or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

July! Alaska Chat

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Happy 4th of July Eveyone!

 

I'm also bumping up my ICAN thread.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1319665/ican-alaska-letter-writting-campaign

post #2 of 20

Yay, happy 4th! Anybody else at the parade today? I was a little disappointed they didn't throw any candy... I suppose everywhere else I've ever been to a parade that was a major component so I'm surprised it wasn't that way in Anchorage too! Nice parade though, and nice weather for the duration of the parade. We messed around on the Park Strip a little bit afterwards too.

 

On a different topic: I'm wondering if anybody here is interested in participating in a weekly hiking thing? I love hiking but don't really want to hike alone on the trails with my 6 kids. I already participate in a parents/kids hiking group on Thursdays but I was thinking Monday or Fridays... doesn't have to be high-key schedule or anything. Just wondering if anyone else is interested. :)

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 

I have been IN a few Anchorage Parades before and it's not allowed to throw candy. The floats can HAND OUT candy though but it's a pain so most don't do that. I guess someone got their panties in a wad over being hit with candy or having children run into the street to get the candy.    It's fairly disappointing but I suppose after last months' Parade Tragedy, there will never been candy thrown in Anchorage parades.  :(  We're lucky to even have a parade with the people running this town.

post #4 of 20

I didn't realize last month's pedestrian death had anything to do with anything other than an elderly driver hitting the accelerator instead of the brake :(

 

One float tried to give out stuff and a parade organizer ran up and stopped them. Seemed pretty... I dunno, overplanned on that front. I suppose something must've happened or too many people complained. I can see where the city just wouldn't want to deal with it I guess...

post #5 of 20


A few years ago a number of children were run over & killed trying to pick up candy that had been tossed out at parades, in various places across the country. If I remember it was something like 5 dead in one day, probably a July 4th, and several injured. Since then most cities do not allow throwing anything at parades.

Out here at the Wasilla 4th of July parade & the Colony Days parades in Palmer they do pass out a ton of candy, but are not allowed to throw it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

I have been IN a few Anchorage Parades before and it's not allowed to throw candy. The floats can HAND OUT candy though but it's a pain so most don't do that. I guess someone got their panties in a wad over being hit with candy or having children run into the street to get the candy.    It's fairly disappointing but I suppose after last months' Parade Tragedy, there will never been candy thrown in Anchorage parades.  :(  We're lucky to even have a parade with the people running this town.



 

post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

I didn't realize last month's pedestrian death had anything to do with anything other than an elderly driver hitting the accelerator instead of the brake :(

 

One float tried to give out stuff and a parade organizer ran up and stopped them. Seemed pretty... I dunno, overplanned on that front. I suppose something must've happened or too many people complained. I can see where the city just wouldn't want to deal with it I guess...


In this day and age, it doesn't seem to matter WHAT caused the accident. "Death" and "Parade" in one sentence is all you need.

 

So they can't even hand out anything anymore? That sucks. Last parade we were in was Fur Rendezvous 2010 and we had 6 people walking and handing out gummy bears.

post #7 of 20

Thought you ladies might like to know.  I'm not sure if you've heard of the new films Ricki Lake is putting out as an educational follow-up to The Business of Being Born?  Well...they were doing a Kickstarter campaign to raise money and were on a time constraint.  The last donor was a Dr. Elrod from Wasilla who generously pledged $10,000 (no one had pledged that much).  His contribution put them over the top so they met their goal in time.  Nice shoutout to this Wasilla doc who I'm sure somebody here knows.  : )    

post #8 of 20

I know several Mamas that have had Dr Elrod for thier VBAC. He has a really good reputation for VBACs, best around that I have heard of.  Hooray for his donation!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FbksMama View Post

Thought you ladies might like to know.  I'm not sure if you've heard of the new films Ricki Lake is putting out as an educational follow-up to The Business of Being Born?  Well...they were doing a Kickstarter campaign to raise money and were on a time constraint.  The last donor was a Dr. Elrod from Wasilla who generously pledged $10,000 (no one had pledged that much).  His contribution put them over the top so they met their goal in time.  Nice shoutout to this Wasilla doc who I'm sure somebody here knows.  : )    



 

post #9 of 20

Yep Dr. Elrod is famous even up here in Fairbanks!

post #10 of 20

completely off topic question - but can anyone who's delivered at Prov tell me if their mother-baby unit still does the shared bathroom thing? I delivered there in 2004, they did and I found it kinda gross to be sharing a bathroom with another PP woman.

post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

completely off topic question - but can anyone who's delivered at Prov tell me if their mother-baby unit still does the shared bathroom thing? I delivered there in 2004, they did and I found it kinda gross to be sharing a bathroom with another PP woman.



Yes, the PP rooms are TINY and you share the bathroom that's in the Hall with other PP women.

 

 

post #12 of 20

OK, yuck-o! Thanks for the info. You'd think that with the $$ OB is likely to pull in they'd update and make it more appealing...

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

OK, yuck-o! Thanks for the info. You'd think that with the $$ OB is likely to pull in they'd update and make it more appealing...


Word on the street is they are doing a multi-million Dollar renovation to the L&D&PP area and adding a new surgical suite just for the the Maternity ward in anticipation for a 50% C-section rate.

 

post #14 of 20

Is Dr E an OB? I need an OB up there. I had my 4 yr old at elmendorf I may just have this one there we still get our med benefits so...

post #15 of 20

I googled them and contacted them, he went to school where I am originally from in cincinnati ohio. I'm sure we'll have a lot in common as far as that goes lol. We'll be there probably around the second week of aug or so I need be seen asap by them so hopefully they take tricare lol

post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 

I think Dr. Elrod takes tricare. Are you keeping Tricare Prime or going with Standard?

 

 

post #17 of 20

thank you :-)  he does take it I went ahead and called him, I think we'll be on standard because we have to pay for it yearly its super cheap though like 400 or so a year

post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post

thank you :-)  he does take it I went ahead and called him, I think we'll be on standard because we have to pay for it yearly its super cheap though like 400 or so a year



My DH is medically retired too. We still have Tricare but we stuck with Standard cuz it's free. Can't beat that! :)  We have choose not to upgrade to Prime even though it's super affordable because no one on base knows how to care for a diabetic (hubby). Although, it's a good base to deliver at if one is pregnant, I'll have to deal with my civilian options.

 

Don't forget to get on Denali Kid Care as soon as you get here!  (it's the state Medicaid for kids and pregnant ladies)

 

post #19 of 20

oh tammy I didnt know we could get that and not have to pay I swear they told us we had to pay either way... I'd rather not pay anything I had no bad experiences at the base hospital when we went there the only thing I remember getting ugly with them over was vaccines :-X . And yes on the denali kid care for sure! I cant wait to meet you guys. i actually started a support group here for families in our WTU unit for sick/hurt soldiers's/vet spouses and I plan to start one in alaska for everyone too if you want to join up. I know they have a WTB there and I know that some ladies would be interested in the support. So lmk if you would be interested too :-)

post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 

Jess, Unless they changed the rules or something, Tricare Standard for Retirees should be Free (no premiums) just a yearly deductible and co-pays. And I think Prime was a yearly premium of about $500.  

 

Can't wait to meet you. !

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii