or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2011 › Things to expect after you give birth, for the new mom
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things to expect after you give birth, for the new mom - Page 2

post #21 of 57

Great thread!  Thanks for sharing with the newbies!

post #22 of 57

After my DD was born I was totally unprepared for feeling nauseous every time DD would nurse.  I could never have snacks or food around.  Also I bleed\had discharge for 9 weeks so it can last a long time!!  And one thing that many still think is crazy for me, is due to weird hormone levels I had really awful joint pain for about 9 months postpartum, had a hard time standing up or going up stairs.  Also wish I would have been better about asking for help and asking questions, things got very lonely.  Good luck to all the new moms out there.  It does get better and it is totally worth it!!

post #23 of 57

I'm glad I could share my story with those who would truly appreciate it.  lol.gif  As if that wasn't bizarre enough, I had a phone call today from my bank saying there was fraudulent activity on my account.  I had to drive across town again to fill out an affidavit and then have the police come over to file a report.  The cop was like "oh how old is your baby?"  I told him 4 days and he was like bigeyes.gif.  Then he says "You sure have a lot going on, huh?"  Buddy, you have no idea.  lol.

post #24 of 57

I can honestely say that between "What to expect when youare expecting" and "Nursing Mother's Companion"  nothing relaly suprized me except tha all over like I was hit by a train fatique first 2 days.

post #25 of 57

My first was a c-section.  I remember how horrible it felt to cough or sneeze.  It felt like my belly was going to rip open.  And it was very hard to move around.  But I only bled lightly for 2-3 days.  I totally lost my sex drive too.  My second, 5 years later, was natural with 2nd degree tear.  I could move ok but couldn't sit for weeks and was terrified to bm.  I bled for 6-7 weeks heavily but got my sex drive back before I was ready to do it.  I know, tmi.  But you asked, lol smile.gif  I get very sleepy when bfing also.  I started bfing on my side 'cause I was affraid I'd fall asleep and drop ds.  Strangely I have had tons of energy and seem to be able to do more in a day than before I got pregnant with #2.

post #26 of 57

DDCC from January...  Nobody has mentioned this yet, so I'm not sure if it's common, but it was a huge deal for me!  During pregnancy with DS I got HUGE, and my abs separated.  After birth, in addition to my squishy belly, I literally felt like my innards were going to fall out.  I had to hold my abdomen every time I stood up or even just to roll over in bed.  I ended up asking for an abdominal support band, which the hospital provided.  I wore it for weeks.  For a long time after birth, I noticed that if I laid flat on my back, I could push my hand so far into my abdomen that I seriously thought I might be able to grab my spine.  bigeyes.gif

 

My diastasis never fully healed, and going into pregnancy #2 I still had a finger-width gap between my abs.  I definitely plan on binding my belly sooner this time around, then finding and doing some ab exercises to heal the separation.  

post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by diana_of_the_dunes View Post

DDCC from January... Nobody has mentioned this yet, so I'm not sure if it's common, but it was a huge deal for me! During pregnancy with DS I got HUGE, and my abs separated. After birth, in addition to my squishy belly, I literally felt like my innards were going to fall out. I had to hold my abdomen every time I stood up or even just to roll over in bed. I ended up asking for an abdominal support band, which the hospital provided. I wore it for weeks. For a long time after birth, I noticed that if I laid flat on my back, I could push my hand so far into my abdomen that I seriously thought I might be able to grab my spine. bigeyes.gif

My diastasis never fully healed, and going into pregnancy #2 I still had a finger-width gap between my abs. I definitely plan on binding my belly sooner this time around, then finding and doing some ab exercises to heal the separation.


I had a diastasis too, and when I got pregnant again I still had a 1-finger gap despite being in really great shape and having really strong abs! This time I'm doing some belly binding for sure (did not last time) and as for exercises, look up the Tupler Technique--it is what helped me get the muscles *almost* back together before I got pregnant again. (This time I also hope to not get pregnant again so soon--lol!)

