or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering? - Page 2

post #21 of 112
Ddcc.

We are going super cheap. Spent less than 50 dollars with the first for the first year. Spent 25 more bucks on fitters that fit poorly. Spent 10 more when the second was born. I have since passed on all my old dipes. I recently made an entire stash for a friend for $30.

I'm a big fan of flats made from thrift store flannel sheets. Or cut up old towels. It's usually $ 3-4 for a dozen. I am making some pull up covers and longies for cute but I have been plenty happy with tie on fleece covers. All made from thrift fleece or wool. I may knit a couple of wool soakers because I was given some wool yarn (tho I suppose I could unravel a thrift store sweater) and I have time.

Good luck finding the best solution for you. I totally agree about cost being a huge advantage of cloth. Because mine are so cheap, I think I should put a quarter in a jar every diaper change and have a nice college fund. We also do EC which I think works beautifully with flats.
post #22 of 112

I see threads like this all of the time and really wish that I could sew!  I know I end up spending way too much on diapers...all cause I can't sew anything myself.  Oh well.  Helping out other wahm's isn't the worst way to spend my money I figure.

post #23 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I see threads like this all of the time and really wish that I could sew!  I know I end up spending way too much on diapers...all cause I can't sew anything myself.  Oh well.  Helping out other wahm's isn't the worst way to spend my money I figure.



:) Trade skills with someone who can sew! I can't knit, so I swap sewing for knitting all the time.

 

My sister & I also trade sewing for baking. I hate to bake, she's good at it & enjoys it ... She just asked me to fix elastic in several of her pocket dipes, and I'm looking forward to the payment :)

post #24 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

We're going cheap, too---especially since we have so much leftover from before.  (Which was mostly prefolds and covers that I found on sale in various places.)  

My most exciting purchase so far for this baby was 20 Motherease one-size diapers and 10 Thirsties covers (in beautiful shape) on Craigslist.  Grand total:  $30.  orngbiggrin.gif

I love reading about all the deals that people have gotten!  We have saved so much money over the years by using cloth diapers, not to mention at least two tons of trash from going in the landfill.  Love it!  

 

Wow, that is one of the best CD deals I've ever heard! Good on ya!!!
 

 

post #25 of 112


I know. . . I saw the post, noticed that it was a couple of hours old, but decided to try responding anyway (thinking there was no way that it was still available) and I got it!  They came with eight snap-in doublers, too.  I almost felt guilty about paying so little for so much.  Almost! winky.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistryClass View Post

 

Wow, that is one of the best CD deals I've ever heard! Good on ya!!!
 

 



 

post #26 of 112



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

Money was really tight when we had DS, so we went with the really cheap Gerber Premium Prefolds (4 dozen) 3 snappi fasteners and 3 Econobum one size covers. We later added 3 more Econobum covers, 3 more snappi fasteners and 1 dozen Econobum prefolds. I have to admit I never use the thicker Econobum prefolds, as the Gerber ones work so well for us. When DS was about 8 or 9 months we added a few pocket diapers for using over night, as he will sleep for 12 hours straight most nights.

 

Cost for us

 

Gerber Prefolds approx $60 for 4 dozen (using a Target gift card, so nothing to us)

3 Snappi fastners & 3 Econobum covers from Cotton Babies approx $30 (if I remember correctly)

 

initial set up cost $90 (or there about)

 

Additional prefolds, covers & fasteners approx $50

 

5 Pocket Diapers approximately $80

 

Total we have spent in 13 months of cloth diapering $220, and we don't even use everything we have.

 

This time around I'm making some extra newborn sized diapers so we don't have to use any disposables, all made from recycled fabric (mostly old clothes)

 

I'm also knitting wool soakers, and got the wool for less than $2 a ball and 1 ball makes a newborn size soaker with wool to spare, so the cost for these is minimal.

 



Um i love love love all this info but I dont know what some of these things are :-(

-Snappi fastners (and how do you use them)

-Pocket Diapers  (diffe(difdieeed(different from what other diapers and how?)

-wool soakers (you just knit what looks like a maxi pad? and that goes between the prefold and diaper cover?  Or am I way off?)

