or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Maryland, Metro D.C. Area, Delaware › Religous exemption fopr vaccines in MD-please help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Religous exemption fopr vaccines in MD-please help

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

.05 Religious Exemption.
A. Using the form provided by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, a student whose
parent or guardian objects to immunization on the ground that the immunization conflicts with
the parent's or guardian's bona fide religious beliefs and practices is exempt from the requirement
to present a physician's certificate of immunization in order that the student be admitted to
school.

 

"bona fide religious beliefs".

How is this done and documented?

post #2 of 28

Haven't used it yet since mine isn't old enough for school, but to my knowledge, you simply check that box on the form and that's it.  You do not have to state membership in a specific religion (and many caution against doing that anyway).  They cannot question you about your religion or beliefs.  If they do, you simply state that you do not wish to discuss your religious beliefs any further. 

 

HTH, and I"m sure others will chime in.  (If I've got any part wrong, I hope someone will correct me.)

post #3 of 28

no, Maria is right. just check the box and you aren't required to prove you belong to any group. jsut do what she said.

post #4 of 28

I totally stressed out about this, but in the end, I checked the box, signed the form, and handed it to the school nurse with a smile. I got a bewildered look, and then a couple questions, but I smiled back, pointed at the form with my signature on it, and said, "That's it!" brightly. It will be OK, just be nice, and don't answer any questions -- because you don't have to!

post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 

Is the form just for schools? what about at day care, or even at doctors offices. I'm concern bed CPS will be called and try to force vax or take my baby. Ithere are non vax groups on Fb . i bet they know all about this.

post #6 of 28

i think some people/groups use the form as standard, but it is only necessary for publicly funded programs like school and some summer camps.  a daycare may refuse you if your kid isn't vaxxed, but nobody is going to report you for that. i haven't heard of that and i'm pretty plugged in with natural communities

post #7 of 28
Thread Starter 

thank you. our country is becoming so fascist . ppl losing rights left and right regarding birth and vaciines. it had me a little worried.

post #8 of 28

just sign and smile.  never answer questions.  its your right not too!

http://ideha.dhmh.maryland.gov/IMMUN/pdf/896_form.pdf

 

i was threatened by a pedi that she was going to call cps and have me arrested and my child put in foster care and I told her my attorney told me that its perfectly legal, but that her threat wasnt and she burst into tears.  it is not illegal to not vaccinate.  (yet)

 

Goodluck!!

post #9 of 28
Thread Starter 


ty very much. I have seen quite a bit of bullying and ultimatums by Drs here in Md so thanks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenimBebek View Post

just sign and smile.  never answer questions.  its your right not too!

http://ideha.dhmh.maryland.gov/IMMUN/pdf/896_form.pdf

 

i was threatened by a pedi that she was going to call cps and have me arrested and my child put in foster care and I told her my attorney told me that its perfectly legal, but that her threat wasnt and she burst into tears.  it is not illegal to not vaccinate.  (yet)

 

Goodluck!!



 

post #10 of 28

Bumping this thread a bit, sorry.

 

I had my first pediatrician appointment today since moving to Maryland, and the doctor provided little help with regards to my questions about religious exemption in Maryland. (Probably because she was a little vaccine happy herself.) I'm wondering, if I have chosen to vaccinate my daughter partially (others I'm declining and others I'm waiting until she's a bit older), should I just claim religious exemption on all of the immunization paperwork rather than noting on the form which ones she's had? The pediatrician was unable to answer that for me. (I hope that makes sense.)

 

Also, with regard to chicken pox, the pediatrician I saw today told me that "I might as well vaccinate because she's never going to catch chicken pox around here" (because such a high majority of people here vaccinate against it). I'm not quite sure I trust her opinion on this. From your experience, has it been that hard to expose children in the MD area to chicken pox naturally (as opposed to the vaccine). Ahhh... This is all so much different than where we moved from in Oregon. :)

 

 

post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacait View Post

Bumping this thread a bit, sorry.

 

I had my first pediatrician appointment today since moving to Maryland, and the doctor provided little help with regards to my questions about religious exemption in Maryland. (Probably because she was a little vaccine happy herself.) I'm wondering, if I have chosen to vaccinate my daughter partially (others I'm declining and others I'm waiting until she's a bit older), should I just claim religious exemption on all of the immunization paperwork rather than noting on the form which ones she's had? The pediatrician was unable to answer that for me. (I hope that makes sense.)

 

Also, with regard to chicken pox, the pediatrician I saw today told me that "I might as well vaccinate because she's never going to catch chicken pox around here" (because such a high majority of people here vaccinate against it). I'm not quite sure I trust her opinion on this. From your experience, has it been that hard to expose children in the MD area to chicken pox naturally (as opposed to the vaccine). Ahhh... This is all so much different than where we moved from in Oregon. :)

 

 


Are you referring to school forms? If so, yes, just sign the part of the form marked 'religious exemption'. My daughter's school form didn't include the choice for an exemption, so I just handed them the Department of Health form (the one that's linked to above) already signed. On the part of the school form that the Dr. is to fill out, I just crossed out the part where the Dr. lists the vaxes received and attached a note saying I was claiming the religious exemption for school.

 

No info on chicken pox, sorry!

 

post #12 of 28

Most doctors don't have information on exemptions, so I'm not surprised your doctor said she didn't know.

 

I would plan on claiming a blanket exemption and do not voluntarily share what if any vaccines you have done.  If you admit to having partially vaccinated, you may invalidate your exemption.  If you've vaccinated in the past and stopped, that's different because you could have converted or changed beliefs, but no need to complicate matters by disclosing too much.  Fortunately vaccination information is private and you do not have to share it.

