I found out at my first prenatal visit on Wednesday (2 days ago) that i had a "missed miscarriage." (i was technically 8 weeks preg). there was no heartbeat and not even any developing fetus, just an empty amniotic sac.
ive mostly come to terms with the loss emotionally, or at least i feel that way now. my main concern at the moment is what to do next.... so far my body hasn't passed anything. my ob (who is great, but leans to the intervention side) is strongly encouraging me to get a d&c asap. his reasons are that (1) its "easier" (over after a day, don't have to go through a longtime of heavy bleeding, cramping; (2) more predictable (if i wait it could happen at anytime, may have to wait a couple of more weeks; (3) allows us to test the contents to help figure out why this happened; and (4) would prevent the risk that ill end up with hemmoraging that will turn into an emergency situation if i just let nature take its course.
i feel torn though because i worry about the risks of d&c, future fertility, etc., and also am SUPER afraid of general anesthesia and spinal anesthesia and i would have to definitely use one or the other. the hospital said its so painful they dont even allow anyone to do it with just local. i did a totally drug free birth that lasted 30 hours with back labor and they said that would be a walk in the park compared to a d&c even with local.
my ob insists that even putting convienence aside, overall he thinks going the d&c route is safest. but i dont know about that. im so worried about making a wrong decision and so confused about what to do.
i tried to find a more appropriate thread but couldn't find one, so maybe someone here has gone through this, or else can tell me where to post!!!
thanks in advance.