 

Like many other first timers, I'm so terribly confused about all the options!  Logistically and monitarily...

 

post #27 of 112

Hey----I just got an email that The Natural Baby Co. has a bunch of stuff on clearance!  I really liked their one-size Wonder Wraps.  They're super durable and on clearance for $4 each!!

https://www.thenaturalbabyco.com/

post #28 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

Hey----I just got an email that The Natural Baby Co. has a bunch of stuff on clearance!  I really liked their one-size Wonder Wraps.  They're super durable and on clearance for $4 each!!

https://www.thenaturalbabyco.com/



Oh my goodness, I just splurged! I ordered (gulp) 15 of the Wonder Wraps. My 17 month old DS is at the very beginning stages of potty learning, but I know with the new babe coming, there is a chance he may regress. I expect him to be in diapers a while longer. I'm hoping that these will last through both babes if I take good care of the covers. I also got some wet bags that I've really wanted but couldn't afford. I couldn't turn down $3 apiece. And, well, I got the new babe 15 Indian prefolds in the Infant (7-15 lb) size. And I got DS several of the next size up. These weren't on clearance, but I needed them, anyway, so I figured with free shipping I should just go ahead and buy them now.

 

Thank you so much for passing on this info!

post #29 of 112


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inali View Post

Um i love love love all this info but I dont know what some of these things are :-(

-Snappi fastners (and how do you use them)

-Pocket Diapers  (diffe(difdieeed(different from what other diapers and how?)

-wool soakers (you just knit what looks like a maxi pad? and that goes between the prefold and diaper cover?  Or am I way off?)

 

Like many other first timers, I'm so terribly confused about all the options!  Logistically and monitarily...


These are Snappi Fasteners.  They're little plastic 3 prong fasteners that have little teeth in them that hook into your prefold/folded flat to keep it closed and in place properly.  I use them a lot on DS if he's running around in just a prefold and sans cover (which we do sometimes if he's got a rash, or if he's already pooped several times in the day).  They're basically used in place of traditional diaper pins.  If you're using a velcro or snapping cover over your prefold/flat, they're not really necessary, as the cover will hold the prefold/flat in place.  But if you're using a pull-up cover, or if you want the freedom to just put on a prefold, then they're really handy to have.  They go on more quickly than pins, in my opinion.  Our three pack saw about a year of use before the Snappis needed replacing.

 

These are pocket diapers (or a popular brand of them, anyway).  Instead of putting on an absorbent layer, and then a cover over it, the absorbent layer is stuffed inside, and the whole shebang is put in the kiddo.  They're a more expensive option that prefolds/flats and covers.  A lot of mamas like them better because they go on so conveniently, especially on squirmy toddlers.  And they have microfleece against baby's skin, which acts as a wicking layer (baby feels dry longer).  In my experience, they don't hold up as well and are a pain in the butt to launder.  And they cost more.  Still less than disposables by a long shot, but I actually prefer the cover/prefold option myself.  Many mamas prefer the pockets.  They're just a different option, and probably not ideal if you're looking to diaper on the cheap.

 

I haven't used wool at all, so my explanation there is probably not the best shy.gif

post #30 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

Hey----I just got an email that The Natural Baby Co. has a bunch of stuff on clearance!  I really liked their one-size Wonder Wraps.  They're super durable and on clearance for $4 each!!

https://www.thenaturalbabyco.com/


Awesome thanks!  I can try some different ones out!  :-)
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post


 


These are Snappi Fasteners.  They're little plastic 3 prong fasteners that have little teeth in them that hook into your prefold/folded flat to keep it closed and in place properly.  I use them a lot on DS if he's running around in just a prefold and sans cover (which we do sometimes if he's got a rash, or if he's already pooped several times in the day).  They're basically used in place of traditional diaper pins.  If you're using a velcro or snapping cover over your prefold/flat, they're not really necessary, as the cover will hold the prefold/flat in place.  But if you're using a pull-up cover, or if you want the freedom to just put on a prefold, then they're really handy to have.  They go on more quickly than pins, in my opinion.  Our three pack saw about a year of use before the Snappis needed replacing.

