extremely fast, but they always make great rags/burp cloths/puddle pads.  Keeping a few in the diaper bag is great for outings because it seems like there is always something that needs wiping up!

It looks like the difference between "standard regular" and "premium" is about 1/2 an inch so that doesn't seem to matter too much.  However, I would recommend springing for the 4x8x4---that extra quilting in the middle will help a lot with the absorbency.  HTH!

As to your diaper stash, I don't think you can have too many diapers, but that's coming from fluff addict, so. . . whistling.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inali View Post

Can anyone explain the prefold sizing?  I want to have some on hand... Eventhough a lot of the diapers I just bought have the "special inserts"  I did get some plain covers too but idk what sizes to get?  Esp since there seem to be sizes that are almost the same as other sizes but with different names... Like, "premium" what's the difference really? 

 

http://clothdiaperclearance.com/catalog.php?category=458

This is the sizing chart I was looking at

 

http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/SPECIAL-OFFERS/Indian-Cotton-Prefolds-Factory-Seconds-Bleached_2

And this is where I was thinking about purchasing the diapers because it looks like the have the best prices...

 

 

 

Also, can any mom's tell me if I am going completely overboard?  Bc I really might be...

 

I have mostly bio paper diapers for NB and some in size 1. 

2 gDiapers in size small.

2 GroVia with Cloth soakers (One Size)

3 Diaper covers (one size), can't remember what kind...

2 Small AIOs (at least one is DreamEz)

6 Bluberry Pocket Diapers (One Size) I ordered today at www.babysteals.com (There are still some left if you hurry!!!!)

 

Thanks!!!!

 



 

post #108 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inali View Post


 

 

Also, can any mom's tell me if I am going completely overboard?  Bc I really might be...

 

I have mostly bio paper diapers for NB and some in size 1. 

2 gDiapers in size small.

2 GroVia with Cloth soakers (One Size)

3 Diaper covers (one size), can't remember what kind...

2 Small AIOs (at least one is DreamEz)

6 Bluberry Pocket Diapers (One Size) I ordered today at www.babysteals.com (There are still some left if you hurry!!!!)

 

Thanks!!!!

 

12 diapers  + 3 covers is totally not going overboard ... that's barely a days worth of diapers :) Newborns go through a lot of diapers -- I like to have at least 12 per day, and 3 days worth at a minimum! :) You've got a long way to go before you hit 'overboard'!
 

 

post #109 of 112

Thanks!  That helps :-)

post #110 of 112

I used Seventh gen disposables with DS, and want to try CDing this time around, but I'm a bit clueless on what I need.  Does this seem like a good deal or a lot of unnecessary items?

 

 

http://www.snootybootydiapers.com/catalog/bummis-packages-and-volume-discounts/bummis-cloth-diapering-kit-177.html 

post #111 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama579 View Post

I used Seventh gen disposables with DS, and want to try CDing this time around, but I'm a bit clueless on what I need.  Does this seem like a good deal or a lot of unnecessary items?

 

 

http://www.snootybootydiapers.com/catalog/bummis-packages-and-volume-discounts/bummis-cloth-diapering-kit-177.html 



It seems pretty well rounded, the disposable liners might be 'overkill' at first, as BF baby poop washes off really well, but if you save those for when you start solids -- that's when you'll really want them!

 

That would be enough to get through about 2 days before having to wash with most newborns, if it were me, I'd probably 'top up' the kit with a few other styles of diapers just to have on hand for those who are scared of prefolds (dad, grandmas, friends etc.), and to take the total closer to 36 for 3 days between laundry! Other than that, a small wetbag or two for the diaper bag, and you should be set.

 

OH! I didn't see snappis on there ... or pins. You'll likely want something to secure the diapers. You can just lay them in the covers, but I found we got much better poop-explosion-containment if we used both a Snappi & the cover to keep that diaper in place!

post #112 of 112


Check out Green Mountain Diapers' website... it explains a lot :) http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/newmom.htm

 They have many different prefold sizes that fit better in the covers.  And no, you don't have to use each diaper company's insert. Heck, you can throw a receiving blanket or a dishrag in a cover and call it a diaper! Anything that absorbs! 

 

There are so many options with cloth, the hardest part is figuring out what you prefer and what to buy in the beginning.  I would say 3 or 4 dozen diapers and 12 covers would be more like what you'd want with a new baby.  Oh, and a wool cover and hemp doublers for overnight!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inali View Post

Can anyone explain the prefold sizing?  I want to have some on hand... Eventhough a lot of the diapers I just bought have the "special inserts"  I did get some plain covers too but idk what sizes to get?  Esp since there seem to be sizes that are almost the same as other sizes but with different names... Like, "premium" what's the difference really? 

 

http://clothdiaperclearance.com/catalog.php?category=458

This is the sizing chart I was looking at

 

http://www.clothdiaper.com/PRODUCTS/SPECIAL-OFFERS/Indian-Cotton-Prefolds-Factory-Seconds-Bleached_2

And this is where I was thinking about purchasing the diapers because it looks like the have the best prices...

 

 

 

Also, can any mom's tell me if I am going completely overboard?  Bc I really might be...

 

I have mostly bio paper diapers for NB and some in size 1. 

2 gDiapers in size small.

2 GroVia with Cloth soakers (One Size)

3 Diaper covers (one size), can't remember what kind...

2 Small AIOs (at least one is DreamEz)

6 Bluberry Pocket Diapers (One Size) I ordered today at www.babysteals.com (There are still some left if you hurry!!!!)

 

Thanks!!!!

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering?