or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2011 › Anyone freezing postpartum pads?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone freezing postpartum pads?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
What's better to put in them, sitz bath tea, or witch hazel?

And how much liquid do you pour on each one so that it's effectively soothing but doesn't get too soggy as it thaws?
post #2 of 11

I'm going to do witch hazel.  From what I've read it's best to do a light amount of liquid, but less for the soggy and more for the comfort (if it's drenched in liquid it will be rock hard and not comfy).  My midwife also recommended filling a condom with one part alcohol, two parts water - tie that off and put it inside another condom and tie it...That is soothing and form fitting and it stays super cold and slushy.  If I had condoms I think I'd do that too.

post #3 of 11

I have two frozen pads with witch hazel for after the birth. Anyone who goes in my freezer must think I am odd :)

post #4 of 11

Are all of you using cloth pads? I ordered some of those insta freeze pads but my midwife doesn't like to use cold (she prefers heat at first) and I only ever ended up using a frozen pad after one birth ( and didn't even need it). With my first birth (the twins) I had loads of swelling and couldn't sit for over 10 days (7.8 pound posterior born babies) and was miserable so for my next birth I got a few frozen pads but never swelled or felt the need to use them. I know my baby this time has a pretty sizable head/body and I'm preparing myself so maybe I will get some witch hazel and cloth pads.

post #5 of 11

I got a stash of cloth pads from Etsy and then a sitz spray - Motherlove Herbal Spray. I was going to spray the pads n' put them in the freezer. But I've never done this before so I'm not sure if that's how it works.

 

This spray has: witch hazel leaf, yarrow, uva ursi, lavender essential oil, grapefruit essential oil, distilled water, grain

post #6 of 11

I've always just used disposable pads for the frozen ones but I don't see why cloth would a problem at all. I make up some sitz bath herbs and soak the pads in the liquid then squeeze out enough so that they are not dripping. I freeze them in the bottom of a mixing bowl so that they get a bit of a rounded shape to them. They are a bit hard just to begin with but do fit the shape of my body ok. Then as they thaw a bit it gets perfect. If you a freezing several, stack them with plastic wrap in between them so they don't stick together - if using cloth, it might not be a problem.

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
For you experienced pad-freezers, how many is a good number to freeze?
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post

For you experienced pad-freezers, how many is a good number to freeze?


Are you using them for swelling (I swear by using arnica a few weeks before due date- I've never swelled and my last 3 births I told midwife right after it didn't even feel like I had a baby and my last boy had a 15 inch head)? I guess you want enough for 24 hours? As I said I ordered some of those insta freeze PP pads and I think I have maybe 5 or so - maybe 8 or so is a good number to have on hand. If nothing else for me at least they will feel good in this hot weather!

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post





Are you using them for swelling (I swear by using arnica a few weeks before due date- I've never swelled and my last 3 births I told midwife right after it didn't even feel like I had a baby and my last boy had a 15 inch head)? I guess you want enough for 24 hours? As I said I ordered some of those insta freeze PP pads and I think I have maybe 5 or so - maybe 8 or so is a good number to have on hand. If nothing else for me at least they will feel good in this hot weather!


How do you use arnica before due date?

 

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post




How do you use arnica before due date?

 


I've already started (I started at 36 weeks or so) and I use it once or twice daily- a few Boiron pellets- I use a 200 ck dose. I also use this for about a week following birth. I should correct and say I've never swelled after that first twin birth- and for all subsequent births took arnica beforehand. Also I feel waterbirthing reduces likelihood of swelling.

 

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post




I've already started (I started at 36 weeks or so) and I use it once or twice daily- a few Boiron pellets- I use a 200 ck dose. I also use this for about a week following birth. I should correct and say I've never swelled after that first twin birth- and for all subsequent births took arnica beforehand. Also I feel waterbirthing reduces likelihood of swelling.

 

 

Thanks for the info!
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2011 › Anyone freezing postpartum pads?