My 8.5 year old DS has been referred to a pediatric urologist. At a recent trip to the beach, it seems he got some sand in his foreskin. The irritation made it red and swollen, which prevented him from fully retracting his foreskin and cleaning properly. As a result he developed a yeast infection, which we have cleared up since. Now things are looking much better, but his doc has referred us to a urologist because it appears part of the foreskin is still not retracting fully. (I'll double post part of this on intact parenting board for other advice, so ignore if you've read that one. =D)
The issue is not the frenulum, on the bottom. It is actually on the top part of the shaft, just where you'd expect to be able to pull the foreskin entire back over the glans. I've read on men's health forums that a combination of stretching and betamethasone cream can be a non-invasive way to cure frenulum breve. But we're not talking about the "little string" on the bottom, more about the top. So I'm not really sure that that would work.
However, I want to come armed with alternatives because in my experience, doctors just like to cut and snip at any chance. When the problem first appeared DS's doctor immediately said he would need his foreskin "widened"--- when I told him that the foreskin was made to stretch and that cutting it open was dramatic, he called me a minimalist. (ROFL) But we proved that with some cream and stretching, and with the swelling from the irritation going down, DS could actually retract his foreskin. It just isn't retracted as much as the doctor would like. To tell the truth, I know boys retract at various ages, but even to me it doesn't look quite "right" yet.
If any Knoxville moms know of good intact-friendly doctors who could refer us to an intact-friendly urologist, I would really appreciate it. Or, cut out the middle man, and just let me know of a good urologist!
We're moving to England at the beginning of August and I'm sooooo tempted to let European doctors, who are not afraid of a little foreskin, handle this instead. But I don't want DS to be compromised in any way by waiting.
Thanks for any help,