Did you hold back and regret?
A little background...DD got in (lottery based) to the charter Montessori K for fall, it is from 12:30-3:30 every day. She is and always has been mature physically and mentally. Her birthday is early August and I am concerned about sending her as such a young 5 into everyday school, even though it's only for 3 hours. I am even more concerned about sending her next year as a just turned 6 year old into everyday, all day 1st grade.
Everyone says only send her if she's ready. Yes, I believe she's ready now. She can write many things and she is reading very basic things now. She is one of those kids that is just mature, knowledgeable about a lot of things and can carry on a conversation with an adult very easily.
One of my main concerns for holding her back would be her size. She is very tall and lean with an athletic build. She towers over her peers and older children we know (who are small but still) and I don't want being the biggest in the class to hurt her self esteem, KWIM?
FWIW, I teach at an outdoor preschool and she (and my other dd) will be there with me 2 am's per week in addition to another full day or two somewhere else and swim/sports lessons. If I keep her home, it is my personal goal to make this year as rich and creative and full of adventure as possible. I really want to enjoy this time with her. I started school as a young 5 and went to college at 17-I definitely think the older kids are when they go to college or out into the world, the better.
My intuition says keep her home with me and my other dd and really enjoy this last year all of us together but I don't want her to be bored once she does go to school. Though my thinking goes, better to be bored and have to skip a grade than be behind and be held back someday. Since her K is lottery based though, there is a chance we will not get in next year and will have to search for another great school. This charter is fairly progressive and full of great families that we already know and love.
Another deciding factor... her father and I have been recently separated and this past year has been tough, things could go either way at this point and the next year could bring a lot of change to our lives, I would rather have her with me as much as possible during that kind of transition.
TIA for reading and voting, I value the opinions from this community!
Edited by coloradomama1 - 7/18/11 at 1:25pm