 

I think that when dealing with doctors, the less you say about vaccinations the better.  Just say that you'll think about it and change the subject. 

 

I have heard of local chicken pox parties in Maryland, but you may have to hunt to find one.


Edited by AerialistEm - 10/11/11 at 12:33pm
post #13 of 28

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it.

post #14 of 28

I wish I could find chicken pox!!!  Im asking my family that lives in a freaking 3rd world country and even THEY vaccinate for chicken pox.  ugh... plus my MIL just told me their kids never got chicken pox.  measles but not chicken pox.  thats odd.

post #15 of 28

I read this form and got little peace of Mind . My child is 5 years now and has received few vaccines. Now we have decided not to give him any more vaccines as he has developed delays and little verbal . Can we claim Religious exemption now for the rest of the vaccines , last time he was vaccinated when he was 3 years old.  Is this rule applies to Howard County as well. Any one tried this exemption in Howard county , Do I need to talk to an Attorney for this , in case if we asked more Questions in School .

 

Please help , We are really stressed as we got a vaccine note from the school.

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post

I read this form and got little peace of Mind . My child is 5 years now and has received few vaccines. Now we have decided not to give him any more vaccines as he has developed delays and little verbal . Can we claim Religious exemption now for the rest of the vaccines , last time he was vaccinated when he was 3 years old.  Is this rule applies to Howard County as well. Any one tried this exemption in Howard county , Do I need to talk to an Attorney for this , in case if we asked more Questions in School .

 

Please help , We are really stressed as we got a vaccine note from the school.



I am new to this too, my child is just entering kindergarten and her preschool didn't seem to care (they are in howard county) she is going to school in carroll county, and statewide, I believe you get a form. In the end you just sign exemption for religious reasons. You don't explain your religion and they can't ask because that is illegal. We partially vax and i do things on our schedule.

 

As for the chicken pox...yeah I don't want to give it to my kids either, but I think it's true I think the majority of people do get the vax and it will be hard to find naturally. I have not ever in 5 years known of anyone that I myself know or a friend of a friend, etc that has had it. Last person I have ever heard that had it was my nephews who are now in their 20s.

post #17 of 28

Hi, I just want to chime in on my experience with religious exemption.

 

I signed the form. BTW, we are in a religious  school ! Doesn't matter.

 

For my older son, one day, we got a letter home from Balt. County Dept. of Health: if he didn't get vaccine x by tommorrow, he wouldn't be allowed back in school....or something like that. I promptly called the admistrator who deals with this,  and told her that I have a religious exemption. (FYI, the school does not have an on site nurse, they have a nurse from the county who comes around, and she was checking all the paperwork, etc.)

 

So anyway, I said, "I'm sorry, my son will not be recieving this vaccination. If you look at the bottom of my paper, you see we have a religious exemption."

 

The admin said, "Umm, what's your religious exemption? Why don't you have your son vaccinated?"

 

I said, "I'm sorry. state regulations allows me the right to not vaccinate my child under a religious exemption. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should speak to your local congressman and see about having the regulation changed. But in the meantime, II'm not obligated to discuss this further."

 

 

 

So the answer is, sound confident!!!

post #18 of 28

I noticed on the paperwork for kiddo's preschool that it says 'Please contact us immediately if your child is on a delayed vaccination schedule'. Do you think I need to contact them immediately? If one has the legal right to claim a religious exemption then why do they need to know about it before child is enrolled or will it affect my child's admissions status negatively? Hmm... Don't know what to do. :(

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacait View Post

I noticed on the paperwork for kiddo's preschool that it says 'Please contact us immediately if your child is on a delayed vaccination schedule'. Do you think I need to contact them immediately? If one has the legal right to claim a religious exemption then why do they need to know about it before child is enrolled or will it affect my child's admissions status negatively? Hmm... Don't know what to do. :(

 I'm thinking it would be because the school may need proof of vaccination (which vaxs were rec'd)  per the county/state health dept if you tell them your child is selectively vaxed.I seem to remember this from DD's private preschool. The state routinely checks the school records and if you aren't claiming a religious exemption (meaning, not providing the school with any vax info) and are providing the school with records of a partial vaccination schedule, the school would need to have them on hand. I would just sign the form for religious exemption (either on the school paperwork or print out the one linked to above) and cross out the part on the Dr's forms where it lists vaxs.

 

post #20 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLamb View Post

Hi, I just want to chime in on my experience with religious exemption.

 

I signed the form. BTW, we are in a religious  school ! Doesn't matter.

 

For my older son, one day, we got a letter home from Balt. County Dept. of Health: if he didn't get vaccine x by tommorrow, he wouldn't be allowed back in school....or something like that. I promptly called the admistrator who deals with this,  and told her that I have a religious exemption. (FYI, the school does not have an on site nurse, they have a nurse from the county who comes around, and she was checking all the paperwork, etc.)

 

So anyway, I said, "I'm sorry, my son will not be recieving this vaccination. If you look at the bottom of my paper, you see we have a religious exemption."

 

The admin said, "Umm, what's your religious exemption? Why don't you have your son vaccinated?"

 

I said, "I'm sorry. state regulations allows me the right to not vaccinate my child under a religious exemption. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should speak to your local congressman and see about having the regulation changed. But in the meantime, II'm not obligated to discuss this further."

 

 

 

So the answer is, sound confident!!!

 


Great job! Baltimore county is so fascist!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Maryland, Metro D.C. Area, Delaware › Religous exemption fopr vaccines in MD-please help