I also thought of one more thing for this thread-- around 3-4 months postpartum, your hair might start falling out in huge clumps in the shower! This is because during pregnancy, you stop producing the hormone that makes your hair fall out at a normal rate, even though your hair keeps growing. Which is why your hair gets so thick and lustrous. But once your hormones all start going back to normal, all that extra hair you grew starts falling out. I've heard for some people it's a more gradual thing, so they don't really notice, but for me it all started falling out at once and kind of freaked me out! But don't worry if it happens to you--eventually your hair will even out and be normal again. Here's an article about it: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/hairloss.html
post #28 of 57

That line doesn't go away for a while, but you can help the darkened skin come off by exfoliating. 

 

You might *not* leak at all... it doesn't mean you don't have enough milk.

 

When the baby's upset, offer the breast first and if that doesn't work, try other things.

 

I still have a sick-to-my-stomach feeling every time DS nurses. It used to last for longer but now it's just a few seconds. I don't know how common this is, but I could hardly eat for the first month or so postpartum. I had lots of fruit and little meals. 

 

Gripe water is great for upset tummies. You can pay a lot for it at speciality shops, or get it waaay cheaper at Indian grocery shops (maybe other ethnicities too I dunno).

 

Even if all the weight comes off, you still may not be able to wear your old clothes because you body shape may have changed. For me my hips are wider so some of the pants I wore before don't quite fit right. My chest is also bigger because of nursing. I'm only 5 lbs heavier than I was before I got pregnant, but I've still had to re-work my wardrobe a little.

 

MOST importantly: TRUST your instincts!!! Love your little darling every second of every day!! love.gif

post #29 of 57

Something strange that happened to me that I have not found happened to anyone else & even puzzled my Dr. was: he was born at 4 am & the whole day, every time I would nurse him, I would get terribly nauseated & throw up! Totally weird.... I think maybe my insides were so irritated from the PP contractions, that it happened (?)... It felt like the nausea during transition....

post #30 of 57

Thanks for posting this for those of us who have yet to experience the unknown joys.  I was 15 when my youngest brother was born.  My mom had her last 5 of 7 babies at home, unassisted except for my father being there.  I remember all too clearly taking care of my little brother's meconium diapers.  When I saw Urbanhippie's post, it sure brought back memories.

post #31 of 57

Oh man, I had forgotten so many of these things! And my DS is only 14 months old! The sweating... ugh. I also remember literally feeling like my insides were going to fall out post partum. I'd hold my stomach when I was walking around. Binding really helped. Did anyone mention blood clots? I remember peeing a few hours after the birth and a clot the size of a tennis ball came out.

post #32 of 57

Oh man, my youngest is 5. I have forgotten about so much of this... the sweating, my god, the sweating! The clots that come out after wards are epic. I remember the doctor saying to call if they were larger than a lemon. I passed one the size of a large lemon and called and they said it was in the range of normal. So be prepared. 

 

I am pretty sure that my abs have separated this time and from you ladies who have been through this, I am wondering what is the best belly binder? From what I have seen they are pretty pricey so, I am hoping to get a good one on the first purchase. 

post #33 of 57

I was totally unprepared for the hormones.  I had a c-section and about two days after, it was the middle of the night and I was in the rocking chair nursing but I still needed help to get up when I was holding the baby.  I was calling for DH in the bed but he was so exhausted he just wouldn't wake up.  I'm stuck in the chair, exhausted and DH is sleeping like an angel right through it all.  I started to cry and scream at him.  I was telling him to get out because if I had to do this as a single mom then I might as well be a single mom.  I was completely irrational.  He just didn't hear me because he had also not slept in days. Having never experienced really strong PMS symptoms I didn't realize that it wasn't me talking but the hormones.  Needless to say he stuck around and we are expecting number two but I was an absolute wreck.  It took a few weeks to calm down. It wasn't PPD but the mood swings were crazy!  

post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturallove View Post

I am pretty sure that my abs have separated this time and from you ladies who have been through this, I am wondering what is the best belly binder? From what I have seen they are pretty pricey so, I am hoping to get a good one on the first purchase.


I haven't done belly binding yet, but...My understanding is that they all work about the same, so IMO the pricey ones are not worth the money. I've heard of people using large Ace bandages from the drugstore and it working just fine. Lots of people use a rebozo, which is basically just a long sheet. You just want something to wrap tightly around your belly that is soft and preferably stretchy. I got a cheap abdominal binder ($19 I think) and if that's uncomfortable I'll probably just tie a piece of fabric around me. Come to think of it, a
Moby baby wrap would probably work great. lol.gif
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturallove View Post

Oh man, my youngest is 5. I have forgotten about so much of this... the sweating, my god, the sweating! The clots that come out after wards are epic. I remember the doctor saying to call if they were larger than a lemon. I passed one the size of a large lemon and called and they said it was in the range of normal. So be prepared. 

