or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Netflix new pricing. Blech!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix new pricing. Blech! - Page 3

post #41 of 54

If the kids lose them, let them pay for them. winky.gif Train 'em at a young age...

 

post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

If the kids lose them, let them pay for them. winky.gif Train 'em at a young age...

 


Yes DS learned young and fast about library fines.

 

post #43 of 54

The thing is  - the streaming kind of sucks on Netflix. I would be all over $16 per month if the selection on streaming was as good for the disks. I hate dealing with the disks, and there is almost nothing I want to watch on streaming. The selection for streaming is good for the kids.

 

I took our cable down to bare minimum $20 per month and we have PBS kids. So, we do use Netflix streaming some...

 

I don't know what I am going to do. I can throw the additional $16 per month into better cable or I can do Netflix. I have a feeling Netflix will win out and I will just keep waiting for streaming to get better. As it is now I only order disks for movies I watch while i exercise and use the streaming for the kids.

post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona2359 View Post

The thing is  - the streaming kind of sucks on Netflix. I would be all over $16 per month if the selection on streaming was as good for the disks. I hate dealing with the disks, and there is almost nothing I want to watch on streaming. The selection for streaming is good for the kids.

 

I took our cable down to bare minimum $20 per month and we have PBS kids. So, we do use Netflix streaming some...

 

I don't know what I am going to do. I can throw the additional $16 per month into better cable or I can do Netflix. I have a feeling Netflix will win out and I will just keep waiting for streaming to get better. As it is now I only order disks for movies I watch while i exercise and use the streaming for the kids.

 

We have a digital antenna and we get all of the local channels including PBS kids and qubo for free.  Would that be an option for you?

post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post



 

We have a digital antenna and we get all of the local channels including PBS kids and qubo for free.  Would that be an option for you?



Would you please tell me more about your digital antenna? I am just beginning some research on this idea.... Thank you!

post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post





Would you please tell me more about your digital antenna? I am just beginning some research on this idea.... Thank you!



We got ours close to two years ago, it's an indoor RCA model that we paid around $80 for at the time but it's currently about half price on Amazon.  If you have a flat screen tv you just connect it and you don't need anything else, very simple and works great.  If you have an older analog tv you will need a converter box.  I believe these run for $30-40 depending on the store.

 

With the antenna, we get close to 20 channels total, all of the local channels plus some bonus ones (an Extra PBS channel and PBS Kids, and the Ion and Qubo channels).

post #47 of 54


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siennaflower View Post





We got ours close to two years ago, it's an indoor RCA model that we paid around $80 for at the time but it's currently about half price on Amazon.  If you have a flat screen tv you just connect it and you don't need anything else, very simple and works great.  If you have an older analog tv you will need a converter box.  I believe these run for $30-40 depending on the store.

 

With the antenna, we get close to 20 channels total, all of the local channels plus some bonus ones (an Extra PBS channel and PBS Kids, and the Ion and Qubo channels).


Thank you!!!! love.gif

 

post #48 of 54

Just as an FYI, Redbox late fees are a $1 a day, but if you keep the movie for 25 days, it's yours.

post #49 of 54
I rented two movies from the redbox today. 27 minutes of preview/ nonprofit advertisements that I could not get past. "Action not allowed" when I tried to skip to the main menu. I had picked up takeout, and I wanted to eat my food while I was being entertained, not while I was crying about all of the dogs that were euthanized last year. I'll be keeping my Netflix subscription.

27 minutes!!! That was as long as 1/3 of the movie.
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I rented two movies from the redbox today. 27 minutes of preview/ nonprofit advertisements that I could not get past. "Action not allowed" when I tried to skip to the main menu. I had picked up takeout, and I wanted to eat my food while I was being entertained, not while I was crying about all of the dogs that were euthanized last year. I'll be keeping my Netflix subscription.

27 minutes!!! That was as long as 1/3 of the movie.


That sounds like torture!

 

post #51 of 54

Over the last several years, I have reduced my media consumption more and more.  Really finding that I would just rather do things than watch things.  Plan on canceling the cable completely in the fall, already down to the $20 a month basic cable option.  Don't think that the streaming on Netflix is worth the money, really.  So I decided to go to the 2 disc a month plan, which is probably all I really want to watch in a month.  I also do Redbox, but I like to watch things that Redbox never has.  The nice thing about Netflix is that you can instantly change your account at any time.  I mean if you are sick at home or something, you can just turn on the streaming for a week or two.  During winter school break I usually increase to a 2 disc at a time mode so the kids can gorge themselves on movies. And you can put a hold on your account at any time as well.  Even if you stop the account completely and then go back later, it still holds your queue and you can get back to where you were instantly for streaming and in two days for discs.  I take advantage of that flexibility because I watch more movies in the winter, say, than in the summer.

 

 

post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post

There is a blog that shows what shows are coming up for streaming...let me see if I can find it...

 

http://feedfliks.com/streaming/coming-soon 

 

I treat Netflix streaming like I used to treat TV. Whatever is on, that's what I watch. I like it better than satellite TV. I can watch an entire series, without commercials. I can pick what episodes I want to watch or skip. I can fast forward through boring parts.

 

For $8 a month (or even $15) it's still better than the $60 I used to pay for satellite, and there is significantly more that I actually want to watch on Netflix.

 

 



I totally agree. I'm not gonna cancel anytime soon.

 

post #53 of 54

We're keeping it too.  However, I wish that they would allow "streaming only" people to have a box calle "send me this dvd" with a charge/dvd.  Like $2/dvd or something with no late fees.  That way, I could go just streaming and then occassionally enjoy a dvd.  If I was wanting a dvd a lot, I would get the streaming/dvd plan.  But anyways, dh likes to keep the dvd option though I don't know why. . . so we will. 

 

Amy

post #54 of 54
Thread Starter 

Huh.  NEver occurred to me to do that - although i guess I knew that i could.  That's actually brilliant! We don't have a tv at all, and the kids really only watch a movie a week during our family movie night, but I need to keep this flexibility in mind!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post

Over the last several years, I have reduced my media consumption more and more.  Really finding that I would just rather do things than watch things.  Plan on canceling the cable completely in the fall, already down to the $20 a month basic cable option.  Don't think that the streaming on Netflix is worth the money, really.  So I decided to go to the 2 disc a month plan, which is probably all I really want to watch in a month.  I also do Redbox, but I like to watch things that Redbox never has.  The nice thing about Netflix is that you can instantly change your account at any time.  I mean if you are sick at home or something, you can just turn on the streaming for a week or two.  During winter school break I usually increase to a 2 disc at a time mode so the kids can gorge themselves on movies. And you can put a hold on your account at any time as well.  Even if you stop the account completely and then go back later, it still holds your queue and you can get back to where you were instantly for streaming and in two days for discs.  I take advantage of that flexibility because I watch more movies in the winter, say, than in the summer.

 

 



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Netflix new pricing. Blech!