Almost 2 weeks post partum here, so I thought I'd share what I had for recovery purposes!
- My birth kit came with an assortment of pads, mesh undies, Depends, etc. and I bought some NatraCare pads too, and it has been nice to have an assortment from which to choose.
- Perineal ice packs - my birth kit came with two, and I wish I had bought a few more extra! I tried freezing pads, and they came out too hard and frozen solid to sit down, plus they were too cold
- instant cold packs - from Walgreens in the first aid aisle - my mom brought these back, and I used a damp washcloth wrapped around for absorbency and insulation, and just put it in my undies and it was fabulous
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Mama Bottom Balm - LOVE this stuff!!! After I got over having to touch myself (ouch) to put it on, it felt really good, very cooling
- Tucks pads - I lined my maxi pads with these after putting on the bottom balm and the two together were very cooling and soothing for a good half hour or so
- First Aid Spray - not as effective at numbing as I had hoped, but I did try it in desperation
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Spray - not as good as the bottom balm, but it was nice. However the sprayer stopped working, so now I have been pouring a little into my peri bottle and then adding water and using it like that
- Calendula tincture - was in my birth kit - my midwife told me to put a couple squirts in the peri bottle each time I filled it, for rinsing while I peed.
- Sitz bath herbs - I got mine from the company that did my birth kit www.radiantbelly.com and they were very nice. Had to be steeped ahead and then added to the bath after straining. Later on, I found I liked using the "hat" sitz bath instead of getting in the tub. I really couldn't sit on my bottom comfortably in the tub so it is better on the toilet. Now that I'm out of the Radiant Belly herbs, I am using the EMAB herbs which come in little tea bags. These are nice too. You have to steep ahead and then use the water you steeped in, and then you can also use the "tea bag" directly on your perineum.
- Sitz Bath hat for the potty - had to send DH out for one when I decided it would work better than getting in the tub. I liked the water fairly warm.
- donut for sitting on - sometimes comfortable sometimes not. It was an add on with my birth kit and I figured what the heck.
For reference, I had only a small 1 cm tear that I decided not to have stitched, and ended up with a sizeable hemmrhoid. :-(
Hopefully my list will help someone!