 

These are pocket diapers (or a popular brand of them, anyway).  Instead of putting on an absorbent layer, and then a cover over it, the absorbent layer is stuffed inside, and the whole shebang is put in the kiddo.  They're a more expensive option that prefolds/flats and covers.  A lot of mamas like them better because they go on so conveniently, especially on squirmy toddlers.  And they have microfleece against baby's skin, which acts as a wicking layer (baby feels dry longer).  In my experience, they don't hold up as well and are a pain in the butt to launder.  And they cost more.  Still less than disposables by a long shot, but I actually prefer the cover/prefold option myself.  Many mamas prefer the pockets.  They're just a different option, and probably not ideal if you're looking to diaper on the cheap.

 

I haven't used wool at all, so my explanation there is probably not the best shy.gif



Thanks for the explanations, that totally helps, a lot.

 



 

post #31 of 112


You're welcome!  I could only justify getting four of the WonderWraps. . . I still have about five that are in decent shape after three years of heavy use.  I usually like snap covers, but the Aplix on these is crazy strong and wide and just holds so well.  And the rise on them adjusts nicely.  Also, their travel sized wetbags are great---I liked them better than the small Bummis travel bag, because the Bummis one is so narrow that it's hard to get anything in it.  Natural Baby Co. wetbags are nice and wide and hold a bunch of stuff for a day out!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post



Oh my goodness, I just splurged! I ordered (gulp) 15 of the Wonder Wraps. My 17 month old DS is at the very beginning stages of potty learning, but I know with the new babe coming, there is a chance he may regress. I expect him to be in diapers a while longer. I'm hoping that these will last through both babes if I take good care of the covers. I also got some wet bags that I've really wanted but couldn't afford. I couldn't turn down $3 apiece. And, well, I got the new babe 15 Indian prefolds in the Infant (7-15 lb) size. And I got DS several of the next size up. These weren't on clearance, but I needed them, anyway, so I figured with free shipping I should just go ahead and buy them now.

 

Thank you so much for passing on this info!



 

post #32 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post


You're welcome!  I could only justify getting four of the WonderWraps. . . I still have about five that are in decent shape after three years of heavy use.  I usually like snap covers, but the Aplix on these is crazy strong and wide and just holds so well.  And the rise on them adjusts nicely.  Also, their travel sized wetbags are great---I liked them better than the small Bummis travel bag, because the Bummis one is so narrow that it's hard to get anything in it.  Natural Baby Co. wetbags are nice and wide and hold a bunch of stuff for a day out!
 



 


Honestly, for $4 each, they're hardly more than nylon Dappi covers, and the Dappis need to be replaced for larger sizes. How does the velcro hold up on these? It's my one reservation, as I'm not a fan of velcro, but for the price I couldn't turn them down. I've read some very good things about them online. I may have gone overboard purchasing 15 of them, but I will have 2 in diapers and plan to have a 3rd child at some point. I'm very impressed that your 5 have held up for 3 years! And I'm super excited because I didn't think I could afford cute covers. I love that these are one-size!

 

Thanks again for passing the info on!

 

post #33 of 112

The Aplix on mine is in very good shape after 3 years in heavy rotation.  As long as you use the laundry tabs, I think it will last for pretty much ever!  (It's been way sturdier than Bummis IME.)  

post #34 of 112
Thread Starter 


I just wanted to say that I prefer the snappis, but I think it's because I have an unrealistic fear that I will poke my baby with the diaper pin. The pins, though, would be less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inali View Post



 



Um i love love love all this info but I dont know what some of these things are :-(

-Snappi fastners (and how do you use them)

-Pocket Diapers  (diffe(difdieeed(different from what other diapers and how?)

-wool soakers (you just knit what looks like a maxi pad? and that goes between the prefold and diaper cover?  Or am I way off?)

 

Like many other first timers, I'm so terribly confused about all the options!  Logistically and monitarily...

 



 

post #35 of 112


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

Hey----I just got an email that The Natural Baby Co. has a bunch of stuff on clearance!  I really liked their one-size Wonder Wraps.  They're super durable and on clearance for $4 each!!

https://www.thenaturalbabyco.com/



Thanks for the heads up! I just got two. What a great price!

post #36 of 112


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inali View Post



 



Um i love love love all this info but I dont know what some of these things are :-(

-Snappi fastners (and how do you use them)

-Pocket Diapers  (diffe(difdieeed(different from what other diapers and how?)