 

I am pretty sure that my abs have separated this time and from you ladies who have been through this, I am wondering what is the best belly binder? From what I have seen they are pretty pricey so, I am hoping to get a good one on the first purchase. 


This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/Gabrialla-Breathable-Elastic-Abdominal-Binder/dp/B000WFT3II/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310665638&sr=8-1

 

Honestly, it was aweful. I got it because I didn't want to spend a bunch. It was impossible to velcro it in a way where the corner of the velcro didn't rub on me and cause red marks. It was very irritating. This time I'll just wrap tightly with something soft (like a piece of a sheet), or invest in a more expensive binder.

 

post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicaleel View Post



I had a diastasis too, and when I got pregnant again I still had a 1-finger gap despite being in really great shape and having really strong abs! This time I'm doing some belly binding for sure (did not last time) and as for exercises, look up the Tupler Technique--it is what helped me get the muscles *almost* back together before I got pregnant again. (This time I also hope to not get pregnant again so soon--lol!)

I also thought of one more thing for this thread-- around 3-4 months postpartum, your hair might start falling out in huge clumps in the shower! This is because during pregnancy, you stop producing the hormone that makes your hair fall out at a normal rate, even though your hair keeps growing. Which is why your hair gets so thick and lustrous. But once your hormones all start going back to normal, all that extra hair you grew starts falling out. I've heard for some people it's a more gradual thing, so they don't really notice, but for me it all started falling out at once and kind of freaked me out! But don't worry if it happens to you--eventually your hair will even out and be normal again. Here's an article about it: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/hairloss.html


Just butting in here wink1.gif ~ I wanted to mention that with my 1st, it seemed like ALL of my extra pregnancy hair fell out in one weekend about 3 months after ds was born. I was devastated. I thought I was going bald. Handfuls of hair fell out at a time. I made an appointment with my doctor and was crying in the waiting room (crazy pp hormones!) and a nurse had to come and comfort me and assure me that it was normal and I wasn't going to go completely bald. I was prepared to have a jiggly belly and mood swings, but I never expected the hair loss. It wasn't quite as bad with ds#2 - more of a gradual thing. Interestingly, my doctor gave me B12 vitamins at that appointment. Not sure if that was to help the hair loss or just to give me something so I'd stop crying, haha! 

 

Crazy what we go through for our little ones, eh?

 

post #37 of 57

Speaking of baby poops, the 1st BM for you postpartum can be quite an event as well.

Make sure to drink lot's of water and eat fiber to help with an easier 1st BM.

It's not just a physical event, but it can be mentally trying too. I remember I was a bit scared that I was going to hurt something.

 

post #38 of 57

I agree with the pad over the c-sections incision site!  Nobody told me that, so I had to figure it out on my own.  And, boy, does it help, so the stitches/steri strips do not rub on the waste of your pants or underwear.

 

Also, the most important thing I learned that I did not know ahead of time, is that, for the first three days, you cannot put that baby down because it it nursing the entire time!  Especially day 3, when the milk is starting to come in, that baby will nurse constantly!  Do not give up, keep on keeping on, and drink a full glass of fluids every time you nurse!

post #39 of 57

Great idea for a post, though I would imagine it could be pretty scary to those who haven't "been there, done that" just yet.

 

My son is 19 months and I still have joint pain (wrists, hips, knees, and ankles) that started in my third trimester.  I didn't realize the aches and pains you endure while pregnant might last for years (or, dare I say, forever?).

post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadybh View Post

Great idea for a post, though I would imagine it could be pretty scary to those who haven't "been there, done that" just yet.

 

My son is 19 months and I still have joint pain (wrists, hips, knees, and ankles) that started in my third trimester.  I didn't realize the aches and pains you endure while pregnant might last for years (or, dare I say, forever?).



Oh yeah! (It's amazing how quickly we forget...)

 

I had severe pain and I could hardly walk straight. A chiropractor fixed it, though! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2011 › Things to expect after you give birth, for the new mom