or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Today's the day! - Page 3

post #41 of 54

Hey, Was she just a day shy of her Due Date? Neat!!!

post #42 of 54
Thread Starter 

She was determined to be a July baby but did indeed come the day before her due date!


So far babymooning is going great. I did not anticipate being as physically tired and worn out as I am, so being able to stay in bed with all the help my DH is giving is a blessing. Eliza is happy to be in arms and attached to a boob about 90% of the time, the rest of the time she's happy sleeping next to me. She's definitely more content to be in-arms, we tried out the Moby today while I gave DH a haircut and she loved it. She has a small tongue tie and possibly a lip tie that we picked up when she was born, so I have to be vigilant about her latch but so far she's had lots of pees and poops and my milk should be in tonight or tomorrow from the looks of things. Tomorrow I have my three day post-partum visit and should get my placenta pills so I'm looking forward to seeing how those work out. I still need to work on the long version of my birth story, hopefully today at some point.


The babies are going to start arriving soon, I'm so excited to start reading all the birth stories!

post #43 of 54
Thread Starter 

More newborn photos:







post #44 of 54

Ahh the smile on your son's face is AMAZING :)

post #45 of 54
Thread Starter 

She made a really funny face at them and they were so amused by it. The best part of it all is watching them fall in love with each other, the gift of a sibling is priceless.

post #46 of 54
Thread Starter 

Birth story!


Eliza Kate joined us on July 1st, just a day short of her due date. She weighed 8lbs. 5oz. and was 21 inches long, a full pound and inch bigger than my other babies.

I woke up on June 30th and my intuition was telling me that the birth was very close. I had a few contractions early in the morning while in bed with my daughter, not very different from the past few weeks. During the day I felt a lot of shifting and pressure as she engaged lower in my pelvis. We concentrated on last minute preparations in anticipation of her birth. By the evening, I felt very strongly that she would be born the next day and even joked about waking up in labor.

I woke up at 4:30am on the 1st with a backache and knew it was time. After going to the bathroom and laying down in bed my contractions started, so after about 30 minutes I woke my husband to let him know that we’d be having a baby today. After a quick check I found myself to be about 6cm, much of the work had been done in my sleep. We made our way downstairs and ate a light breakfast while we waited for the children to get up. I felt like my contractions were really inconsistent and didn’t feel that she was making much progress with putting enough pressure on my cervix. I laid down for about 20 minutes around 6am and then had to throw up, something I’ve never experienced while in labor before. I also had bloody show. I called my midwife to give her a head’s up.  Around 7am I took a nap on the couch for about an hour. I called my midwife to let her know how things were going and with some extra energy we decided to take a quick walk to see if that would help things pick up.

After going for our walk, my midwife let me know she was on her way shortly before 10am and I worked on doing some squats while waiting for her. We decided to go up and get the birth pool ready and as I made my way up the stairs my midwife arrived with her three assistants. She did a few contractions on the stairs with me and helped out with counter-pressure because I was having a lot of pain in my back.

After we made our way to the bedroom, she did a quick check and found me at 8cm. I wasn’t totally convinced that I had progressed so quickly because I didn’t feel like I had done much work yet. We did a few more contractions alternating with me squatting while hanging off the end of the bed and holding onto my midwife’s legs as she sat on the bed, and with an assistant applying pressure to my back as well as using the birth stool. That seemed to help her move down more into my pelvis and I dilated to 10cm fairy quickly. I was still able to maintain my sense of humor through it all.

The children were in and out and helped fill up the birth pool. Having the extra assistants on hand helped keep them occupied, but they were still able to witness much of my labor. Once the pool was filled I got in and still felt like her head was too high. In my mind, I kept going back to my daughter’s precipitous birth and was hoping that my body would again do the work of bringing her down and birthing her quickly for me so I didn’t have to do the work. I also kept going back to the 2 awful hours of pushing that I had with my son and not wanting to re-experience that, so I decided to be stubborn for a while and not push at all. I knew this baby was bigger and that she would likely need a little more help coming down far enough to trigger my pushing reflex.

After battling it out in my head and going through a few exceptionally painful contractions, I knew I had to stop being my own obstacle and that I needed to push through the fear and apprehension and stubbornness in order to bring her into the world. I was either going to hurt forever, or I was going to push. I knew if I gave one hard push, my water would break and she would be there in moments. I was right. After pulling up into a squat and roaring through about 9 minutes of pushing, she was here at last. Despite the best efforts of my midwife and assistants, I couldn’t pace myself through crowning and just wanted it over with and tore slightly in the same spot as I did with my daughter. They were amused and delighted that I felt comfortable enough to shush them while I was pushing.

My husband and I had the honor of catching her, something incredibly special since he missed the birth of our first daughter due to deployment. He was also able to announce that our baby was a girl since we chose to keep it a surprise as we did with our other children. After getting out of the tub, I birthed the placenta in about 20 minutes and our son was given the job of cord cutter. I am so pleased that they were able to witness the birth of their sister, I know this experience will shape their future perceptions of birth.

I have had three very different births, and while this labor was a fairly easy one I found it to be monumentally challenging to overcome the mental obstacles that my other births presented for me when it came to pushing. Unlike my son’s birth, I don’t feel traumatized by any of it but I do feel humbled. I felt far more conscious and aware than I have in my other births and that made a big difference in my perception of everything. I had to get out of my own way and surrender to the process once I realized there wasn’t an easy way out. Each birth has presented its own unique wall for me to scale and I’m proud to have done it once again, and I’m overjoyed to have this new little girl join our family.

post #47 of 54

So beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :)

post #48 of 54

Congrats! All of your children are so adorable! 

post #49 of 54

Aw- she is so beautiful as are rest of your children- thanks for sharing birth story- wonderful!

post #50 of 54

What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing! 

post #51 of 54

So beautiful made me tear up--congrats!

post #52 of 54

Thank you for your story! It made me realize once again that all of them present their own challenges and that no one gets out without surrendering one way or the other!

post #53 of 54

Lovely story!  Thanks for sharing.  I love the involvement of your children with your daughters arrival, and your sentiment about their perception of birth.  It brought tears to my eyes.  love.gif

post #54 of 54

I love your birth story!  Very inspiring!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2011