Is anyone else preparing and freezing meals for after the baby is born? Share your ideas, tips, and even tribulations with all of us.
We are an omnivorous family (my DH is practically carnivorous) so I may include items that others would not. My DH is a calm, brilliant man but an unsure and nervous cook. So, I have the following items planned to help take the pressure off:
- meatballs; tomato sauce/pasta, swedish sauce/egg noodles, bechamel sauce/brown rice, gravy/potatoes
- chicken breasts; ranch chicken (herbed bread crumbs, baked), parmesan, sun-dried tomato, honey mustard, tangy pineapple, crazy chicken (mild jerk), enchiladas
- fish; teriyaki salmon, orange salmon, lemon dill flounder, lime cumin tilapia,
- pizza crusts (4)
- strombolis (2)
- shepherd's pie
- prepared beans: black, pinto, garbanzos (rinsed, soaked, partially cooked)
- soups; veggie (kale, onions, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, crookneck, zucchini, tomatoes), chicken, chili
- frozen veggies (peas, corn, spinach, broccoli, collard greens, okra, limas, carrots)
- salad dressings
- muffin, pancake, waffle, tortilla mixes
I plan on working in batches (meatballs one day, chicken breasts another, etc...) so that it is not overwhelming. I am going to have to buy some storage dishes, I guess. I use only glass or stone typically but only have so many. I do not have $$ to buy glass for all of this freezing (on top of the initial food costs). Would you buy/use ziploc bags and foil pans?