or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › proud of my dh advocating natural birth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

proud of my dh advocating natural birth

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

My dh is friends with a guy whose wife is a few days past her due date. They discussed the risks of induction for no medical reason, how it can lead to epidurals, episiotomies, prolonged labor, c-section...I think it's really cool he's this educated about birth and can talk to other guys about it! Who knew he really listened to all my speeches; I thought he was just being nice :) Of course, he did learn how to handle our planned unassisted homebirth so he's a bit more involved than most men we know. The other dad he talked to did seem to know alot, also, which I thought was nice. I wish all fathers could be so educated and involved in their baby's beginnings! I think more women could handle birth better if their SO's were supportive.

post #2 of 9

That's really great! I'm often in awe too of how much of what I ramble on about sinks into my DH's head too. :) His best friend's wife had a baby last month and some of the things I'd hear him say to his friend would make me go, "Wow!"

post #3 of 9

That is awesome!! Y'all make me have hope that my ramblings are sinking in to my dh! lol

post #4 of 9

Ha you would LOVE my DH he is constantly advocating HB, BFing, CLW, GD, and AP. It's so funny how he will be talking to some dad and spanking somehow comes up and DH will start going on and on on why we don't spank and how there are other options out there etc.

post #5 of 9

Alot of guys aren't educated about it because they are grossed out by the birth process. I couldn't talk to this baby's dad about birth much because everything I brought up was "gross." The dad of my oldest two kids knows alot about labor and birth, which I am proud of, because he values the knowledge and tries to tell other dads to be and mothers to be what he knows.

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaBanRN View Post

Alot of guys aren't educated about it because they are grossed out by the birth process. I couldn't talk to this baby's dad about birth much because everything I brought up was "gross." The dad of my oldest two kids knows alot about labor and birth, which I am proud of, because he values the knowledge and tries to tell other dads to be and mothers to be what he knows.



That sucks. Im sorry you have to deal with that. It would really bother me if a guy thought that making a baby was okay (sex) but the process of it coming into the world was "gross". IMO, if you are mature enough to stick your penis somewhere that might result in a baby, you should be mature enough to not be disgusted by what happens next.

I've never really thought about the fact that some men see it as this way. I guess its probably the same lot of men who think that a woman's menstrual cycle is gross.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 

There are definately many men who think it's gross...in the delivery room they stand staring up at the ceiling, anywhere but where it matters. They refuse to learn ANYTHING. Also I have heard men say that watching the birth was such a turn-off they have issues in their sex lives afterwards. I've always felt lucky that my husband is so matter-of-fact...what happens, happens, it's normal and life goes on. I'd hate to be with someone so shallow that seeing their child born turned them off sex with me. As embarassing as it was for me, even the pooping during labor didn't affect anything between us. That was always one of my huge fears(the pooping, not that I thought it would affect us).

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post




That sucks. Im sorry you have to deal with that. It would really bother me if a guy thought that making a baby was okay (sex) but the process of it coming into the world was "gross". IMO, if you are mature enough to stick your penis somewhere that might result in a baby, you should be mature enough to not be disgusted by what happens next.

I've never really thought about the fact that some men see it as this way. I guess its probably the same lot of men who think that a woman's menstrual cycle is gross.



My older kids' dad thinks the menstrual cycle is gross, but I mean, I guess alot of guys would think that, since they would like to think of a woman's vagina as clean and nice smelling and ready to do what they please to it. lol

 

post #9 of 9



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

There are definately many men who think it's gross...in the delivery room they stand staring up at the ceiling, anywhere but where it matters. They refuse to learn ANYTHING. Also I have heard men say that watching the birth was such a turn-off they have issues in their sex lives afterwards. I've always felt lucky that my husband is so matter-of-fact...what happens, happens, it's normal and life goes on. I'd hate to be with someone so shallow that seeing their child born turned them off sex with me. As embarassing as it was for me, even the pooping during labor didn't affect anything between us. That was always one of my huge fears(the pooping, not that I thought it would affect us).



Some guys just can't handle it, simply because seeing their partner in pain or seeing them bleeding is just too much. My sister's DP had panic attacks the whole time she was in labor until she was in the OR for a c-section. lol I don't think it's that they are shallow, but in a way, it "scars" them. Something is happening to a part of their partner's body that they love, and they don't know if it will be the same. It's mind over matter, really. To some men, they just don't think about it, as long as they are reassured that it'll go back to about the same proportions it was in pre-baby. lol

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Homebirth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › proud of my dh advocating natural birth