1. What is your first name? Kirsten
2. How did you choose your screen name? My initials are KP, and a coworker used to call me by my initials, but spell it like this when he'd send me e-mail.
3. Where do you live? Where were you born? I live in Vancouver BC, Canada. I was born in Edmonton, but I grew up in Thunder Bay Ontario. Vancouver is a beautiful place to live, I wish we could afford to live here the way that we'd like (property values are very very high here, comparable to New York or London.)
4. What is one of your favourite books? So hard to choose! Anne of Green Gables was my favourite as a kid, and I still go back and read it from time to time, so it would be my longest-running favourite. Lately I've been digging Radical Homemakers.
5. What is your favourite season and why? In the summer, I say it's summer. I love the gardening, the fresh food, the swimming, the bonfires, going camping, watermelon, everything. In the fall, I say it's fall, because I love sweaters and mittens and scarves, and soup and tea and hikes and I also get really energized in the fall, and feel really creative. The autumn feels like the new year. Spring is lovely in Vancouver too, so living here, I have developed an appreciation for spring too. I basically am not a fan of winter.
6. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I think I'd want to do a contemporary art/craft/food tour of Europe, including Scandinavia, if I could be really extravagant. I feel in the need of inspiration. I'd also love to do the Squam art workshops in early summer, and this is pretty extravagant too, because of all the time I would need away from my family to spend on JUST ME. But it sounds wonderful, being able to be creative, make things, and also be at a retreat by a lake.
7. What is your most and least favourite household chore? Most favourite: does organizing count? I like anything detail-oriented - cleaning a dirty garbage can, cleaning out cupboards etc. And I actually really like doing laundry. Least favourite: pretty much anything else, I am a terrible housekeeper. I have a special dislike for dishes though, as we don't have a dishwasher. Luckily, my husband is amazing, and does the dishes for me.
8. What is your current job? What did you do pre-motherhood? I'm a SAHM. Pre-motherhood I was an artist working in arts administration (theatre) to pay the bills.
9. What is one thing you like to do in your free time? Knitting. Though I'm terrible at following patterns. I love inventing my own patterns to make animals, and wonky clothes too. If I had MORE free time, I'd also be working on other creative pursuits - drawing, textile work, sculpture. But knitting fits best in my life right now because I can pick it up and put it down in small bursts. I haven't yet learned how to do that with other creative stuff.
10. What is one thing you're looking forward to doing differently with this baby. What's one thing you plan to do the same? Out of necessity, I plan to deal with sleep differently with this baby. DD didn't sleep on her own until she was over a year, and by that I mean she was NEVER alone to sleep. I had to be touching her, or she wasn't sleeping. I will make it a priority to have naptime, and bedtime be baby sleeps alone time. I don't mind nursing to sleep again, but I have to be able to leave once baby is asleep. Most other things I'd like to do the same - cloth diapers with ECing, babywearing, nursing on demand, nursing well into toddlerhood, gentle discipline, etc.