-wool soakers (you just knit what looks like a maxi pad? and that goes between the prefold and diaper cover?  Or am I way off?)

 

Like many other first timers, I'm so terribly confused about all the options!  Logistically and monitarily...

 


Wool Soakers are like covers. They go over the cloth diaper. However they are NOT waterproof like the PUL covers. Instead they absorb the wetness without leaking it out onto the clothes. The important thing about wool soakers is that they have to be real wool (not just knitting yarn which in most places is acrylic), you have to keep them lanolized (thats the oil that occurs naturally in wool and what makes the wool work) and really they need to be handwashed and dried flat, although they only need washed about once a month unless they get soiled. They are a natural alternative to covers, and let the skin breathe. Also real wool will keep you warm in the cold and cool in the heat.

 

I do have to buy the wool online to get it at such a cheap price, as in stores real wool is pretty expensive. But I've also seen premade wool soakers sell for anywhere between $20 and $45 a piece, so even the more expensive store wool would be cheaper than buying premade.

 

I'll be using both wool soakers and PUL covers at different times with this new baby. I never got around to making any for DS so he is used to just the PUL covers, and since we plan to start potting training him about 3-4 months after this baby is born I don't see a need to get him used to something new by introducing wool soakers.

 

post #37 of 112

DDCC. I bought 36 Bumgenius 3.0's for DS and I liked them. But the velcro's have been a real headache. I own one Alvababy, looks a lot like the Sunbaby posted. So far it's been awesome. Bit harder to stuff because of the position of the elastic but I think that's worth it for saving me from the velcro headache. 4 bucks a peice vs 20. You do the math.

post #38 of 112



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I remember wanting to cloth diaper my DS, but putting it off for a few months because everything seemed so expensive, even used. At least they were out of my budget. Back then I posted a thread in the diapering forum about cloth diapering inexpensively. I know the idea is that you will save over the long run by not having to purchase disposables and that cloth diapers have a good resale value, but I think it's the initial investment that I find to be overwhelming. I think they're super duper cute and great for people who can afford them. But for the rest of us?

 

Mamas recommended diaper service quality prefolds or flats and some super inexpensive Dappi covers. (We're talking $2-2.50 each.) I use cloth wipes. I actually bought some online, but they frayed very quickly and the ones that didn't are just super small. I find that my favorite cloth wipe is just a simple wash cloth, so I bought a huge pack of them for $4 to use for that purpose. And, honestly, I don't mind going cheap at all. Sure, my DS's diapers aren't cute, but they're functional and going cheap enables me to cloth diaper.

 

I replied to a thread recently where someone was questioning flats, and I was reminded that the only diaper threads I've seen were for the ones (super cute) that I can't afford. I'm very happy for those who can, of course. But is anyone else here with me? innocent.gif


DDCC- whis my first we had no washer and dryer- we bought flannel sheets at the second hand store and cut them into squares....got the measurements for the squares by googling.

 

I zigzaged the edges and washed them in the tub....awesome!!! also made wool sweater covers....actually- I did not know how to sew do dh made the first diaper ;)

dadmakingKiansfirstdiaper.jpg

 

eta: just saw the pic...been awhile- I forgot...no zigzag on machine folded edges and sewed
 

 

post #39 of 112

Yeah, pocket is a bit more.  If it was just me, I would use covers and prefolds, but Hubby has never changed a diaper before, let alone cloth, and he was about to run screaming for the hills!  Pockets were a good compromise, if we get them for my shower.  If I end up making covers, he'll just have to deal.

post #40 of 112

You know, my DH had never changed a diaper before our first was born, and he was also intimidated. . . but as soon as he learned how much money we'd save if we did cloth, he was on board 100%   orngbiggrin.gif    We did prefolds and covers and he was a very quick study.   Really, it's just as easy as a disposable once you're used to it!  It just takes a few tries for most people.  Anyway, now my DH preaches the virtues of cloth to all the expectant parents he knows at his job, and he's an old pro and putting on a prefold.  (Flats might be another story.  We'll see!)  lol.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering?